GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.
Tue 17/07/12 at 12:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
UPDATE:

Ethernet drivers replaced and updated.

All has been well-behaved so far, just got a feeling that the router is happier as well ;¬)

Possibly not related, but have also installed Adblock Plus from Mozilla as there have been occasions when pages have not loaded due to s7.addthis.com, Freeola included.
Tue 17/07/12 at 09:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for that Hmmm ... I'll see what we can do!

Interestingly, not a few minutes ago, one of the wireless PCs had no connection, even though the router was showing it had!

It's just started connecting again now!
Tue 17/07/12 at 09:26
"Are you sure?"
My next step would be to try a different router and see how the situation changes.

Another option would be to try connecting one of your normally wireless PCs through a wire and see how that behaves.

As you've had issues before with this PC and the ethernet drivers it's obviously quite possible another issue could have arose.

Either swapping the router or using a laptop on a network cable should help you troubleshoot things.

Also try unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in next time to see if that changes things.

Don't restart your router too many times else you'll end up upsetting BT's DLM (Dynamic Line Management) 'cos it'll think you've got a line issue and put you on a go-slow!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 17/07/12 at 09:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
@DL - told you :¬P
As mentioned earlier if your wireless connected PCs aren't having the same issue then your problem can't be down to your ADSL connection.

Morning Hmmm ... point taken :¬)

As I suspected! This morning, could quickly access a few sites but trying others extremely slow to load or not at all. Couldn't even access Firefox add-ons!
Switching off router and then back on some 10 minutes later - no problem accessing anything at lightning speed! (This is the strange bit)?

Do you think it could be the ethernet drivers again?

as suggested earlier, now using a different LAN port
Tue 17/07/12 at 08:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi Professor,
Unfortunately @DL added his posts to @Pete_21's on-going 'ADSL2+ thread' which has confused things! :¬)

@DL - told you :¬P
As mentioned earlier if your wireless connected PCs aren't having the same issue then your problem can't be down to your ADSL connection.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 16/07/12 at 20:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
My netgear router was always like that, standard feature of the brand I thought. ;-)

Hi Garin :¬)

Got the same feeling at the moment ... yet another bad choice dad I can hear them saying ;¬)
Mon 16/07/12 at 20:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Professor wrote:
It looks like the 'Work' at your exchange was to implement ADSL2+ status. This would approximately double your speeds. If that is the case, you need to request a line regrade to achieve these speeds.

Thanks Professor and welcome to the forums ...

I have suspected that 'something' has been happening due to the amount of BT vans around for the last couple of weeks and associated 'excavations'. But I live some 500 yards from the Exchange and ADSL2+ is stated as 30th November using Freeola's Broadband Checker for our Exchange ;¬)
Mon 16/07/12 at 20:02
Regular
It looks like the 'Work' at your exchange was to implement ADSL2+ status. This would approximately double your speeds. If that is the case, you need to request a line regrade to achieve these speeds.
Mon 16/07/12 at 19:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
My netgear router was always like that, standard feature of the brand I thought. ;-)
Mon 16/07/12 at 19:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for that Hmmm ... had just thought about LAN ports and other 'software' , so I'll give both a try.

Not at the same time though! :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.