GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo should do better"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 21:47
Regular
I look around the forums, and I see a lot of people saying how great it is that the Gamecube is using optical discs, has a big set of launch games, and looks to have some retty good third party support.

But really, come on. Nintendo should have had Optical Media storge for the N64- the only reason they didn't is because development plans with Sony broke down, leading to Sony taking the plans into their own hands and destroying Nintendo's market share. All Nintendo are doind is catching up with the rest of the market.

As for the launch games, I am seriously disappointed. I've been playing Nintendo consoles for years, and each one has launched with some completely epic, revolutionary, superb game. And for a time I thought that the GC would do even better. With Nintendo handing out francises left right and centre (Metroid, Starfox and Smash brothers all being made by Second Party developers) this should have left Nintendo with enough space to go away and make one of the most revolutionary, epic games ever.

Remember when Mario 64 came out? It was the first truely 3D game- it used 3D gameplay instead of using old 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Even today it is the standard to which all new platformers are compared.

So, with all this free time, what have Nintendo given us? No Mario or Zelda at release. Instead Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin- original and fun games, but we expect so much more for the release of a Nintendo console. ANYONE who claims to be a Nintendo fan can tell you that!

It's what makes Nintendo a universally known brandname- they lead the market... well, at least they did. Nowadays they've taken a back seat. Tell me, what revolution will we see with the Gamecube? With the N64 revolution was there from day one- Mario 64 was the most talked about game ever. And then Zelda came along and has been voted the best game ever... and that's quite something.

So what about the Gamecube. Where is the revolution to come from with Ninty's short and sweet policy?

Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. As a HUGE Nintendo fan I'll certainly be buying one this summer. But my point still stands- Nintendo have the huge following they do because they produce some of the best, original, epic and revolutionary games ever. Now they've just become too relaxed.

sonic
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:31
Regular
I'm not sure you can really compare mega drive and snes quite so directly. To me, the time difference between their launches is just too great.
Wed 20/02/02 at 12:53
Regular
I'd always heard that (in the west atleast), the Mega Drive was far more successful at first with more Snes's selling later on.

It wasn't simply my class either.
It was more or less EVERYONE I knew.

But I might well have been mistaken.

You still complain about the "lack of epic" a fair bit more than necessary.
Sure, it would've been nice to have a big groundbraker a launch but I'm sure that Nintendo are using the extra time well.

And Pikmin and Smash Brothers are great games, even if they don't have big epic single player games.
I'd rather have the multiplayer likes of Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball than a epic solo player title anyway.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex...

Although your class probably did own more Mega Drives than SNESs, what does this have to do with the worldwide sales of the console?

I used to write for the 5th biggest online games site, and had to do plenty of research into such issues, and I can teel you outright that not only did the the SNES outsell the Mega Drive on a WORLDWIDE basis, it outsold ALL the other consoles out at the time all together.

One of the reasons being that, at the time, most of the games market was located in Japan, which is traditionally a one-console nation. The MEga Drive barely got any sales compared to the SNES there, and, even thoguh the MD got good Western sales, it still ON A WORLDWIDE sales basis came far behin the SNES sales figures.

And this is coming for a Sega fan!

Sonic
Tue 19/02/02 at 15:58
Regular
The Mega Drive was far more popular down here.

Everyone had one at my school too.
Snes's were good too but Mega Drives were THE machines to own.
Nintendo gained more ground as more titles came out, especially when the likes of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country turned up, but in the meantime Sega seemed to dominate.

Anyway, although YOU'D rather see one big epic at launch, mr casual sees one game and think's: "That's it?!?".
And seeing as Mr Casual is where the big sales come from, Nintendo really don't want to leave a bad impression on the shelves.

Also, although they might have a lot of third party games now, think back to when they made the decision to stick so smallish games at launch - no real third party support had been promised and Nintendo didn't want to rely on it.

Besides, Wave Race, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are perfectly adequate for starters and Mario's out in Europe by the end of the year.

And I'd rather have the best Mario game that Shigsy can make rather than a half-baked-rushed-for-launch mediocre title.
And even if you don't get your big epic on launch, there's LOADs to enjoy in the meantime.
Tue 19/02/02 at 13:15
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Ice Blaster wrote:
> ===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Hold on... Strafex said "the first couple
> of years" not the last
> couple... errrr...

seeing as the Mega Drive
> didn't sell well at all until
> Sonic 2 came out, I'd like to know where you
> got this idea from!

Sonic

Who is that aimed at?

Strafex perhaps?

To add to the Snes<>Mega Drive debate: although the snes was the superior of the two, everyone in my school had a Mega Drive, and only a handful had Snes'. Most of them laughed at me for saying I had a Snes *A tear rolls down his cheek*

Ah well, I'm getting a Gamecube, know who's laughing!? HAhaHAhaHAha!! *gets a blood-rush to the cranium*
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:50
Regular
"Back in black"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Hold on... Strafex said "the first couple of years" not the last
> couple... errrr...

seeing as the Mega Drive didn't sell well at all until
> Sonic 2 came out, I'd like to know where you got this idea from!

Sonic

Who is that aimed at?
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Hold on... Strafex said "the first couple of years" not the last couple... errrr...

seeing as the Mega Drive didn't sell well at all until Sonic 2 came out, I'd like to know where you got this idea from!

Sonic
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:47
Regular
"Back in black"
"Remember when Mario 64 came out? It was the first truely 3D game- it used 3D gameplay instead of using old 2D gameplay in a 3D environment. Even today it is the standard to which all new platformers are compared."

What do you expect then this time. 3-D is no longer. 4-D Mario good enough for you!? :D

Roll on May 3rd! GAMECUBE!
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:44
Regular
"Back in black"
Strafex wrote:
> The Snes did outsell the MegaDrive in the end, but for the first couple of
> years, the Mega Drive did better.
If Nintendo had had a bigger line up from day
> one then they might've had larger sales from day one.

Well with 20 odd launch titles can you say they will do badly?
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex wrote:
> The Snes did outsell the MegaDrive in the end, but for the first couple of
> years, the Mega Drive did better.
If Nintendo had had a bigger line up from day
> one then they might've had larger sales from day one.

errr... you're mixing up sales figures here...

At the end of the 16bit era the Mega Drive was selling more consoles then the SNES per month... but ONLY in the West. But that was the consoles sold per month- not the total number.

The actual TOTAL number of Mega Drive consoles sold in the whole world was still stupidly low compared to the SNES. Like I said, in Japan the SNES outsold all other consoles put together during, and by the end of, the 16bit era.

Same happened with the NES- it outsold all the other consoles put together. Amazing how much Ninty's market dominance has changed!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.