GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you think nintendo will ever stop treating Europe as third class?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
I personally think that they never will.
They try to keep Japan, USA and Europe seperate so they can make money out of all three.
What do you think? leave answers please.
Wed 13/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Finally someone in this room agrees with me.

Sure the N64 did have some of the best gaming moments ever, but to sum up the WHOLE console (inc Pricing, range of games, number of games etc), it wasn't that great.

Even if you say that it had better quality games than the PSX, it still lacked genres like fighting (realistic, not Smash bros) and realistic racers.

Anyway, rather than babble on, I'm gonna write a topic on this!

Sonic
Wed 13/03/02 at 16:57
Tell me about it! I only bought one because someone I knew could get it for £220. I was a megadrive man before that. N64 in truth wasnt actually that good. Specially now ive been playing on the cube for 3 months :)
Wed 13/03/02 at 16:10
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
GrimMetal wrote:
> The N64 came out a year after Japan with just 3 titles.

Now that really was the most abysmal marketting ever. In Japan the console launched with a MASSIVE release list......

ONE game.

And even though it was Mario 64, possibly the most revolutionary game ever, it's still not enough. 3 months after launch there were only 4 games out!

Then the console launches in Europe with 3 games and a £250 price tag. 2 weeks later the price drops to £150! What a complete joke!

Sonic
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:07
The N64 came out a year after Japan with just 3 titles.
Tue 12/03/02 at 22:56
Regular
Isn't it half a million for launch, another half million to make 1 mil total soon after?

I agree that it shouldn't be taking this long though, better forward planning and maybe lower hardware scales could have chopped quite a bit off our delay, i'm sure.
Tue 12/03/02 at 22:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Duck...

Your first point says that Ninty couldn't have predicted the scale of the Jap launch, and so couldn't therefore give Europe a launch so soon after this because they may have a sell out in Japan...

On the face of it, this is a very good point. However, when you look at how long it actually took Ninty to get a European release date public then surely you're point goes out the window?

They waited till about 5 months just before releasing the date! And considering how poor normal GCs are selling in Japan (hence meaning they have to make less for Japan, and can make more for here), then the launch still shouldn't be THIS far off Japan!

Oh, and then Ninty say they want to have 1 million release consoles in Europe. WHY??? Not only are they launching in a market already with 2 consoles in it, but they have released after Xmas (the highest console selling time), and there is no way they'll expect to shift that many consoles.

Pure tosh if you ask me. The only sensible reason for the delay is to give us 60Hz options, but it still shouldn't be EIGHT months after Japan!

Sonic
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:24
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
I think you'll find, from any
> offical source, that the GC's launch sales were awefully below par. There was a HUGE surplus of normal GC consoles

That's a heck of a long way from nintendo being able to (and being able to predict demand would be such that they could) provide enough machines for all global launches simultaneously, keeping the japanese launch in its scheduled date.

> (that's what I meant when I said that their no shortage of demand for it- I meant there are plenty of the consoles!)

hmm, still trying to see how this can make sense. no shortage of demand meaning that there are lots of consoles...

Oh, and what on Earth are you going on about console
> sell outs for??? The GC was so far off selling out that many stores refused a second shipment of the console in Japan!

Just trying to give an example of problems happening because there aren't enough consoles for demand. i think it happened on the dreamcast's uk launch in some parts of london and other cities, though my memory may be wrong on that. just was to show that it *can* sometimes be a problem when companies get their strategies wrong.

Next point
About the profit
> made in different continents. I said that Europe makes more profit than either
> America or Japan. This is plain fact. I then say that Nintendo, just on its own,
> makes more money from Japan and America, and less money from Europe.

Now, it
> should be blindingly obvious to any half-brained mongoose that this complete
> throws the original point (about Nintendo not supporting Europe because we make
> less profit) out of the window.

In fact, we make MORE profit than anywhere
> else in the world, and Nintendo should push to get into the European market
> more. The fact that they only get a small proportion of their profit from Europe
> just proves how much they have neglected the continent! Had they really put
> effort into us then they'd get a far higher proportion of their profits from us
> (ie, over a third by the figures quoted).

However, if i stretch my memory way back to the original post ( ;-) ), DavidJ said that nintendo make more money from America and Japan than Europe, giving it as an excuse for apparant preferential treatment of the first two countries.

While you pointed out that there is more potential profit for nintendo in europe, you acknowledged that the first post was right, that nintendo do currently make more profit elsewhere.

So, we have nintendo in a position of being able to give highest priority either to the regions where they have a track record of success and a relatively secure profit to take, or the region where there is potential to make more money, but less to assure them that their outlay will return this money, while the actions of prioritising this potential income will cause them to neglect their more stable paycheck.

I'm sure there are many convincing arguments for whether they should go for certainty or potential, but since none of them have even been made, for you to describe DavidJ's expressed point, that you can't blame nintendo for tending towards security, as 'rubbish' seems pretty... premature to say the least, in my opinion.
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:46
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dr. Duck...

