GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"spam, spam eggs and spam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/11/12 at 16:33
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have really been inundated with, you've guessed it - spam over the last few days. all kinds including ones with viruses attached. to various freeola email addresses. can't think why it's suddenly happening. anyone else experiencing a similar glut?
Wed 21/11/12 at 14:40
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Glad to have been able to help.
Wed 21/11/12 at 13:32
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
excellent. just the answer I wanted too!

thanks
Wed 21/11/12 at 11:30
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Sorry, I've just seen your response. On EmailPro, the message goes through all spam protection, and the access technology used to connect to the server doesn't affect this.

So for instance, a message that comes through if accessing messages via POP on EmailPro will also come through if accessing messages via IMAP.
Wed 21/11/12 at 10:27
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
bump

webcity1 wrote:
@dean5 are these levels available for both pop and imap email setups?
Sat 17/11/12 at 18:40
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@dean5 are these levels available for both pop and imap email setups?
Fri 16/11/12 at 15:18
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
With EmailPro, there are two levels of protection. At the first level, where it looks at where the message is coming from, if the message is rejected, it is not possible to have the message still come through.

At the second level, where it looks at the message itself, you have a scalable filter which you can adjust according to your requirements. You are also able to set whether messages are flagged as spam and still delivered, or whether they are bounced.
Thu 15/11/12 at 09:24
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@dean5

I think, ultimately any email address is going to suffer this over time. even though I'm very careful about where my email addresses are stored, unfortunately I know customers with hotmail (yuk!) and yahoo (pyuke!) email address books have been hacked in the past as I have got those kind of emails, if you know what I mean. It's difficult to tell customers not to store my email address in their all too hackable address books so as I say a usable, workable email address will eventually start getting spam

I am seriously looking at the email-pro route for some other domains I have.

one question: If I use the option to have email intercepted by freeola, using a pop method, are the junk mails permanently deleted before they reach my inbox or does freeola store them somewhere, e.g. can they be accessed from webmail? this is more for a customer who I suspect will want this option
Tue 13/11/12 at 19:48
"Are you sure?"
Thanks - sounds good.

NB. Spam situation still fine on my accounts.
It would still be nice to know if any action was taken.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 13/11/12 at 19:32
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Hmmm....., I've heard back from our systems team and a fix is now in place which should prevent the issue that you have experienced from recurring.

Webcity1, regarding the spam increase. We are not aware of a general increase in spam and email addresses that we have in place on the standard service don't seem to be receiving this kind of mail.

Does this seem to happen across all addresses or just specific addresses?

If it is to just specific addresses, it may be worth looking at if these addresses could have been given out, or whether they could be published on the internet anywhere that they can be easily read and added to a mailing list.

If your email address is on a mailing list of this kind, there isn't really any way to have it removed. I would however advise against downloading images or following any links (although I'm sure you wouldn't anyway). It may also be worth reporting the senders via a spam reporting service such as SpamCop.net.

http://www.spamcop.net/
Mon 12/11/12 at 20:35
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
spam on the up again. admittedly not to emailpro address. couple of hilarious emails just received from gillian at the bbc "strictly come dancing" asking if I I want to wear a dancing costume while working (gardening!) actually this may be genuine...as I read it seems to be...I am now off to check and if it is at least it's been good for a giggle

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.