GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THQ say X-Box sales are increasing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/12/02 at 09:40
Regular
According to IGN.

"Earlier today in a Dow Jones release, THQ's president and CEO Brian Farrell said that he thinks that Microsoft is "gaining traction" with sales of its Xbox console. He also noted that Nintendo's next-generation hardware seems to be in a popularity slump.
"I think we'll hear better Xbox hardware sales, while GameCube is still struggling," Farrell said.

Farrell's comments are the latest in a stream of complaints from publishers dissatisfied with GameCube's current selling rate in the market and adds to growing industry support for Microsoft's year-old console.

Nintendo of America is betting on a strong showing of its big holiday title Metroid Prime, a first-person action-adventure set in a sci-fi backdrop, coupled with its new Platinum GameCube, to drive sales of hardware and software through the fourth quarter. Meanwhile Xbox is banking on the success of Xbox Live and a plump 2003 lineup which includes Halo 2, Fable, and Midtown Madness 3.

More as it becomes available."

And people still think X-Box is dying.
Thu 19/12/02 at 22:42
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I expect Gamecube will takeover X Box.
Thu 19/12/02 at 20:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Xbox sales are higher than gamecube in USA and Europe, but the gamecube is trumping the Xbox to such an extent in Japan that it really doesnt matter.
Thu 19/12/02 at 16:04
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
hurray another person apart from the loyal fans of xbox has said that sales are increasing!
Thu 19/12/02 at 12:47
Regular
"accidental superher"
J-42 wrote:
> 'THQ says the X Box sales are in creasing'
>
> I say theey're talking out of their botty's

they're not...
just read this from CVG:

"PS2 shifted 111,066 units, a slight drop of two percent on the previous week, while Xbox achieved sales of 32,805, a rise of 18 percent, and GameCube an increase of 16 percent to 13,403. GBA sales by fell eight percent over the same period to 29,899.

With PS2 in an unassailable position and Xbox now seemingly well established in the number two spot, GameCube has a lot of catching up to do in 2003"
Wed 18/12/02 at 21:31
Maverick42 wrote:
> Really? I doubt that very much. I've been impressed with some X-Box
> games. If Nintendo go bankrupt (never going to happen), I see no
> reason why they should refund each GameCube.

I doubt your doubt.

I see a reason. People didnt buy a Gamecube for them to stop supplying games months later.
Theres got to be a law against it somewhere.

> You're mental! Super Mario Sunshine! Resident Evil! And so on and so
> forth. Take a closer look.

Im looking closer.
SMS - Dont get me started. Every SNES mario game, apart from maybe 2, was GREAT. Then they got worse.
Graphics dont impress me so a remake of a game I played years ago doesnt impress me.

> Yes they have.

No they havent. They have the Gamecube. Big deal.
Sony have the most popular console and a extremely wide range of popular electronic products.
Microsoft is the PC empire. Bill Gates is rich for a reason, and that reason is the amount of sales he gets.

> Prove it.

Prove they are.

The fact that Microsoft and Virgin are the two richest companies sort of proves Nintendo isnt richer than MS so how can it be?

> Europe's a huge market. Pulling out, only to re-enter would be very
> bad business.

Re-enter? Who said anything about that.
If Nintendo do leave the European market then their fanbase will go to an all time low.
Not many people will like them once they abandon them.
Plus, if they declare themselves bankrupt, to avoid paying fees and lawsuits, then they cant legally enter the market again unless its under a different name.
Once youre bankrupt youre bankrupt for life.
Wed 18/12/02 at 20:31
Regular
WhirlWind wrote:
> lol what the hell you going on about nintendo richer than sony and
> microsoft LOL sony have sold the most consoles plus they are one of
> the biggest eletrical appliance makers in the world and microsoft are
> one of the richest companys in the world anyway it does'nt matter how
> much money they loose on the xbox they get it back 100 times over
> throu selling their pc software etc.

Microsoft's games department have lost at least $2 Billion on the X-Box, and have stated they will never make a profit but will continue with it to produce a large user base for X-Box 2.

Sony.. I'm not so sure.

Nintendo, after releasing a new console that will end up coming second in sales worldwide, and having GBA sales to rival the PS2, have (apparently) managed to scrape the most profit this year.
Wed 18/12/02 at 12:25
Regular
"Panasonic Rules !!!"
Bankrupt? Nintendo have made the most profit this year! They're practically the richest company in gaming!

lol what the hell you going on about nintendo richer than sony and microsoft LOL sony have sold the most consoles plus they are one of the biggest eletrical appliance makers in the world and microsoft are one of the richest companys in the world anyway it does'nt matter how much money they loose on the xbox they get it back 100 times over throu selling their pc software etc.

1)microsoft
2)sony
3)nintendo

their you microsoft the richest followed by sony then nintendo that is why nintendo might have a hard time as time goes on becasue sony and microsoft get money from their other products nintendo cannot becasue it just makes games consoles
Tue 17/12/02 at 23:37
Regular
meh

Should point out that the 'one game sell console' remark is true.

Why do you think Microsoft were so desperate to buy out Bungie?

Hence forcing PC gamers who had been waiting for four years to buy an XBox to play it.

Apart from 'hardcore' gamers who would read up on everything, Halo was the only XBox game at launch to appeal to the casual gamer. As was Mario 64 on the N64.
Tue 17/12/02 at 23:25
Regular
Your Olympic Hero wrote:
> If Nintendo stops selling Ill by annoyed unless they refund people for
> every Gamecube and every game.

Why? It's got great games as it is, and I'd like more, though if I was stuck with just them I wouldn't mind so much.

> Hopefully theyll have to, but probably not, especially if they just
> declare their European branch bankrupt. =/

Bankrupt? Nintendo have made the most profit this year! They're practically the richest company in gaming!
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:20
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Silent85 wrote:
> when they were showing what nintendo were advertising the said
> possibly nintendo's last chance with a picture of zelda posters.
>
> Who and what are you babbling about?

you asked where I got the info from!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.