GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Bedroom will be none existent Sunday night!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
The Reason: Well, once I get paid on Sunday I'm off to the shop to buy me a 6.1 surround sound system which will be connected to my GC, PC, DVD, TV and CD player.

The Outcome: Wall's crumbling, windows smashing and me turning 100% deaf!
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:55
Regular
I do have a home cinema

But buying a completey crap film is bloody stupid, oh lets sit and watch this piece of drivel for two hours, but their speech sounds nice and clear, yeah, that makes it sooooo worth it.
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:47
Regular
In answer to your question WS yes I would but I am into films in a very big way and I keep a mixture in my collection of classics and saturday night flicks but if you aren't into films like I am or if you don't own a Home Cinema system then you will not understand.

Better Quality, Objects Travel between speakers, Its like being in the Cinema, Its Digital, Clearer voices as 1 speaker is devoted to speech (or nearly always is), 6 speakers instead of 2 very weak stereo substitutes. 5.1 isn't just the same sounds coming out of all speaker bullets pass through the speakers and explosions blow from the front to back speakers or vica versa. Whatever is happening on screen is represented by speaker direction and audio mixes, until you listen to a film in Dolgy Digital 5.1/DTS you won't be able to imagine it. Believe me I would never go back to TV speakers it is unbelievably BETTER!

Besides the Xbox has 256 Seperate Audio channels and it si the only console to include the Dolby Digital Audio chip and the only console that actually has all of its games in Dolby Digital 5.1! The cut scenes in MGS2 on the PS2 were in 5.1 if I remember rightly but apart from that and SSX Tricky there aren't any PS2 games in Dolby Digital to my recognition. I can understand that people aren't into Audio like I am but stupid questions like "what is wrong with using TV speakers" aren't really worth answering ;)
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:32
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Whats up with running sound through your stereo?

Hm? Or telly speakers?

You know it makes sense.. :o)
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:14
Regular
Why on earth would you buy a crap film just because it has nice audio?
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:09
Regular
Thanks for the list, I would have to agree with you on the majority! Fast and the Furious is a rubbish film but the audio has scored very highly in reviews that I have read so I might pick it up in the sales online for around £8 :) Lord of the Rings 2 Disc and Terminator 2: Judgement Day 5.1/DTS will be arriving tomorrow then the day after I will be receiving Shawshank Redemption, Armageddon 5.1/DTS 2 Disc Criterion Edition and Halloween the original 2 Disc edition :) I love collecting DVD's and since buying my 5.1 system I can't stop watching them.

Deep Blue Sea is also very good in the Audio department and I really enjoyed the film as well so that is quite a good one to look out for on the cheap in the sales. Toy Story 2 is also excellent along with Men in Black and Black Hawk Down which excel in the audio areas and Black Hawk Down is an excellent film. I rented Panic Room about 2 months a go and the audio didn't impress me a lot (apart from the explosion when they are trapped in the room and she sparks the fire down the air vent).

I am going to raise another £30 and get about 5 more DVD's in the sale, I am thinking about:

Jaws special Edition
Fast and the Furious
A Bronx Tale
Mean Streets
Taxi Driver

I am a big fan of the Robert De Niro and Scorcesse link up. Goodfellas and Raging Bull are 2 of my all time favourite films and although they don't excel in the audio department (Raging Bull runs in Dolby 2.0) they are amazing DVD's to have in a collection :)
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:07
Regular
Gee-sus. What a load of mind numbingly boring crap. Ah well, goodnight everybody!
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:04
Regular
Theres a 4 disc BTTF set?
Tue 14/01/03 at 21:56
Regular
ok alastair, i have almost 460 DVDs in my collection.

of all of them i would choose the following 5 in the appropriate catagories (not in order of best or worst):

Sound:

Fight Club
Lord of the Rings
Rush Hour 2
Lilo and Stitch
Cast Away
Fast and the Furious
American Beauty
Toy Story 4 disc set

Film:

American Beauty
Labyrinth
Dark Crystal
The Goonies
LotR
Lilo and Stitch
Toy Story

Picture:

Toy Story
Bugs Life
Gladiator
Panic Room (superbit colection)
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Pitch Black

now there are plenty more but they are the first ones that spring to mind.

latest films i got were:

Changing Lanes
Van Wilder
Fear Dot Com
Lilo and Stitch
O (remake of Othello)
The Ring films 1 to 3
Ali G
LotR 4 Disc Set
Back to the Future 4 disc set
Orange County
and lot smore!

if you wanna see pics, then add me to msn or look on my face-pic page, the pics are old-ish, about 5 months now, but i will add new ones when i get my new digicam.

