GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo should do better"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 21:47
Regular
I look around the forums, and I see a lot of people saying how great it is that the Gamecube is using optical discs, has a big set of launch games, and looks to have some retty good third party support.

But really, come on. Nintendo should have had Optical Media storge for the N64- the only reason they didn't is because development plans with Sony broke down, leading to Sony taking the plans into their own hands and destroying Nintendo's market share. All Nintendo are doind is catching up with the rest of the market.

As for the launch games, I am seriously disappointed. I've been playing Nintendo consoles for years, and each one has launched with some completely epic, revolutionary, superb game. And for a time I thought that the GC would do even better. With Nintendo handing out francises left right and centre (Metroid, Starfox and Smash brothers all being made by Second Party developers) this should have left Nintendo with enough space to go away and make one of the most revolutionary, epic games ever.

Remember when Mario 64 came out? It was the first truely 3D game- it used 3D gameplay instead of using old 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Even today it is the standard to which all new platformers are compared.

So, with all this free time, what have Nintendo given us? No Mario or Zelda at release. Instead Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin- original and fun games, but we expect so much more for the release of a Nintendo console. ANYONE who claims to be a Nintendo fan can tell you that!

It's what makes Nintendo a universally known brandname- they lead the market... well, at least they did. Nowadays they've taken a back seat. Tell me, what revolution will we see with the Gamecube? With the N64 revolution was there from day one- Mario 64 was the most talked about game ever. And then Zelda came along and has been voted the best game ever... and that's quite something.

So what about the Gamecube. Where is the revolution to come from with Ninty's short and sweet policy?

Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. As a HUGE Nintendo fan I'll certainly be buying one this summer. But my point still stands- Nintendo have the huge following they do because they produce some of the best, original, epic and revolutionary games ever. Now they've just become too relaxed.

sonic
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Maybe Sony wanted too much control or someting???
Maybe they had loads of ideas of how they could change the SNES itslef, rather than just creating a CD add-on??
No company would want this, and it's a possible reason as to why they suddenly split.
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sibs wrote:
> don't mean to start a CD vs. Cart thing, just meant the point can be argued both
> ways, each has advantages/ disadvantages, and I'm sure Nintendo had reasons to
> stick to cartridges beyond them being the most familiar format to Nintendo.

Well, that's exactly it! Ninty knew nothing about CDs so they brought in Sony to develop what was called the "PSX". Sony fell out and turned the PSX into the Playstation, leaving Nintendo with no knowlegde of CDs. So they had to go ahead with carts.

It's not the case that Ninty decided to use carts over CDs, more that they were forced to. However, that statement depends on what exactly caused Ninty and Sony to split- maybe Ninty simply weren't happy with the loading times on CDs etc?

Sonic
Sat 23/02/02 at 01:33
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
don't mean to start a CD vs. Cart thing, just meant the point can be argued both ways, each has advantages/ disadvantages, and I'm sure Nintendo had reasons to stick to cartridges beyond them being the most familiar format to Nintendo.
Fri 22/02/02 at 23:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Yes, the CD/cart debate starts again eh!

Optical media storages have loading times, need memory cards and can be susceptable to piracting. They are, however, far cheaper to manufacture than carts.

Carts have no loading times (well, it's more complex than this, but they have no noticable lags), need no memory card and are far harder to pirate. They are, however, more expensive.

Now, supposing that piracy can be stopped by some great protection system. Now all you have to worry about is loading times and memory cards. If the memory cards are cheap then you have the option of an expensive game with no loading times, or a cheaper one with....

But what people don't realise is that loading times with CDs can be almost eliminated if the time was taken. Soul Reaver and DOA2 (which needed to load a who new level instantly) both had no in game loads.

Sonic
Fri 22/02/02 at 23:03
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
SonicRav typed the folloing text into his magic box:

>But really, come on. Nintendo should have had Optical >Media storge for the N64- the only reason they didn't is >because development plans with Sony broke down, leading to >Sony taking the plans into their own hands and destroying >Nintendo's market share. All Nintendo are doind is >catching up with the rest of the market.

