GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THQ say X-Box sales are increasing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/12/02 at 09:40
Regular
According to IGN.

"Earlier today in a Dow Jones release, THQ's president and CEO Brian Farrell said that he thinks that Microsoft is "gaining traction" with sales of its Xbox console. He also noted that Nintendo's next-generation hardware seems to be in a popularity slump.
"I think we'll hear better Xbox hardware sales, while GameCube is still struggling," Farrell said.

Farrell's comments are the latest in a stream of complaints from publishers dissatisfied with GameCube's current selling rate in the market and adds to growing industry support for Microsoft's year-old console.

Nintendo of America is betting on a strong showing of its big holiday title Metroid Prime, a first-person action-adventure set in a sci-fi backdrop, coupled with its new Platinum GameCube, to drive sales of hardware and software through the fourth quarter. Meanwhile Xbox is banking on the success of Xbox Live and a plump 2003 lineup which includes Halo 2, Fable, and Midtown Madness 3.

More as it becomes available."

And people still think X-Box is dying.
Fri 20/12/02 at 12:24
Regular
Mav you are the little Ninty geek who talks about Nintendo all the time, personnaly I think you need to really get a life and stop kissing your GameCube!
Fri 20/12/02 at 09:53
Maverick42 wrote:
> There's lots coming for the GameCube. There's loads of great and
> original games, plus the megaton announcement and their online plans,
> too.

Megaton? Never heard of it. =/
Fri 20/12/02 at 09:48
Maverick42 wrote:
> There's a game for everyone on the GameCube. In fact, there's at least
> one game for everyone on each console.

Really? Well I have yet to play a game I really like on the Gamecube.

> Not at all. Did SEGA refund anyone? No.

They didnt decide to just leave Europe. They couldnt afford to continue. Not positive on this one but didnt their console division declare themselves bankrupt?

> Well, that's your opinion. The other 95% of gamers seem to beg to
> differ.

Games arent about graphics. Play some older games (Snes, Genesis, Amiga)and youll realise they are on a whole a lot more fun than most current games.
Yes thats opinion but as I recall I did state that. Then you try and tell me there are games that I should like.
Games could be so realistic they look 100% natural and I wouldnt care if the game wasnt fun to play.

> Look at the facts! Nintendo have made the most profit! Microsoft made
> the least!

You are only looking at the X-Box. Microsoft dont just have the X-Box though.

> I doubt Microsoft's Game Division is doing that well.

Then why are sales picking up?

> You did - 'only short-term of course'.

I meant declaring themselves bankrupt was only good for them in short-term. Why? They would be unable to re-enter at a later stage.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:43
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I think you will find that it is Nintendo who have a lot of work to do
> to ctah up with the number of amazing titles on the Xbox, and by a LOT
> I mean a LOT!

Oh buggar off. I think you'll find you're talking out of your rear end, and what you're saying is opinion - not fact.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:39
Regular
I think you will find that it is Nintendo who have a lot of work to do to ctah up with the number of amazing titles on the Xbox, and by a LOT I mean a LOT!
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:36
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> That depends on how Nintendo can answer Microsoft. Its going to take
> more than Metroid Prime, Zelda and Mario Kart. Of course these games
> will appeal to a large number of people, but many want to own more
> than a few games and at the moment, I think Nintendo are lagging
> behind the other 2 in the number of quality titles coming during 2003
> at the moment.

I'll agree that Nintendo should do more, but games like Zelda and Final Fantasy will sell GameCubes by the bucketload - I guarentee it. I don't really think Nintendo are lagging behind, ESPECIALLY not behind Sony. Microsoft and Sony will have to do a lot to compete with the quality GC titles coming out in the future.

> Its going to take more than Nintendo's home grown titles to surpass or
> even keep up with Microsoft and Sony.

Indeed, that's why they're getting great first, second and now third party support for 2003.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:33
Regular
beanz wrote:
> With PS2 in an unassailable position and Xbox now seemingly well
> established in the number two spot, GameCube has a lot of catching up
> to do in 2003

I'll agree with you for the USA and Europe - Nintendo need to get their act together, but in worldwide overall and weekly sales, I think you'll find that the GameCube is firmly lodged in second.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:32
Regular
Your Olympic Hero wrote:
> I doubt your doubt.

There's a game for everyone on the GameCube. In fact, there's at least one game for everyone on each console.

> I see a reason. People didnt buy a Gamecube for them to stop supplying
> games months later.
> Theres got to be a law against it somewhere.

Not at all. Did SEGA refund anyone? No.

> Im looking closer.
> SMS - Dont get me started. Every SNES mario game, apart from maybe 2,
> was GREAT. Then they got worse.
> Graphics dont impress me so a remake of a game I played years ago
> doesnt impress me.

Well, that's your opinion. The other 95% of gamers seem to beg to differ.

> No they havent. They have the Gamecube. Big deal.
> Sony have the most popular console and a extremely wide range of
> popular electronic products.
> Microsoft is the PC empire. Bill Gates is rich for a reason, and that
> reason is the amount of sales he gets.

Look at the facts! Nintendo have made the most profit! Microsoft made the least!

> The fact that Microsoft and Virgin are the two richest companies sort
> of proves Nintendo isnt richer than MS so how can it be?

I doubt Microsoft's Game Division is doing that well.

> Re-enter? Who said anything about that.

You did - 'only short-term of course'.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:09
Regular
J-42 wrote:
> I expect Gamecube will takeover X Box.

Justify that statement, 5 of my friends have traded their GameCube's in over the last two months and bought an Xbox, their friends and family have gone and purchased Xbox's after they had played theirs. The Xbox so far does have more better games than the GameCube and as Sav says, it will take a big effort from all developers in 2003 to get the GameCube up to the level of the Xbox. Also are you forgetting that sales figures won't change too much when Prime is released as it already has been in America and Japan and it hasn't altered the current sales figures by heavy means.

I would like to see the GameCube do well in 2003 as it 'ups' Microsoft's plans for the Xbox and what they will do to make it better. However at the moment there isn't one game I would by a GameCube for, but I would for Prime and Mario Kart definitley. I want to see how many more games the GameCube can produce that will be good and not just be hyped up like Die Hard Vendetta was.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
That depends on how Nintendo can answer Microsoft. Its going to take more than Metroid Prime, Zelda and Mario Kart. Of course these games will appeal to a large number of people, but many want to own more than a few games and at the moment, I think Nintendo are lagging behind the other 2 in the number of quality titles coming during 2003 at the moment.
Its going to take more than Nintendo's home grown titles to surpass or even keep up with Microsoft and Sony.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.