GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo should do better"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 21:47
Regular
I look around the forums, and I see a lot of people saying how great it is that the Gamecube is using optical discs, has a big set of launch games, and looks to have some retty good third party support.

But really, come on. Nintendo should have had Optical Media storge for the N64- the only reason they didn't is because development plans with Sony broke down, leading to Sony taking the plans into their own hands and destroying Nintendo's market share. All Nintendo are doind is catching up with the rest of the market.

As for the launch games, I am seriously disappointed. I've been playing Nintendo consoles for years, and each one has launched with some completely epic, revolutionary, superb game. And for a time I thought that the GC would do even better. With Nintendo handing out francises left right and centre (Metroid, Starfox and Smash brothers all being made by Second Party developers) this should have left Nintendo with enough space to go away and make one of the most revolutionary, epic games ever.

Remember when Mario 64 came out? It was the first truely 3D game- it used 3D gameplay instead of using old 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Even today it is the standard to which all new platformers are compared.

So, with all this free time, what have Nintendo given us? No Mario or Zelda at release. Instead Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin- original and fun games, but we expect so much more for the release of a Nintendo console. ANYONE who claims to be a Nintendo fan can tell you that!

It's what makes Nintendo a universally known brandname- they lead the market... well, at least they did. Nowadays they've taken a back seat. Tell me, what revolution will we see with the Gamecube? With the N64 revolution was there from day one- Mario 64 was the most talked about game ever. And then Zelda came along and has been voted the best game ever... and that's quite something.

So what about the Gamecube. Where is the revolution to come from with Ninty's short and sweet policy?

Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. As a HUGE Nintendo fan I'll certainly be buying one this summer. But my point still stands- Nintendo have the huge following they do because they produce some of the best, original, epic and revolutionary games ever. Now they've just become too relaxed.

sonic
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:35
Regular
The Snes did outsell the MegaDrive in the end, but for the first couple of years, the Mega Drive did better.
If Nintendo had had a bigger line up from day one then they might've had larger sales from day one.
Mon 18/02/02 at 22:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex, where do you get your idea that the Mega Drive outsold the SNES- complete rubbish as I've said.

Moving on, thw reason the N64 did shockingly copared to the PSX was NOT because Ninty went for quality not quantity. It was for lot of reasons, including the SMALL selection below:

*Ninty refused to allow third party developers make games for the N64 until after Ninty had done theirs. So the console launched with one game and only had 4 games three months later!

*The N64 released at £250 ages after the PSX was already cheaper and had a great list of games. N64 games were £50-60, whereas the PSX has £30-40 games.

*Sony had far more advertising.

*Nintendo, due to the loss of third parties, couldn't support every genre, especially popular ones like beat em ups and relistic racers- what asual gamers actually prefer to original titles.

*Ninty dropped the console price by about £100 within a week of launch... customer satisfaction... i think not!

Sonic
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
@Strafex
Nintendo do seem to be going for the "Short and Sweet" titles but so what? Ninty's are always the ones using the phrase "Quality not Quantity"

haha haha HAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha :-D

*slaps self across face and says "grow up"*
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex wrote:
> Snes launch: Nintendo went for quality over quantity.
The Megadrive got more
> sales.

errr... the Snes outsold all the other consoles out together... and there were half a dozen consoles out at the time.

N64 launch: Nintendo went for quality over quantity.
People chose the
> Playstation instead.

Well, the N64 launched with ONE game, with a huige price tag and months after the PSx. Just because they concentrated on one great game doesn't mean they had to drop all third party development!

Sonic
Mon 18/02/02 at 16:55
Regular
Snes launch: Nintendo went for quality over quantity.
The Megadrive got more sales.

N64 launch: Nintendo went for quality over quantity.
People chose the Playstation instead.

You can see why they're going for quantity now.
Mon 18/02/02 at 16:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I am also dissapointed with many of the launch titles for the GameCube, especially when comparing it with the line-ip for the SNES and N64.
Nintendo are obviously trying something different to possibly try and keep their existing gamers happy and try to attract more.

Maybe they don't want to repeat what happened with the N64, and have Mario and other decent games released too early, so there's nothing big enough left to satisfy later??
Although there were a few for the N64, there just weren't enough towards the end! I would've personaly loved to have seen a Mario 64 sequel at the end of last year!

Now, we're having to wait for Perfect Dark, Zelda and Mario, and we're being given something different now, like Luigi, Resi Evil and Super Monkey Ball, to show another side of Nintendo consoles, something that we may be seeing in the future.

So Ninty may be taking it a bit easy now, but i'm sure they'll pick up again once these new titles have had an effect with gamers.
Mon 18/02/02 at 16:18
Regular
If you take a look at games like The Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid, these games have even less longevity than a "short but sweet" game.

I think that Nintendo have seen that they need to get more titles out because the casual market doesn't accept "quality over quantity" tactics very well.

Anyway, Mario is out in Europe by the end of this year (says Shigsy) and there's more than enough great titles to last while you wait.

Sure there's nothing that really blows the competition away and there might've been if Nintendo had REALLY wanted to have one out ready, but even without the big blockbuster, there's more than enough great stuff on the shelves to compete with the Xbox and PS2 in the meantime.
Mon 18/02/02 at 10:01
Regular
"not dead"
I suppose when Nintendo handed Metroid over to Retro, and asked Rare to stick the Star Fox team in Dinosaur Planet, they were hoping these would be launch titles.

If they were it would be very difficult to knock the launch. Unfortunately they've suffered from delays, so it's not to be.

I see where you're coming form though Sonic, what are Nintendo concentrating on at the moment?

It's not like they're focusing much energy on the GBA either, as most of Nintendo's games on this platform are ports.

Then again, they've got more games in the pipeline than they ever had for the N64, and we don't have to wait so long for a Zelda title, so that's not bad.

Plus they've released, or are soon to release some games in Japan that are unlikely to all see releases over here, Animal Forest, Animal Leader, and Doshin the Giant. This type of game is sure to boost popularity in Japan, where it hasn't sold as well as hoped, but what are Nintendo working on for the US and European market?

At one time it was said that Shigeru Miyamoto was overseeing some 30 projects. What evidence of these so far?

Damn them and their secrets.
Mon 18/02/02 at 08:39
sonicrav wrote ;-

Well, I don't really think they are on
> competition myself- the price just shows the change in target market. Whereas
> the PS2 and Xbox are aimed at 20 something casual gamers, the GC is more of a
> kid/family and hardcore gamer console...

#DD takes sonic outside a beats him to death with his own arrogance#

well at least you said its a family console not just a kid console.
counter-point though this arguement means nothing when the ps2 goes down in price another 20 pound as they believe it will do when the cube comes out...
also as you know i work in a game shop and we've had a mixture of adults pre-ordering x-boxs for themselves and for tehre childrens birhtdays etc and some are waiting to spend there christmas money on the suX-box so although im not saying your wrong i am saying i dont think this reason is right :)
Sun 17/02/02 at 22:36
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Wether they are in competition or not shouldn't be the point for Nintendo. Even if they think they are not, they should still not dismiss the other two, as that will cut them out of the broader audience of gamers, thus making their products sell less

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.