- Okay, maybe Ninty should have gone with CDs, but the point is arguable. Loading times for some PSX games were bad, and Nintendo could have on cart saves with the cartridges, and not use memory cards. Still, the memory card thing would have been better if all games utilized it, not just some.

>As for the launch games, I am seriously disappointed. I've >been playing Nintendo consoles for years, and each one has >launched with some completely epic, revolutionary, superb >game. And for a time I thought that the GC would do even >better. With Nintendo handing out francises left right and >centre (Metroid, Starfox and Smash brothers all being made >by Second Party developers) this should have left Nintendo >with enough space to go away and make one of the most >revolutionary, epic games ever.

-hmm... we're not really sure what is around the corner for Ninty, this 'short & sweet' policy came about very quickly, it could end just as quickly. But no, Ninty haven't got any epic launch titles. Maybe a calm before a storm?

>So what about the Gamecube. Where is the revolution to >come from with Ninty's short and sweet policy?

-Hmm... thats a difficult one... we don't know. Anyway, you can't really predict a revolution. We knew Mario 64 was gonna be big, but we didn't know it would be a revolution. I think we've already had the evolution- we've come into the third dimension- this generation will evolve. New genres could pop up, and Nintendo have shown they aren't afraid to experiment. Look at Pikmin, or Animal Forest. I think Nintendo's short and sweet policy could be put down to a great fear of a game drought a la N64. But I don't think this can be the sole factor. We cannot predict what Nintendo will do in the future, but I do not think the short and sweet policy will last a great deal of time.

anyway, that's my two cents... or Euros... well whatever...
Fri 22/02/02 at 22:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Grimreaper, I am here to talk about a topic I love dearly- games.

Not only do you immmediatly come into this topic with a hugely arrogant attitude and fail to even engage in the debate that myself, Solskjaer and some others are having, but you just start openly critising points without either putting your opinions forward or giving constructive critism.

What I would really like to know is:

1) What is YOUR view of the Gamecube launch. Every other Nintendo launch has had one revolutionary or epic title, but not this one.

2) What is your opinion of Nintendo giving away franchises like Metroid, Smash Bros and Starfox? And especially the absolutely terrible state of Metroid- it was so bad after 8 months of development that Shigsy ordered it to be restarted with a new producer!

3) In the past Nintendo, as you have said, have always had something up their sleave to pull out. However, big titles like Zelda have always been publicised heavily well before launch at trade shows. Given that, do you think that Ninty have actually got some huge epic title in their hand? After all Shigsy's short and sweet policy is going the oposite way.

Sonic
Fri 22/02/02 at 17:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, it says Newbie under your name doesn't it!??
I'm not a dweeb, that's just an American term for another American!
If you want quotes, go an look it up! You're bound to find them on the net somewhere, and i'm sure there was a topic in here the other day!!
Fri 22/02/02 at 16:47
You dweeb. Give me a quote on the Zelda being short and a new mario and zelda game every 6 months and I'll believe you. I am not a newbie I just don't post here that often. I already have a cube and 6 games so I dont need any teaching thanks.
Fri 22/02/02 at 16:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I really do not like what i've heard in this thread now, but at least it's now and I already know before buying the game! I thought that the new graphics would be bad enough (Zelda of course) but shorter game aswell! That just ain't right! Could this mean that we'll be seeing more luigi games every 6 months too???

But I still think it's a good idea to have more Zelda's, more frequently, but they should be like the last 2! And that's probably an impossible task considering the time limit!
Also, what does this say about the GameCube's lifespan??
A Nintendo console would probably have upto four Zelda games maximum! Does this mean the Rectangular-Cube could only be around untill 2004???

And GrimMetal, Sonic isn't here for a rant or blatant GAD attempt! He's here to teach Newbies like you a thing or two about the likes of Ninty and Sega! You'll learn a lot from him, and I think a lot of people already have!!
Take note.
Fri 22/02/02 at 15:55
Zelda has not been shortened. Zelda is that epic game.

And how do you know what is involved in Shigga's secret title and his Marionette game? How epic are the unannounced Online games?

You don't know mate! You are grabbing at straws because you either want a) To have a moan or b) To win a GAD with a long winded rant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.