GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite things from your childhood"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/12 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
More of a general reminiscing topic than something more structured.

What do you remember fondly about your childhood? What do you miss that might not be around any more? Maybe there's something you don't miss and you're glad that you don't have to have or do any more?

For me, as with many people, I think I end up looking at the past through rose tinted specs. I always think that the cartoons we had in our day were better than most of the stuff on TV, for instance.

I miss gentle stuff like Bagpuss , weird, way out programmes like the Singing Ringing Tree and stuff that wasn't afraid to scare kids like early Dramarama and even the kids educational TV like The Boy From Space (first shown in Black and White then remade in colour in the 80s)

I remember having 10p and being able to get 20 half penny sweets, with some amazing stuff to choose from, including cubes of sherbet with dice designs on.

Riding in the boot of a car with no seatbelts and no safety concerns. It meant having a party of 10 children to take to the park was easy if you had a hatchback,

Some great beer and cigarette commercials too. They always seemed to have the best PR people with interesting ideas for adverts.

Free stuff inside cereal packets. You don't see that these days, probably health and safety with choking. But we used to get cards for films, I still have some Star Trek ones from the first film, as well as tons of PG Tips cards full of interesting facts (the underwater and mystery ones were the best).

So what makes you long for the old days?
Tue 21/08/12 at 13:02
"possibly impossible"
Mine was the top one here
Tue 21/08/12 at 12:34
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I was talking to my missus about this one, and she remembered a couple of things that I'd forgotten.

Gold Rush bubblegum.. used to come in a little cloth bag, looked like gold nuggets.

Old English Spangles.. bit wierd, but I liked them.

Sweet tobacco...

Talking of bikes, no BMX in my day, my mate had a Chopper... Ugly, stupid and totally impractical, but he loved it.
Tue 21/08/12 at 11:22
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nothing so grand pete ... we had, height of luxury, Sturmey-Archer AW 3-speed hub bicycles with saddle bag and front carrier, which was occasionally used for Hovis deliveries!
We than graduated to 5-speed Campagnolo rear derailleur gears, again the height of luxury, drop handle bars and centre-pull brakesets - we all wanted to win the Tour de France!
These mighty machines were gradually converted to fixed-wheel bicycles with no real need of any brakes!
Tue 21/08/12 at 09:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
I say BMX rules! Who needs to go up big hills when you can do jumps and bunny hops?

Yes, I had a BMX, a red and yellow Raleigh Burner, and it was great.

Think that's actually the same model my mate had, his had a blue frame with yellow plastic looking wheels which only had about 4/5 spokes. Even though it only had a single gear I could never keep up with him on my 10 tonne beast. I did try to do bunny hops on mine but they didn't go well TBH, my feet would leap 2 foot off the pedals and my ass 2 foot off the seat but it's wheels stayed firmly planted on the ground! Mine did have one feature the plastic wheeled BMX could not match though, that was the obligatory piece of cardboard wedged through the spokes to make it sound like a motorbike (or so I thought anyway!).
Mon 20/08/12 at 23:00
"possibly impossible"
I say BMX rules! Who needs to go up big hills when you can do jumps and bunny hops?

Yes, I had a BMX, a red and yellow Raleigh Burner, and it was great.
Mon 20/08/12 at 21:47
Regular
"I like turtles"
I had one of the very first evolutions of what have now become mountain bikes. Picked up a leaflet from my local Raleigh dealer which showed dudes riding across the Himalaya's on these things. Finally got one for my birthday and it was totally useless as it weighed an absolute tonne, think the softest thing I got it to go over was tarmac! Spent most of its life being dug out of places I'd managed to get it stuck in!
Mon 20/08/12 at 19:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
Princess Aura, oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Mon 20/08/12 at 19:54
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:

Ooh, pink custard. Good call.

And, yes, no artificial sweetners. It really bugs me to see a drink or food item that says 'no artificial flavours' when it has loads of artificial sweetners. That IS an artificial flavour you dunderheads!

And Flash Gordon, yep, recently got the Blu-ray which came with a remastered soundtrack cd too.

Oh, and even though I wasn't in to football, hearing the scores read out in that dry English voice every Saturday, because I knew good things were coming up after.

Yup, my Grandad used to watch the Saturday sports lineup without fail, and my nan would "check her pools"...

Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy, Rollerball Rocco....

Dickie Davies...

Benny Hill, the Two Ronnies, Morcambe and Wise...

Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker...

Hammer House of Horror...

Texan Bars, Golden Nuggets, my nan making porridge for breakfast (with salt on it, not sugar!)...

My Great Granny covering the spoons in a lightning storm...
...and the mirrors....
...and turning off "anythin' 'letrical" as she put it...
Mon 20/08/12 at 19:27
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
School milk, pink custard, real butter with all the lard in it...

Not worrying about cholesterol, saturated fats, or "what's in my low fat, low sugar, low salt, low taste non- processed organic non- meat burger"....

Flash Gordon and the BEST film soundtrack ever (except for the Aristocats, which my nan took me to see, bless her!)...

My mum and dad getting our first colour TV....

Tennis racquets made of wood and the stringy parts of a cat....

I mean, really c'mon! Crash Bandicoot's the best you can do?:-)

Ooh, pink custard. Good call.

And, yes, no artificial sweetners. It really bugs me to see a drink or food item that says 'no artificial flavours' when it has loads of artificial sweetners. That IS an artificial flavour you dunderheads!

And Flash Gordon, yep, recently got the Blu-ray which came with a remastered soundtrack cd too.

Oh, and even though I wasn't in to football, hearing the scores read out in that dry English voice every Saturday, because I knew good things were coming up after.
Mon 20/08/12 at 19:04
Regular
"How Ironic"
Ohhhhhhh, here it goes!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.