GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo should do better"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 21:47
Regular
I look around the forums, and I see a lot of people saying how great it is that the Gamecube is using optical discs, has a big set of launch games, and looks to have some retty good third party support.

But really, come on. Nintendo should have had Optical Media storge for the N64- the only reason they didn't is because development plans with Sony broke down, leading to Sony taking the plans into their own hands and destroying Nintendo's market share. All Nintendo are doind is catching up with the rest of the market.

As for the launch games, I am seriously disappointed. I've been playing Nintendo consoles for years, and each one has launched with some completely epic, revolutionary, superb game. And for a time I thought that the GC would do even better. With Nintendo handing out francises left right and centre (Metroid, Starfox and Smash brothers all being made by Second Party developers) this should have left Nintendo with enough space to go away and make one of the most revolutionary, epic games ever.

Remember when Mario 64 came out? It was the first truely 3D game- it used 3D gameplay instead of using old 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Even today it is the standard to which all new platformers are compared.

So, with all this free time, what have Nintendo given us? No Mario or Zelda at release. Instead Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin- original and fun games, but we expect so much more for the release of a Nintendo console. ANYONE who claims to be a Nintendo fan can tell you that!

It's what makes Nintendo a universally known brandname- they lead the market... well, at least they did. Nowadays they've taken a back seat. Tell me, what revolution will we see with the Gamecube? With the N64 revolution was there from day one- Mario 64 was the most talked about game ever. And then Zelda came along and has been voted the best game ever... and that's quite something.

So what about the Gamecube. Where is the revolution to come from with Ninty's short and sweet policy?

Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. As a HUGE Nintendo fan I'll certainly be buying one this summer. But my point still stands- Nintendo have the huge following they do because they produce some of the best, original, epic and revolutionary games ever. Now they've just become too relaxed.

sonic
Fri 22/02/02 at 15:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
GrimMetal wrote:
> Zelda on gamecube is being workedon by a huge development team and will be
> epic.
Mario is being worked on by a smaller team but is being made with replay
> value firmly in mind.
Nintendo are also working on secret first party games
> such as their early Online titles and Marionette.

I dont see what your
> problem is mate?

The problem... name a major, epic game that Ninty are making for the gamecube. Everybody else who has actually read the thread has admitted that Ninty have none... which is a huge disapointment.

Zelda and Mario has been shortened, with a new game every 6 months. This is NOT what the series was made for! The games were alwasy meant to be epic, taking years to make... not 6 months!

Meanwhile Ninty GIVE AWAY their big franchises like Metroid, Smash Bros and Starfox, and STILL they themselves are not making a big, epic, revolutionary game. Instead they have Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion at launch. They may be fun, but not at all what anybody who claims to be a Ninty fan would expect- just think back to the launch games they made for their other consoles!

Sonic
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:11
Zelda on gamecube is being workedon by a huge development team and will be epic.
Mario is being worked on by a smaller team but is being made with replay value firmly in mind.
Nintendo are also working on secret first party games such as their early Online titles and Marionette.

I dont see what your problem is mate?
Fri 22/02/02 at 10:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
It's very weird how the Nintendo policy has changed.

It used to be the case that Nintendo almost only made epic titles (with a few ghames like Pokemon stuck in), and let the second parties make the shorter, more regularly released titles.

Now it is Nintendo who are making acres of games, with second parties concentrating on only a few at a time...

Very, very odd

Sonic
Thu 21/02/02 at 22:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, I missed that bit. I think that every 6 months for a new game is a bad idea!! Not only would we find that after a few years there'd be more Zelda games on the GameCube alone than the ENTIRE Final Fantasy series, but it'd be like a gaming-spam!

Each one would probably only last a few hours, and we'd become unhappy with having to pay £40 for something that'll barely last 40 minutes.

Shigsy should look back at the N64, and look at the 2 Zeldas there. Then he'll once again realise that it's 'quality' and not 'quantity' that counts, and that us Nintendo fans would like to see in our Mario and Zelda games on the GameCube.
Thu 21/02/02 at 22:11
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, what my point was implying was that Ninty have NO epic titles in production. Instead Shigsy has said he wants a new Mario/Zelda titles every 6 months, and that he is currently supervising over a dozen games- so many that it's quite hard for him to be making an epic title at the moment as well.

