GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite things from your childhood"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/12 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
More of a general reminiscing topic than something more structured.

What do you remember fondly about your childhood? What do you miss that might not be around any more? Maybe there's something you don't miss and you're glad that you don't have to have or do any more?

For me, as with many people, I think I end up looking at the past through rose tinted specs. I always think that the cartoons we had in our day were better than most of the stuff on TV, for instance.

I miss gentle stuff like Bagpuss , weird, way out programmes like the Singing Ringing Tree and stuff that wasn't afraid to scare kids like early Dramarama and even the kids educational TV like The Boy From Space (first shown in Black and White then remade in colour in the 80s)

I remember having 10p and being able to get 20 half penny sweets, with some amazing stuff to choose from, including cubes of sherbet with dice designs on.

Riding in the boot of a car with no seatbelts and no safety concerns. It meant having a party of 10 children to take to the park was easy if you had a hatchback,

Some great beer and cigarette commercials too. They always seemed to have the best PR people with interesting ideas for adverts.

Free stuff inside cereal packets. You don't see that these days, probably health and safety with choking. But we used to get cards for films, I still have some Star Trek ones from the first film, as well as tons of PG Tips cards full of interesting facts (the underwater and mystery ones were the best).

So what makes you long for the old days?
Mon 20/08/12 at 12:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Micronauts, Cyborg and Muton...

Sweet cigarettes, and fruit salads and blackjacks at four for a penny.

Wagon Wheels the size of your head.

My first five- gear racing bike (I was the envy of all my mates).

Being able to go up the road without worrying about getting punched in the face, or mugged, or insulted...

...probably due to a distinct lack of chavs and morons.

Book shops being everywhere.

Model kit shops (we had an excellent one right near us, wall to wall model kits).

Holidays in Walton on the Naze with my nan.

...Basically, all the nice things about life at the time.
Mon 20/08/12 at 11:50
"possibly impossible"
Warhunt wrote:
Favourite things from my childhood? .... My childhood I guess.

That's not exactly helping push the conversation forward, now, is it? :)
Mon 20/08/12 at 09:59
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Favourite things from my childhood? .... My childhood I guess.
Sun 19/08/12 at 21:51
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
Fireball XL5? A little after my time, I use to watch Supercar.

Fortunately my wife grew up watching Thunderbirds, so I'll be able to introduce my children to all the Gerry Anderson classics. I'm surprised how many there are.

You might be experiencing this already with your girls pb, but I'm not looking forward to the day my family are at the table and everyone is busy texting and surfing the internet. I wish my kids could experience growing up without all these distractions. Now I'm off to rest in bed and watch Murder She Wrote on the iPad.

My youngest is already addicted to watching stuff on her iPod at the dinner table, so I've had to ban it. She watches the same film 10 times.
Sun 19/08/12 at 14:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Machie wrote:
DL, I hope everyone is fine and enjoying the sunny weekend. :)

All's fine here Machie and I hope everything is with you and yours. We had Millie for the day yesterday and she's getting to be a 'right little comic' ... suppose just like her 'gampa' :¬) Think I'm due for another session tomorrow morning, so looking forward to that. She's also started teething :¬( Which is not nice to experience, when there isn't a lot that you can initially do!
Sun 19/08/12 at 14:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
Just kidding DL!

My dad and uncle worked near the set of Fireball XL5 and went to see it being made (no security in those days). They even threw out the old film that wasn't used in the bins at the back of the studio.

Remember watching the repeats of the show, along with Stingray and Captain Scarlett.

I know :¬) Shame about the discarded film, could be worth a bob or two today as the series only ran for about a year! Classic Gerry Anderson pre-Thunderbirds.
Sun 19/08/12 at 13:59
Regular
Fireball XL5? A little after my time, I use to watch Supercar.

Fortunately my wife grew up watching Thunderbirds, so I'll be able to introduce my children to all the Gerry Anderson classics. I'm surprised how many there are.

You might be experiencing this already with your girls pb, but I'm not looking forward to the day my family are at the table and everyone is busy texting and surfing the internet. I wish my kids could experience growing up without all these distractions. Now I'm off to rest in bed and watch Murder She Wrote on the iPad.

DL, I hope everyone is fine and enjoying the sunny weekend. :)
Sun 19/08/12 at 13:12
"possibly impossible"
Just kidding DL!

My dad and uncle worked near the set of Fireball XL5 and went to see it being made (no security in those days). They even threw out the old film that wasn't used in the bins at the back of the studio.

Remember watching the repeats of the show, along with Stingray and Captain Scarlett.
Sun 19/08/12 at 10:01
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:

Even in my youth we never really had computers at home or school. Many offices were just starting to use them when I went in to work in 1989 and my own practice with them (my first when I was 11 or 12, which is when the Spectrum and BBC first arrived) made me the go-to guy for asking questions or setting them up.

But, DL, we all want to know what your favourite programmes, toys and stuff was like when you were younger. You know, back in Victorian Britain ;)

One favourite was the TV series Fireball XL5 and a toy would be a model of that spaceship. As for computers, I taught using those you mentioned when they were first introduced into schools - BBC B, BBC Master, RM Nimbus, RM Windowbox (WinOS 3.1) etc etc and associated languages :¬) Not so much Victorian pb, just pre-decimalisation haha :¬D Unlike yourself ;¬)
Sat 18/08/12 at 22:34
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Arrived late at this one pb, but no great shakes in that post other than 'you've just turned forty' but I remember sweets costing a farthing a bag and what a great selection of sweets we had then!

...but no internet haha

I bet there are pictures of them on the internet though. Go on, have a look!

Even in my youth we never really had computers at home or school. Many offices were just starting to use them when I went in to work in 1989 and my own practice with them (my first when I was 11 or 12, which is when the Spectrum and BBC first arrived) made me the go-to guy for asking questions or setting them up. Pity I didn't take it further, I did get offered a conditional place in Bristol doing programming and systems analyst stuff, but decided to go into teaching.

But, DL, we all want to know what your favourite programmes, toys and stuff was like when you were younger. You know, back in Victorian Britain ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.