GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 Vs Rez."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/02/02 at 11:12
Regular
So if you had to chose between these two games, which would you pick? Going by peoples opinions on here, I'd guess 99.9% of the world would chose MGS2: Sons of Mediocrity (see what I did there?)

Now I know that almost everyone on here will start shouting at me for saying this, but I would pick Rez. I (finally) got round to buying my copy of OPSM2 yesturday, and I was looking forward to the MGS2 demo.

I hadn't played the first one, and I didn't have my PS2 when the demo was about first time round. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. You could say I only bought the magazine because of that demo.

I loaded it up, and sat through about half an hour of cartoon before I actually got round to playing the game. As you can probably guess, I wasn't impressed.

The camera angles were awkward, it never went through the controls with me, so I spent the first few minutes jumping about with my camera like some sort of Japanese tourist in London.

When I had finally got used to it, I wondered around, bored, until I found a door. That was pretty much the highlight of the game for me, because as soon as I went through it, some Jap rubbish came out of the TV speaker, and about 5 blokes starting shooting at me from nowhere.

I died.

I really couldn't be bothered to sit through the cut scenes again, as they were just too tedious. So I gave up.

Now, I admit that in the full game, the storyline may well be gripping, and that may well keep you going through the game. All I can say from my play of it is that I'm glad the Rez demo was on the DVD as well.

Rez is fantastic!

It's more of an experience than a game.

I'd seen video footage of it on previous months DVD's, and didn't think it looked much cop. However, on playing it I was immensly pleased that Sega hadn't let me down again. It's utter genious!

The way the sounds and graphics work together with your actions as you go through the game is astounding. I've never played anything like it in my life.

I'm not even going to begin to try to explain the game, for those that don't know, as it's pretty much undescribable. What it is, however, is a damn fine game. I'm so glad Sega are realisng it on PS2, just to show you lot that originality can still exist.

I know that pretty much everyone on here will shout at me when I sum up:

MGS2: I feel VERY let down.
Rez: A classic title that has just sneaked up on me, in the same way GTA3 did.
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:32
Regular
devo wrote:
> devo wrote> You never know, you might win something for it as well.

Hey
> Cinnamon, you did as well! Congrats.

Thanx! And you won too, so it's congratulations all round!
Mon 11/02/02 at 16:57
Regular
Moan!! Moan moan moan moan - (By Baldric)

To be honest, I`ve only played briefly on the Rez demo, and can`t form an opinion from it yet. Magazines are what have put ideas in my head... they say its got a short life span.
Mon 11/02/02 at 16:54
Did you have problems getting the wrapping off the box then?

:-)

(to anyone who wants to moan about the comment a) it's a joke, b) get a life)
Mon 11/02/02 at 16:49
Regular
wandering blade wrote:
> lol, Rez is fun for a whole 10 minutes...

No you`re wrong... it was 11. :-)
Mon 11/02/02 at 16:29
lol, Rez is fun for a whole 10 minutes...
MGS2, now there is a different story..
Mon 11/02/02 at 15:44
devo wrote> You never know, you might win something for it as well.

Hey Cinnamon, you did as well! Congrats.
Mon 04/02/02 at 11:05
I'll keep an eye out for that. Sounds interesting. Cheers.
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The sequal to Space Harrier is Planet Harrier. Unlike Rez, it goes for superbly realistic graphics, and is very much like the original, except you can lock onto enemies.

However, I don't know a great deal about the game... it looks great, but what other improvments there have been on gameplay bar lock-ons, I do not know

Sonic
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:38
When you've played it a bit more, are you thinking about reviewing it? I think these kinds of games really benefit from customer reviews. More so than the 'mainstream' games. You never know, you might win something for it as well.
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:32
Regular
devo wrote:
> How are you doing on it anyway? You mentioned it gets a lot more difficult.

I've finished it. But I've not unlocked all the bonus stuff yet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.