Soni
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Maybe Nintendo just ARE NOT doing ANYTHING with their time at all!??
Maybe the plan to release the likes of Mario and Zelda in the near future, but maybe they'll just sit back for a while afterwards?? Maybe these games are already done and dusted, and Ninty are just waiting for the right moment to release them??

You never know, they could be sitting back like slobs, just letting the other parties do their work, to show that they are allowing others to work on the GameCube???

Who knows what's going on over there, the Japanese are CRAZY people!
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Solskjaer, I think you miss my points:

1) Ninty have not produced a revolutionary or epic title. Oh, and before you rant on about Smash Bros again let me remind you that Ninty didn't actually make the game- in fact the only Ninty release titles that are worthy of mention are Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin.

2) Ok, so no huge first party launch titles. Not really too bad. After all, Smash Bros, Metroid, Starfox and a few other Ninty games were give to second parties to develop. Only one of these has made laucnh though, and Metroid is being COMPLETELY remade after Miyamoto was shown a demo of the game before Spaceworld. That has to come as a major blow- anyone who saw the Japanese unveiling of the console will know how big the Metroid demo was (esp seeing as there was no Zelda or Mario in site at E3).

3) Ok, so Nintendo haven't made a big release game. But they have given away all their franchises to give them the time to do something epic. Seeing as Zelda OTT was announced two years before launch, just what epic game are Nintendo working on? Are they just twidling their thumbs? They have one of the biggest in house dev teams around, and their games release scedule is filled with (very fun and good) non-epic and non-revolutionary games... something we all know Nintendo can make...

So that on Earth are they doing with their time?

Sonic
Thu 21/02/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
Strafex wrote:
You still complain about the "lack of epic" a fair bit more than necessary.
Sure, it would've been nice to have a big groundbraker a launch but I'm sure that Nintendo are using the extra time well.

"Yes- they should use the time well. After giving away almost all the big names games to other developers, only developing a couple of titles for launch- neither of which is especially big, and having one of the biggest in house development teams in ages, you would think that Ninty are using the extra time well...."

I think they're using their time well, many of the N64's greatest games came out towards it's end, and some wait after the console's launch, like Zelda. Who's to say it won't happen with the Cube?? SSBMelée is a big launch title, and so are one or two others, but still they aren't quite what we would have expected.
And who says Ninty have to be using this time well??
There are sposed to be more 3rd party developers this time around, so maybe they're using their time well also!??

"So what epic, revolutionary or just plaina amazing game are they working on???"

They are working on Zelda, which could hopefully be another great RPG-Adventure! Just as long as you don't consider the graphics to bring the game down. It could be the greatest Zelda game ever!! What about possible sequels to the likes of Conker's BFD and 1080 Snowboarding?? After great reception for these games on the N64, who's to say we won't get something even better on a console that's more advanced??

I don't think we should be expecting anything 'epic' too soon, but something(s) should arrive in the near future!
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
For your information... The Mega Drive and SNES had very close sales figures in the West, with the MD inching ahead in Europe, but the SNES bettering it in America.

However, in Japan, where the biggest number of gamers were at the time, the SNES completely outdid everything. One possible reason (that I've just though of) is that Sega was, at the time, still regarded as an American company (used to supply arcade machines to the US army bases in Japan!)... and the Japs hate buying outside goods! Oh, and Japan has always been a one console society.

Strafex wrote:
You still complain about the "lack of epic" a fair
> bit more than necessary.
Sure, it would've been nice to have a big groundbraker
> a launch but I'm sure that Nintendo are using the extra time well.

Yes- they should use the time well. After giving away almost all the big names games to other developers, only developing a couple of titles for launch- neither of which is especially big, and having one of the biggest in house development teams in ages, you would think that Ninty are using the extra time well....

So what epic, revolutionary or just plaina amazing game are they working on???

Sonic
Wed 20/02/02 at 15:33
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that everyone I knew, they either had a console or didn't. And I think it was about equal between those of us that had SNES's and MegaDrives. But I think there were slightly more Sega fans, and they all still enjoyed the SNES. And Sonic's right, this doesn't show a result for the rest of the world, it may have only been for areas in England. And I also think older people picked up SNES's real cheap nearer their end!

And good games take time! Especially if they're gunna be big long Adventures, like we all hope Zelda will be, not that we've all (hopefully!) shutup about it's appearence!
I'm happy to wait for the big guns, and I think Nintendo have produced a fine set of launch titles to keep us waiting! Inlcluding SSBMelée, like you said. Maybe they're trying to show us something about multiplayers???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.