GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you think nintendo will ever stop treating Europe as third class?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
I personally think that they never will.
They try to keep Japan, USA and Europe seperate so they can make money out of all three.
What do you think? leave answers please.
Fri 08/03/02 at 13:20
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
I don't mind. a few months back i thought "How can i wait a few months for the love of my life to happened. (Gamecube)"
And here it is now, Just a few weeks to go. All i needed is too wait. and also the few thanks to nintendo, also 1 annoying point.

The launch date. Help. Did they have make it come out before all the SATS, GCSEs, A-levels!! Damm!! I'll be trying my best on the exam papers but thinking about the Gamecube back at home!!
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dr. Duck said:
"Anyway, the whole post was listing points that in my opinion were rubbish. 'Any at all?' You've got to be kidding!"

Ok, so here are the exact points that I made in my post that you described went on to say the following about:

"Sonic mate, in fairness, you always write great topics, but i have to say, you sometimes post some complete rubbish in other peoples'."

THE POINT I MADE IN MY POST:

1) The GC launch sales were low. Sales only picked up when the Panasonic Cube was released. (now, how you can disagree with a fact is beyone me??? After all you said "the whole post was listing points that in my opinion were rubbish")

2) The profit made from the game industry in Europe is bigger than that of america or Japan. (Again, this is fact. For you to disagree with it is like saying "I don't think the earth is round")

3) Japan gets more game releases than us. (Obviously true: they get near every game we get, as well as their Manga and Mecha games)

4) Ninty games(like almost all games) are release here AFTER Japan and America. (again, a FACT. How on earth can you disagree with it???)

5) Australian games (hwich are in PAL format) are cheaper, in most cases, than UK PAL games. (again, a fact)

Now, Dr. Duck...

You say that you disagree with the WHOLE POST, and that the points that I made were "COMPLETE RUBBISH". Yet you have yet to give an example of one point that you disagree with, instead just insulting my post blindly.

Now, seeing as my post was ALL fact, and no opinion, I would like to know how you manage to believe that EVERY point I made was rubbish.

Either:

*you are an arrogant idiot who (after being asked to name one point that you disagree with goes onto list NO points and instead say that all my points were rubbish) is simply completely incapable of supporting opinions with reasoning.

*You are a biased Nintendo fan who can't get their head out of the sand long enough to actually acknowledge given FACTS that may mean that Ninty is not all loving.

Sonic
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:50
He's right, ye know ;)
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
$h@ne0 wrote:
> He's right, ye know ;)

which bit... about everything I said being a fact, and thus proving Dr. Duck being stupid for trying to disagree with all of it. Or was it about Dr. Duck being an arrogant idiot? Perhaps it was the fact that he has, 3 times, said all the point in my topic were "complete rubbish" and refused to actually quote one point he disagreed with...
???

Sonic
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:58
Yes, I was saying that you were right about everything :0)
Sat 09/03/02 at 01:28
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Erm...what a stupid post!!! No offence, but don't you think that is a bit short-sighted?

Forgetting regionalisation of hardware and stuff like that, just put yourself in Nintendo's shoes. Imagine you have to launch the Gamecube, but to Japan, US, and Europe all at the same time. This causes two massive logistical problems:

1) Making them all in the first place
2) Distributing them all once they are made

Yes, this could be done, but that would mean delaying the launch for every region until the very last minute. This means they are not making any money in the meantime, and will have massive stocks of Hardware just sat there doing nothing as they try to make up the millions they will need.

From a companys financial point of view, this is a disaster. They need to make stock and sell it as quickly as they can. In order to facilitate this, they stagger the launches (too much in some cases, I admit). But, what would you rather do? Pay £150 for your Gamecube in May but after Japan and US, or £350 for it in May but at the same time as Japan and US? (not staggering a launch will have that kind if impact on hardware costs due to hardware just sat there doing nothing).

I don't think any region would be happy with that, so they have to stagger. Japan is always first with Nintendo because it is their home ground. US is next because they are a huge market, followed by Europe and the ROW.

Anyway, Nintendo are definitely on Europes side this time. Look at the PS2; $299 in the US, £299 in the UK. Xbox was/is the same. Gamecube was $199 in the US, but in the UK it is just £150 (that's what it should be anyway if retailers didn't hike up the price). On top of that, in what must be a first in Nintendo's history, they have got a very strong European marketing plan, and are building into the hardware a 60Hz mode so that we can all enjoy games as they were designed (full screen and at the correct speed).

Don't say Nintendo treat Europe as third class, because they don't. Getting it last may be a pain, but that's how they can make these things so cheap, and the inclusion of a true RGB SCART cable in the box is testament to their loyalty to us Europeans.

In terms of value and support, Europe has got the best Gamecube launch of the three regions.
Sat 09/03/02 at 01:47
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Shigsy: "Quick get my second class stamps"
Sat 09/03/02 at 08:44
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
???
Sat 09/03/02 at 08:55
What the hell are you on about Starlight?
Sat 09/03/02 at 13:44
Constantly we hear in games magazines, "game released in Japan, no idea when it will hit the European shores". Now I'm actually going to back Nintendo here.
The Snes was truly a better console than the Megadrive but though sold well in US and Japan it failed to out sell Sega's effort in Europe. The N64 suffered similar fate losing out to the Playstation and only beating it once in sales and this was in Japan.
So is the question more: Do european gamers treat Nintendo as third class?
In Japan, the public love their games to be original and maybe a little bit crazy. Nintendo is renowned for delivering both qualities in albeit small chunks.
The US is a massive market and being the rice beer drinking, fast food eating people that they are (or is that the New Millenium Britain), anythign with a bit of class sells for them.
In Europe, gamers do not buy consoles by their quality array of games but image. Europe is all about image, whats cool and whats not, and Nintendo has failed to keep their product in line with this western attitude. Sony thrashed it all over with its cool image and it sold.
Do Nintendo contiune releasing original, fun games or produce second rate games that add to the whole cool image of gaming just so they can earn the respect of Europe. But hell what do we Europeans know, we have a single currency which loses our national identity. Identity being something Nintendo may need to change in order to compete with Sony and money spinning Microsoft.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.