GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"spam, spam eggs and spam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/11/12 at 16:33
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have really been inundated with, you've guessed it - spam over the last few days. all kinds including ones with viruses attached. to various freeola email addresses. can't think why it's suddenly happening. anyone else experiencing a similar glut?
Sat 10/11/12 at 14:53
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I'm testing this now...

Hmmm... wrote:
I appreciate email isn't always immediate so tried a test to another normal and pro address - both came through fine

Was this using forwarding, or just sending a 'test' email to each address?

Tied another normal account forwarding to EmailPro - same results?

Just to confirm, I read 'same results' as "it still didn't work" - is that right?
Sat 10/11/12 at 14:59
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I've not tried anything with blacklisting or changing spam controls, just a basic test;

I set forwarding on a standard address to forward to both another standard address and an emailpro address and the message was successfully forwarded to both addresses within a minute or so.

Looks like forwarding is working ok from here...are you still having problems hmmm?
Sat 10/11/12 at 15:43
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Numnut.

Forwarding from one of my standard domains to an EmailPro one still isn't working for me?

I've just setup a Freeola500 account forwarding to my EmailPro account and that doesn't work either?

I'll raise a ticket (edit184060).

Very strangeor I've lost the plot!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Update: Freeola have replied saying they can't see why this is happening and are investigating further.

Update2: Freeola have 'tidied up' a few bits on my EmailPro account and forwarding is now working fine :¬)
Mon 12/11/12 at 14:19
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
There may have still been some legacy records for your EmailPro domain on the standard email servers. This would have meant that any emails that were being forwarded by the standard service, where it checks to see if an address exists internally first, would have been directed to the legacy account.
Mon 12/11/12 at 15:20
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Dean,
My ticket said something along those lines.

Worth noting that when email forwarding was in place the emails all went to a 'black hole' never to appear. I'm possibly going to move some other people to EmailPro - I trust this 'legacy records' issue has been plugged for new migrations now?

As I mentioned over the weekend my spam situation is now fine on standard email accounts after last weeks excitement :¬)
It would be good to know if this return to normal service was down to Freeola taking action or just because the spammers providers caught up with them?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/11/12 at 16:23
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've not been advised of what action was taken with regards to the reduction in spam messages, so unfortunately I can't provide more information about this. I would expect that either the filter adapted, or a manual block was put in place.

The legacy records are left on the server after upgrading for contingency (forwards messages received to the EmailPro service) while the DNS is updating, then are removed later when housekeeping is run. If forwarding is set up from a standard address to an EmailPro address (that was upgraded from standard email) between these times, the legacy records can cause this problem.

As your EmailPro domain name has had the legacy records removed from the standard email service, any further forwarding to this address shouldn't have this problem.
Mon 12/11/12 at 17:07
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Dean.

If anyone from Freeola can say if action was taken against the spam or not it would be useful. Then next time people will know whether to report it to you or not.

Re. Forwarding and EmailPro - As I mentioned it will be new EmailPro accounts (not mine) that I was concerned about. Forwarding from other Freeola accounts would be put in place soon after upgrading...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/11/12 at 17:56
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Well it is something our systems team are looking into so this problem should be resolved in the near future. In the mean time, I would advise contacting us via a support ticket when upgrading so that we can prevent the same problem recurring.
Mon 12/11/12 at 18:02
"Are you sure?"
Thanks - will do.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/11/12 at 18:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
dean5 wrote:
Well it is something our systems team are looking into so this problem should be resolved in the near future. In the mean time, I would advise contacting us via a support ticket when upgrading so that we can prevent the same problem recurring.

So the plot thickens ... it was 'legacy' problems then that caused this:

Triplicate DD Email

and not a server upgrade per se ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.