GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite things from your childhood"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/12 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
More of a general reminiscing topic than something more structured.

What do you remember fondly about your childhood? What do you miss that might not be around any more? Maybe there's something you don't miss and you're glad that you don't have to have or do any more?

For me, as with many people, I think I end up looking at the past through rose tinted specs. I always think that the cartoons we had in our day were better than most of the stuff on TV, for instance.

I miss gentle stuff like Bagpuss , weird, way out programmes like the Singing Ringing Tree and stuff that wasn't afraid to scare kids like early Dramarama and even the kids educational TV like The Boy From Space (first shown in Black and White then remade in colour in the 80s)

I remember having 10p and being able to get 20 half penny sweets, with some amazing stuff to choose from, including cubes of sherbet with dice designs on.

Riding in the boot of a car with no seatbelts and no safety concerns. It meant having a party of 10 children to take to the park was easy if you had a hatchback,

Some great beer and cigarette commercials too. They always seemed to have the best PR people with interesting ideas for adverts.

Free stuff inside cereal packets. You don't see that these days, probably health and safety with choking. But we used to get cards for films, I still have some Star Trek ones from the first film, as well as tons of PG Tips cards full of interesting facts (the underwater and mystery ones were the best).

So what makes you long for the old days?
Mon 20/08/12 at 18:53
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Pokemon was my childhood. Beyblades. Yu-Gi-Oh cards. All the classic Nickelodeon shows (Kenan and Kel, CatDog, Angry Beavers, Action League Now, Sister Sister, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Saved by the Bell, Are You Afraid Of The Dark? etc. etc.)

Of course, some of those things probably seem like yesterday to some of you, but that was my childhood. Oddly I never liked listening to music until I was in my teens.

Most of that I remember from when my boy was growing up...

Used to like the Angry Beavers. I also remember one particularly annoying episode of Kenan and Kel..

"I...Dropped the screw...in the tuna!" is the only line I remember from it.

Drove me nuts, and they must have screened it almost constantly for about a month.

...Now fetch me a kipper, a large pail of custard and a ball of fine twine and meet me in the parking lot in twenty minutes.:-)
Mon 20/08/12 at 18:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Pokemon was my childhood. Beyblades. Yu-Gi-Oh cards. All the classic Nickelodeon shows (Kenan and Kel, CatDog, Angry Beavers, Action League Now, Sister Sister, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Saved by the Bell, Are You Afraid Of The Dark? etc. etc.)

Of course, some of those things probably seem like yesterday to some of you, but that was my childhood. Oddly I never liked listening to music until I was in my teens.
Mon 20/08/12 at 18:32
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
School milk, pink custard, real butter with all the lard in it...

Not worrying about cholesterol, saturated fats, or "what's in my low fat, low sugar, low salt, low taste non- processed organic non- meat burger"....

Flash Gordon and the BEST film soundtrack ever (except for the Aristocats, which my nan took me to see, bless her!)...

My mum and dad getting our first colour TV....

Tennis racquets made of wood and the stringy parts of a cat....

I mean, really c'mon! Crash Bandicoot's the best you can do?:-)
Mon 20/08/12 at 17:04
Regular
"How Ironic"
Ah Crash Team Racing....

Ooga booga!
Mon 20/08/12 at 16:59
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Grandprix wrote:
I'm guessing you beat all the Oxide time trials and got every single Platinum relic on Crash Team Racing then? I should still have the save file to prove I did it.

I've sincerely and honestly done this at least once.

Warhunt - Don't push me!
Mon 20/08/12 at 16:52
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm guessing you beat all the Oxide time trials and got every single Platinum relic on Crash Team Racing then? I should still have the save file to prove I did it.
Mon 20/08/12 at 16:20
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
motomod wrote:
Warhunt wrote:
Crash Team Racing (PS1) - I am unbeatable, no doubts.

Errr are you sure. Me and Lewis (sure you have met him) will take you to the cleaners.

You'll be flattened like Crash after being run over by a runaway barrel.
You'll be burned like Crash after taking my exhaust fumes on a power slide.
Mon 20/08/12 at 15:36
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Warhunt wrote:
Favourite things from my childhood? .... My childhood I guess.

Agreeing with this thoroughly, everything from my childhood seems awesome from memory. To sum up my fondest memories:

Pokemon - I used to be able to recite all of the 151 original in order
Biker Mice from Mars - The toys bikes were incredible
Mario Kart Snes - I spent far too long playing this

Perhaps a thread of things you still enjoy from childhood would be good? Mine would be:

Dragonball Z - Not sure why, but I still love this show.
Crash Team Racing (PS1) - I am unbeatable, no doubts.
Mon 20/08/12 at 14:53
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
pb wrote:
Warhunt wrote:
[i]Favourite things from my childhood? .... My childhood I guess.

That's not exactly helping push the conversation forward, now, is it? :)[/i]

Guess not, but it makes it no less accurate :)
Mon 20/08/12 at 14:36
"possibly impossible"
Something else I forgot....

Stinky Stickers. I never managed to get the complete collection but I was addicted to the grape one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.