GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox sucks ... it's official... 2 !"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/02/02 at 17:26
Regular
Today i played an xbox , in toys r us , i had to wait a while to play it , and i say now that it was
NOT worth it !

first of all the controller...

as many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement. It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and he has big hands) , the hand grips have no shape to them , they are basically just 2 rounded prongs , with a couple of triggers on the back.

The joysticks are in the wrong place and so are the buttons , your fingers dont go out that far i tell ya' they just dont ! but the sticks do feel quite nice when you do move them, but the controller itself is nothing to compared to the Gamecube one (before someone says "how do you know" i have one ;-))

Next , the console itself...

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many claim it too.

The games...

The main part of any console is the games.
Im being totally honest here when i say they are Krap.
First i had a go at project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

I had a quick go at amped , which i wasn't to impressed with...
The graphics are pretty good , but not ground braking , and also , when i crashed, when the guy went to get up , the game paused slightly while he was half way getting up , only suddenly , but enough to notice , then continued , which i wasn't impressed with. This happens on alot of games on the playstation , but i didn't expect it from the quote " MOST POWERFULL" unquote games console.

Then i had a go at Halo , if this is xbox's AAA title , then Goldeneye (on the n64) is a AAAA. It is no different to goldeneye or perfect dark ! The graphics are ment to be out of this world , which in the cut scenes they are , but during gameplay , they are just over rated, bog standard First person shooter graphics.

basically what i am trying to get accross here , is that xbox sucks ! simple , the control does nothing for the machine or the games , the games aren't exactly the best ever made , and that juddery thing on amped really showed that it is just a horizontal PC !
Maybe it will get better , but at the moment it is no different from any other console , i have yet to see what the gamecube can do (in front of me) which i should be able to do in a week or 2 , (i have the games , the memory card , an extra control and all the other bits and bobs , but no gamecube ;-( )

thanks.

(please dont say that what i said is a load of dogs dollop , coz i HAVE seen it , and it wasn't amazing to say the least.)
Wed 20/02/02 at 19:11
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
today , i was talking to my mate about my experience with the xbox , and he said that when he was in oxford , he saw one of the xbox cabintes in virgin , and it had a big out of order sign on it !!!!!! HA ! just proves that xbox crashes , shjall i tell you why .... because it is just a horizontal PC ! and he didn't like the control either ,why do people buy it ? the control is the worst EVER , and the thing itself isn't that good ... why i say WHY !
Sun 17/02/02 at 21:23
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
but halo isn't that good , as i said in the main post , it's just perfect dark with better cut scenes.
Sun 17/02/02 at 21:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Lack of support? WHAT?!!!!!

70 games by summer (And a May release date ---> summer)
and the huge release list - with games that look far better than the XBox release list on the horizon - what titles are on their way to REALLY bolster the Xbox and Halo, its sole star.

Then look at GC, and 3/4 of the Ninty and all the Rare classics to ocme, and you will see what I mean (plus other companies, like the XBox)
Sun 17/02/02 at 08:18
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
very true.
Sun 17/02/02 at 02:02
Regular
"Foos Rock"
On paper it's better. In reality it's not.
Sat 16/02/02 at 19:28
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
ok
Sat 16/02/02 at 19:13
Regular
"699 days!"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> very true.

Thank you :-).

BTW got to the 'Cowardly' thread in this forum, I want to see what you think.
Sat 16/02/02 at 19:05
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
very true.
Sat 16/02/02 at 19:05
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
very true
Sat 16/02/02 at 19:00
Regular
"699 days!"
GpotterUK wrote:
> How the **** can you say that the Gamecube controller is better than the
> XBox?

Just because you own a GC controller doesn't mean you know it is great.
> For all you know it might be crap when playing games with it. After all, you
> have only "seen" the GC in action, not played with it.

Please save
> your comments for AFTER you have played with it, not before.

For the record,
> I own both an XBox and a Gamecube, and BOTH are superb consoles. XBox has got
> better support and more games. Gamecube has got less games, but are more fun
> and cartoony, just like always with Nintendo.

Also, BOTH controllers are fine
> once you get used to them.

Umm... That is just not true (in my humble opinion). The GC controller is FAR FAR FAR better than the behemoth XBox controller. In the middle of a game, you can'y reach all the buttons fast enough. And if you try it PHYSICALLY hurts yourr hand! It actually cramps! The XBox controller is the worst I have ever seen, including the ancients, includin the SNES, NES etc.

The GC controller just feels right, everything is whre it it should be, with only one minor exception : the Z trigger. Which is OK, but not as good as it should have been

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.