[email protected]
www.face-pic.com/alcofrolic

Cheers
Tue 14/01/03 at 21:41
Regular
Cheers for the advice but my bedroom really isn't big enough to start spending £1800 on speakers with high wattage as I am no where near max sound on the mains volume and individual central and surround sound volume controls. The system I got won numerous awards in America last year and one of the reviewers from IGN said that my Yamaha TSS-1 performed better than a Panasonic system costing 5 times as much! My system works really well with games and DVD's but I will upgrade my AMP as time goes on but I only go this is October 2002 and I don't want to consider swapping it yet. I will probably consider swapping my AMP in a couple of years when more DTS EX DVD's are released.

As I said earlier I have watched Blade 2 in DTS EX and 5.1 several times and to be honest I prefered the 5.1 mix as the balance was almost perfect. A lot of GameCube games only run in 4 Channel Pro Logic or some (Resident Evil) just run in Surround Sound which just emits the same sound out of all 4 speakers and it doesn't utilise the central speaker for anything. I have Rogue Leader 2 as well and that supports 5 channel Pro Logic 2 which is impressive but not of a Dolby Digital standard by a long shot.

Did you say you had watched Blade 2 in 5.1? I would have to rate that in my top 5 Dolby Digital films along with Gladiator 2 Disc Set, Star Wars Episode 2, Training Day (not really for huge explosions and bullets flying everywhere but it does have an excellent mix where birds flutter between speakers and voices around you in the gang areas) and Fight Club 2 Disc which is VERY impressive and it really works the Sub (flick to the chapter where Edwards Norton is on the aircraft and it collides with the other plane I was blown away)! Resident Evil also has a very good 5.1 mix, I rented it on region 2 a couple of weeks a god and I am waiting for the release in March to add it to my collection.

What DVD's do you recommend for excellent audio? I have around 35 DVD's now with a couple more arriving tomorrow, any favourites?
Tue 14/01/03 at 21:23
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Thats what I am hoping to do, but as you say I didn't think there was
> such a thing a 7.1 but if you attatch extra phono connections on the
> back of the AMP then you can purchase extra speakers and run them into
> it. Theoritically you could have 3 surround right speakers and 3
> surround left speakers all running into each other, one on the floor,
> one positioned on the wall and then one just below the roof which
> would increase the volume by a lot but it could possibly blow the AMP
> ;) I am looking to get the extra speaker sometime after my GCSE's so I
> have something to look forward to, but for now my system is great.

ok, you can add these speakers but it wont give you any extra output.
it will only simulate and copy the original output from the front and rear side speakers, causing a "hollow" efect.

this is what ceinemas do, it may appear they have about a million speakers all working independantly, but they dont.

the side speakers are used to allow the surround sound to be heard by anyone, no matter where they sit.

now, if you do add new speakers, this will decrease the effect of dolby digital, and dramatically reduce the effect of pro logic (and pro logic 2).

i would suggest you dont buy any more speakers, but save for a better amp, one that supports true 6.1 or indeed 7.1 surround.

there are plenty out there believe me.

ok, another point to make is, and you may already know this, to have a decent setup for home cinema/gameplay it is all downt o the speakers! you can get a £4000 amp and then get some £100 speakers but it will sound rubbish.

the general concensus is to get a decent amp, around £600-£800, and then spend the same again if not more on the speakers.
for example my amp was £800, and my speakers ahve cost me over £1800.
needless to say my system sounds very good, very good indeed.

thing is, i have built mine up, i used to have a simple 5.1 system with small sony speakers but now i have upgraded it to my new one, i would never go back

trust me, think this through before commiting yourself, sure enough 7.1 and even 6.1 are new, but if you buy now you will be planning ahead and the amp and setup will last you a lot longer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.