GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THQ say X-Box sales are increasing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/12/02 at 09:40
Regular
According to IGN.

"Earlier today in a Dow Jones release, THQ's president and CEO Brian Farrell said that he thinks that Microsoft is "gaining traction" with sales of its Xbox console. He also noted that Nintendo's next-generation hardware seems to be in a popularity slump.
"I think we'll hear better Xbox hardware sales, while GameCube is still struggling," Farrell said.

Farrell's comments are the latest in a stream of complaints from publishers dissatisfied with GameCube's current selling rate in the market and adds to growing industry support for Microsoft's year-old console.

Nintendo of America is betting on a strong showing of its big holiday title Metroid Prime, a first-person action-adventure set in a sci-fi backdrop, coupled with its new Platinum GameCube, to drive sales of hardware and software through the fourth quarter. Meanwhile Xbox is banking on the success of Xbox Live and a plump 2003 lineup which includes Halo 2, Fable, and Midtown Madness 3.

More as it becomes available."

And people still think X-Box is dying.
Sat 21/12/02 at 00:06
Regular
When it comes to big name exclusives though, the Gamecube line-up spanks Xbox's with a big, king sized ear Tennis bat.

But anyway i don't wanna get into an argument about who's got the most exclusives, these arguments get so feckin petty sometimes.

*runs off to drool over Zelda footage*
Fri 20/12/02 at 22:52
Regular
Amount is one thing, quality is another.

Whether you prefer the Xbox games list or the Gamecube games list is mostly down to opinion I suppose. I can pick great titles from both of them.

Having said that, most multiformat mags seem to prefer the Gamecubes offering, not least with the likes of Zelda and Metroid not too far off - Metroid being the biggest twist on FP games since Goldeneye, and Zelda living up to the expectations of the series, getting perfect reviews.

That's not to say that MS don't have a fair few killers of their own, but the only area in which the Xbox REALLY excites me is Xbox live, and that won't be available to most of us (even if broadband is in our area, it doesn't mean we can afford to shell out for it...) for a long while yet...

But hey, I'm a biased Ninty, I WOULD take the Gamecube's side...
Fri 20/12/02 at 20:52
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
In reply to the Tiltawhirl exclusive list...

Halo 2
Dead Or Alive 4
Dead Or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball
Project Gothem Racing 2
Amped 2
Ninja Gaiden
Panzer Dragoon Orta
House Of The Dead 3
Kameo: Elements Of Power
Perfect Dark 2
Steel Battalion
Fable
WWE War Is War 2
Psychonauts
Tao Feng
Sudeki
True Fantasy Live Online
Dino Crisis 3
Midtown Madness 3
Kung Fu Chaos
Racing Evoluzione
Toejam & Earl 3
Rallisport Challenge 2
Shenmue 2
BC

Theres a decent number of X-Box exclusives on the way. Thats not including the titles shared with PS2, GC and PC such as...

Counter Strike
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars: Galaxies
Metal Gear Solid Substance
Doom 3
Driver 3
Soul Caliber 2
Battle Engine Aquila
XIII
Deus Ex 2
Phantasy Star Online 2
Starcraft Ghost
Burnout 2
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Operation Flashpoint
Mafia

The lists go on and on. Nintendo has some good exclusives and shared titles on the way, but it doesn't match the amount coming to X-Box.
Fri 20/12/02 at 16:47
Regular
"LiveTag=Lord Justic"
Its selling twice as much in the Uk than GC not GBA
Fri 20/12/02 at 15:54
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Justice wrote:
> This was taken from a bbc new website report earlier today - Good
> News!
>
> In the UK, Microsoft says its console is outselling the GameCube by
> two to one

That's utter codswallop! No way is the X-Box selling more units than the GBA - it's just not possible!
Fri 20/12/02 at 15:53
Regular
Justice wrote:
> This was taken from a bbc new website report earlier today - Good
> News!

And this was taken from IGN.com

December 18, 2002 - Today Nintendo released first official sales numbers regarding a number of its holiday products. Everything is based largely on the sales spike that occurred during the November shopping season. Following is the bullet-point list that the company released, complete with plenty of comparisons to its competitors:
The November NPD report of sales data from American retailers shows that Nintendo GameCube jumped more than three full percentage points in next generation console share. Meanwhile, PlayStation 2 increased two percentage points ... all at the expense of Microsoft's Xbox ... which lost five points of the market.
Unit sales of Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox were dead even in November (468,000 units each) -- despite Microsoft giving away two free games with their hardware.
Nintendo GameCube also showed the biggest jump in software sales, climbing more than 150 percent over October totals compared to 97 percent for the Xbox and 48 percent for PlayStation 2.
With the entry of Metroid Prime, Nintendo GameCube is on track to have four new titles this year eclipse one half-million unit sales, while no new Xbox title has yet to reach that mark.
Both Metroid Prime for Nintendo GameCube (#2) and MetroidFusion for Game Boy Advance (#10) appeared among the top 10 sellers for all game sales in November.
With sell-through of 1.3 million units, Game Boy Advance was as popular in November as PlayStation 2. Game Boy represents 33 percent of the total hardware market.
Nintendo held 46 percent of the total hardware share for the month of November, an increase of 11 percent over October. Sony held 42 percent (-6 percent), while Microsoft held only 12 percent (-5 percent).

Ooooooh spank you very much
Fri 20/12/02 at 15:50
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
, I think Nintendo are lagging
> behind the other 2 in the number of quality titles coming during 2003
> at the moment.

That's a likkle joke right?

Zelda
Metroid Prime
Resi Evil Zero
1080 White Storm
F-Zero
Lylatwars Armada
Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe
Project Devil
Dead Phoenix
Project Number 03
Too Human
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Mario 128
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Wario world
Pikmin 2
Monkey ball 2

I could carry on naming the exclusives but it would get very boring.

If there's one thing Cube will not do it's lag behind on the quality games front. That's just the exclusives as well.
Fri 20/12/02 at 15:46
Regular
"LiveTag=Lord Justic"
This was taken from a bbc new website report earlier today - Good News!

According to market analysts NPD Group, 468,000 Xboxes were sold in the US in November, nearly double the figure for October.

Microsoft said its console has been consistently selling more than the GameCube for the past seven months in the US.

The picture is similar in the Europe, where holiday sales have pushed the Xbox into the number two spot.

In the UK, Microsoft says its console is outselling the GameCube by two to one
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:22
Regular
LOL, either that or someones foot either way I will be happy ;)
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:00
Regular
"ProGolfer"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Mav you are the little Ninty geek who talks about Nintendo all the
> time, personnaly I think you need to really get a life and stop
> kissing your GameCube!

DOnt worry ali gravity will take affect on his balls in the future, maybe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.