GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.
Mon 06/08/12 at 21:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Hi pete ...

I'm not on ADSL2+ yet

From what I've experienced so far DL I'm not sure that you would want to! ;)
Mon 06/08/12 at 21:29
Regular
"I like turtles"
Not seen any further options on the BT Speedtest thing Dean (other than the beta one) where would I find this?

It's a fair bit faster again tonight (6.4 Mbs) but generally my speeds seem to be all over the place at the moment on both of my new ADSL2 + connections. It's perfectly usable now but earlier on it wasn't very good at all TBH.
Mon 06/08/12 at 16:31
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've just checked your connection and the interconnect node that you connect through looks to be showing at 67%, so if you are encountering low throughput right now is seems unlikely to be caused by contention at the node.

It is still possible the issue could be caused by contention at a different point though, for example at the exchange. As test 1 is failing on the speed test, it may well be worth completing the next step which asks you to connect with BT's test login details.
Mon 06/08/12 at 16:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi pete ...

I'm not on ADSL2+ yet, not on the same exchange but the Olympics are on and I just got this:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.38 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

Not bad with the Olympics running and a wireless pc downloading in the next room ;¬)
Mon 06/08/12 at 15:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Don't accept the 'Olympics' as a cause of your problem ... with today's so called technology it shouldn't be a problem ... it's like saying, there's millions of people playing online games daily and that's the problem ;¬)

If it's not the Olympics then I think there is something seriously wrong, just got this:

''Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.45 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 9.45 Mbps''

EDIT: Just checked link Hmmm kindly put up and things do seem rather 'busy', not very good though is it?
Fri 03/08/12 at 22:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
I'll see how they are after the dreaded Olympics are over but it does seem rather strange that other connections on my exchange do not seem to be experiencing this problem?

Sped up again now and it's perfectly useable (earlier it was not) but for some reason it's still well short of my friends speed?

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.97 Mbps

TBH pete,the 'Olympic' excuse is wearing a little thin, unless your area/exchange happens to serve the most patriotic section of the British public ever known who also don't own a TV!!!!!

Your 'problem' actually mirrors mine, albeit with different 'connections', and as you have recently discovered, your friend is actually getting what you should have but you aren't ... but your router says you're OK, which is the conundrum!

Who provides your friend's connection? Probably not Entanet! I took a Trace Route earlier and it was surprising how many addresses it went through before it hit Freeola!

Don't accept the 'Olympics' as a cause of your problem ... with today's so called technology it shouldn't be a problem ... it's like saying, there's millions of people playing online games daily and that's the problem ;¬)
Fri 03/08/12 at 21:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the comment DL, it's weird TBH as I mentioned earlier I currently have 2 ADSL 2+ Freeola connections on the same exchange and both are behaving in the same manner. Suppose they might 'settle down' yet but at times I'm afraid that they are really are pretty poor. I'll see how they are after the dreaded Olympics are over but it does seem rather strange that other connections on my exchange do not seem to be experiencing this problem?

Sped up again now and it's perfectly useable (earlier it was not) but for some reason it's still well short of my friends speed?

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.97 Mbps

Fri 03/08/12 at 18:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
TBH pete, I'm no expert but this 'the Olympics are on' isn't an acceptable reason for 'slow' broadband!

You know that I've been having recent connection issues and mine could well be 'router-based'. I've run BT Speedtester twice a day for over a week now and the results suggest no problems with the connection, so the theory would be it's either the router/PC connection, the router itself or the servers that carry the connection on to where ever! Freeola has, within the last week, been extremely slow to load, yet other sites are like lightning! So, in light of your recent Speedtest result, here's one from a few minutes ago with my connection: (Remember, only ADSL)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

And remember ...

"The Broadband Performance Tester allows you to test the performance of your Broadband connection."

and ... the Olympics are still going!
Fri 03/08/12 at 16:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just got my friend (not a Freeola customer) who lives around the corner to do the BT speedtester thing and he got 13.72 Mbs, I did mine within 10 minutes and got this:

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.03 Mbps

My router sync is showing ''10718Kb'' which seems pretty good.

Both my ADSL 2+ connections have been up for just over a week now, I'll leave it until after the Olympics and see if that has been the cause of the issue. If that is the case not sure why my friends connection doesn't seem to be affected in the same way?, do other ISP's have different equipment on an exchange?
Mon 30/07/12 at 22:44
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
But how long was Tom Daley/Olympics being streamed for?

And for how long have both your connections been down?

Do the two correlate?

I was using one connection mid afternoon and it was really slow, speedtest result I put up earlier was done at time of posting.

It's now running at double that speed (7.5 Mbs).

Maybe heavy usage across the UK earlier this afternoon was to blame?, would make sense. I'll see how it is over the next week.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.