"1- you think that it is possible to meet the purchasing demand of all three regions' consumers during globally simultaneous launches? So why did any console ever sell out anywhere? Also, see GpotterUK's post a little bit below for this in more depth. "

I think you'll find, from any offical source, that the GC's launch sales were awefully below par. There was a HUGE surplus of normal GC consoles (that's what I meant when I said that their no shortage of demand for it- I meant there are plenty of the consoles!)

When the Q cube came out, it sold like mad. However, since the Qcube and normal GC are made independantly this just meant there was a huge surplus of normal GCs lying around in Japan.

Oh, and what on Earth are you going on about console sell outs for??? The GC was so far off selling out that many stores refused a second shipment of the console in Japan!

Next point

About the profit made in different continents. I said that Europe makes more profit than either America or Japan. This is plain fact. I then say that Nintendo, just on its own, makes more money from Japan and America, and less money from Europe.

Now, it should be blindingly obvious to any half-brained mongoose that this complete throws the original point (about Nintendo not supporting Europe because we make less profit) out of the window.

In fact, we make MORE profit than anywhere else in the world, and Nintendo should push to get into the European market more. The fact that they only get a small proportion of their profit from Europe just proves how much they have neglected the continent! Had they really put effort into us then they'd get a far higher proportion of their profits from us (ie, over a third by the figures quoted).

Sonic
Sat 09/03/02 at 16:52
Regular
DD wrote:
...the whole post was listing points ..blahblah.. rubbish...

When i said 'the whole post' then, i was referring to *my* last post.
Sorry if that wasn't clear to you, and that you wasted your time writing your last post - I wasn't claiming *all* of your points were rubbish, just what i originally pointed out.

Okay, back to your original post, i'll take the first point, explain why i think it's rubbish. Only doing the one because i'm ill and going back to bed when i finish my soup:

"DavidJ wrote:
1. It's almost impossible to supply the demand of all Japan, USA and Europe, you just cannot make GC's quick enough.

[sonic:] That's nonsense. Gamecube sales in Japan are apaulingly low, with the Panasojnic Q cube being a far bigger seller. There is no shortage of demand of the normal GC (ie, the one we're getting)."

So:
1- you think that it is possible to meet the purchasing demand of all three regions' consumers during globally simultaneous launches? So why did any console ever sell out anywhere? Also, see GpotterUK's post a little bit below for this in more depth.
(I really hope that the blindingly obvious point that the problems he spoke about related to demand levels at launch, since it goes without saying that it clearly is possible to meet the demands later down the line, as it always *is* done.)

2- First you respond by saying how low the demand is in japan, then you immediately follow up by saying that there's 'no shortage of demand' for it. Do you see where that might not make sense?

Look at that, i only planned on giving one reason, the second comes along without even trying.

Yet you have yet to give an
> example of one point that you disagree with, instead just insulting my post
> blindly.

Speaking of which, i was going to mention the blindly insulting thing.

DavidJ's original post:
His 'point 1', as i've already posted above.
You leap in with "That's nonsense.", before only even backing it up by mentioning just one of the three regions he listed.

His next point- 'They get more money out of USA and Japan, can't blame them for that.'
You- 'Rubbish!' And then you partially agree with him, "You are right to say that Ninty make more money from the other continents..."

And he gets other such unsubstantiated comebacks as "Ummmmm... you are joking... right?" and "?!?!?!? What?!?!? Are you insane??"

Now, you get upset over 'rubbish'. That's all, someone calling some stuff you post rubbish, and, in your opinion, not backing it up well enough.
It really makes you appear a hypocrite when you do the same thing without making any more of an effort to provide convincing reasons with your own posts.

DD
Sat 09/03/02 at 13:44
Constantly we hear in games magazines, "game released in Japan, no idea when it will hit the European shores". Now I'm actually going to back Nintendo here.
The Snes was truly a better console than the Megadrive but though sold well in US and Japan it failed to out sell Sega's effort in Europe. The N64 suffered similar fate losing out to the Playstation and only beating it once in sales and this was in Japan.
So is the question more: Do european gamers treat Nintendo as third class?
In Japan, the public love their games to be original and maybe a little bit crazy. Nintendo is renowned for delivering both qualities in albeit small chunks.
The US is a massive market and being the rice beer drinking, fast food eating people that they are (or is that the New Millenium Britain), anythign with a bit of class sells for them.
In Europe, gamers do not buy consoles by their quality array of games but image. Europe is all about image, whats cool and whats not, and Nintendo has failed to keep their product in line with this western attitude. Sony thrashed it all over with its cool image and it sold.
Do Nintendo contiune releasing original, fun games or produce second rate games that add to the whole cool image of gaming just so they can earn the respect of Europe. But hell what do we Europeans know, we have a single currency which loses our national identity. Identity being something Nintendo may need to change in order to compete with Sony and money spinning Microsoft.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.