GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.
Mon 16/07/12 at 19:11
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
I'm on my mobile so I'll give a better reply tomorrow!

As we now know the wireless kit is working fine that means your ADSL connection is fine. So it's the router or your PC.

Try using another LAN Port on the router in case one of the ports is fried!

Back tomorrow.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 16/07/12 at 18:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Always worth starting a new thread for a new question :¬)

@Hmmm

you know me ... just trying to save 'paper' :¬)

Sorry about the delay, but Mrs DL had to be sorted out as she's gone off to babysit granddaughter :¬)

I know the results are very good, but why the difference in PING stats? When I game online, the ping is usually the same as the pingtest one!

The router is a Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ DGN1000, Firmware V1.1.00.45_ww ... most recent update last week.

PC in question is wired but all others are wireless and they don't seem to be affected, but as the main PC 'controls' the router, it shouldn't make any difference.

I do suspect the following:

a. the router, the wireless aspect isn't an issue so it's wireless capabilities aren't worth discussing.
b. the game servers I use are not reliable at the best of times.
c. my connection may be good but general surfing can take an age and usually indicates a re-boot to bring things back to normal!
d. router settings for encapsulation are PPPoA(PPP over ATM) as Freeola recommends, but there is an alternative PPPoE(PPP over Ethernet) which Netgear suggest is the most common?

So ... what do you think?

EDIT: Missed that bit ... after the router has been re-booted or even subjected to a total closure, then speeds are excellent ... page access is brilliant, server connections are as good as can be expected but then 'hangs' and waiting for page loading become the norm and signal a re-boot etc etc which then becomes a 'pain in the rear' ;¬)

Can't remember the old D-Link being like this!
Mon 16/07/12 at 15:27
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Any ideas would be appreciated :¬)

Always worth starting a new thread for a new question :¬)

Hi DL,
That looks like you are on the maximum sync/profile for a standard ADSL line *jealous*!

What happens to your speeds after the router has been running for a while?

Which Netgear router is it?

Are you connected wired or wireless? Are all PCs affected the same?

I can recommend running RouterStats free software to monitor your line. This will help you easily look at various stats which may show where your problem lies and why it's deteriorating.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 16/07/12 at 15:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Afternoon all ... just a quick query ...

The following results from speedtest today:

Speed Test

Ping Test

Question, looking at these two results can anyone explain why I have to regularly re-boot the Netgear router to maintain a satisfactory and responsive connection to the net and in particular to gaming servers?

I can only put it down to the router not being 'upto' it and I maybe need to upgrade. The router is however running the most recent firmware.

Any ideas would be appreciated :¬)
Sun 24/06/12 at 21:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the update, appreciated.
Sun 24/06/12 at 14:11
Staff
I've checked your connection and your line is due to migrate to 21CN services on the 19/7/2012. Within a day or so of that completing you should get an email from us advising that your now able to switch to ADSL2+ (assuming that you're equipment is compatible).

If you're impatient (its not a problem if you are!) you should be able to contact us by ticket or phone on that day and we can action the change over (it will take 24 working hours to complete).
Sun 24/06/12 at 09:06
Regular
"I like turtles"
Morning guys, don't appear to have received any notification of a possible upgrade as yet (unless I've missed it?), any idea when it might happen as I have a couple of connections on this exchange? No big rush or anything but it if this upgrade was available I obviously would like the option.
Thu 19/04/12 at 08:49
"Are you sure?"
Hi Pete, yes I had read an item on that.

B* and V seem to have a thing going where they say anything they want in an advert, then by the time the ASA ban it it's too late as they've been showing it for weeks anyway and they then start a new one and it happens all over again!

Either that or they get round 'real life' by adding small unreadable scrunched up text that no one can actually read :¬(

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 19/04/12 at 08:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
@Hmmm no doubt you have seen this

One of the flyers I mentioned was from Bangalore Telecom and at first glance it did appear to give the impression that I could only get this service from them. I only really twigged when I got about another 3 from other companies apparently offering the same thing!
Tue 17/04/12 at 20:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
Yeah, I did read something about the 'up to' thing. According to VW my car is capable of 'up to' 43 MPG. Although I think they must have been freewheeling it down a 43 mile long hill when they did that test!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.