GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Bedroom will be none existent Sunday night!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
The Reason: Well, once I get paid on Sunday I'm off to the shop to buy me a 6.1 surround sound system which will be connected to my GC, PC, DVD, TV and CD player.

The Outcome: Wall's crumbling, windows smashing and me turning 100% deaf!
Wed 15/01/03 at 16:14
Regular
Rańđom_guÿ™ go for the advanced RGB scart cable and then purchase 2 phono to phono connections that will go into the red and white sockets on the back of your stereo AMP. If you want any more information just ask my MSN is:

[email protected]

Delorentis that sounds like a very good system :) Do you have a DVD player and Xbox or do you just have a GameCube? I have my Xbox and GameCube hooked up to my AMP and I am buying an RGB scart and phono adaptor so that I can have all 3 plugged in at once. With that I am getting a scart splitter for my TV so the only thing I actually have to do is turn the console on and set my AMP to the correct output (although it recognises my Xbox and selects it for me:)
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:37
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Sorry folks the paragraph mentioning "the source" - what I mean here is if the game/dvd/CD/DVD-A does not support a sound standard for multi channels you will only at best simulate it. This goes back to Alistairs original argument of the "source" having to support the decoder...

ummm 2k3 this topic is actually really really relevant. If you are buying a surround system it is good to delve into it and understand the basics and then if you want a more advanced understanding dig a bit. This is a huge topic, quite complicated and very interesting and take it from me -once you have heard a DTS enabled soundtrack on a decent setup and you can't feel your heartbeat cos your ribs are shaking so much - it's awesome.

So read a bit and take it on board. Then go to the shop and talk turkey cos now they can't fool you with mumbo jumbo stupid sales talk!!!!
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:33
Regular
i have just a normal stero, and although its not the biggest thing the diffrence is amazing, music adds loads more to the game when u can hear it will, also now when i go past a dino in starfox, or somin, the sound of him breatheing vibrates the floor top stuff.

any one got an idea which lead is best for connection to GC to TV (scart) and into stero?
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Well...I am investiagting all of this now and from what I have heard, read taken advice on...the two speaking the most sense at the moment are Alistair and edibear.

Edibear I was intrigued to hear of this 7.1 standard, and have come across it in the form of "speaker arrays". The article I read siad it was the format used in all dts/thx approved cinema's, and had not really penetrated the home market yet. This matched with your explanation of having two or more center speakers for different center channels and a set/array of rear speakers for rear channels. I am buying an amp for my home system and I beleive I represent the majority of users:

The emphasis here should be that if the source does not support the flavour of sound chanelling IT WON'T BE A GENUINE EFFECT!

-Dolby Digital and DD EX (AC3) from PC> decoded by Dolby digital deocder/amp to a 5.1 channel speaker set up.
-Any steareo signal (cable, tv, pc multichannel)>Can use straight DSP, Dolby Pro logic, Pro logic II.
-DTS EX 6.1 > decoder to 5 speakers and one sub woofer. Two center channels and 4 satellites. The .1 represents the sub for all plebs out there...
-THX this is not a SIGNAL folks this is a sound standard that is -components that are up to the task of providing the right decoding, fidelity and quality of sound are THX approved....

So - my ideal amp will be Dolby Digital and Dolby digital EX capable, DTS and DTS EX capable, Dolby Pro Logic and Pro logic II capable, THX approved (maybe) and will provide me with 100 watts per channel with an impedance of 8 ohms (for the strongest signals!)

Can't wait. Have a g'day.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:30
Regular
Superbit just applies to some region 1 titles doesn't it? I am getting Region X for my Xbox soon and I am going to import the Superbit Resident Evil 5.1/DTS but for now I only purchase or rent region 2 titles. I actually find that the Xbox DVD player is of a very high quality and the picture and sound representations are some of the highest I have seen on a DVD player. If it wasn't for the noise of the Xbox then it would be near perfect but sometimes the fans inside can become very annoying, not all the time but sometimes :(
Wed 15/01/03 at 09:32
Regular
um, ok.
if you knew anything at all about DVD players and in fact quality, you would know that the DVD player in a Panasonic Gamecube is nothing special by all means.

yes it may play multiregion discs, but the sound and picture playback will be nothing like a stand alone purpose built DVD player.
No console DVD player is any good compared to a top of th eline purpose built seperate one.

and, for your info i do know what im talking about becuase the shop near me sells them and i have used them many times.
i was going to get one but then realised how silly tat would be, i have a perfectly good DVD player which, surprise surprise s meant for DVDs, and i have a perfectly good gamecube which, oh shock horror, plays the games as its supposed to!
Wed 15/01/03 at 07:49
Regular
Well thats fine if you want to waste your time watching rubbish but listening to nice sounds.

Below average? Ha, you don't know what you're talking about. Next time you're banned Alco, do us a favour and don't come back.
Wed 15/01/03 at 00:48
Regular
alastair is correct, you dont understand WS.

if you are like me, and by the soun do fit alastair aswell, then you would understand.

as i said i have almost 460 odd DVDs, now obviiusly not all of them are great.
but to me they all hold a significant part.
memories of seeing them vbefore, and the most part is being able to sit downa nd watch them again and be blown away by the cinematography, screenplay and also audio.

to me audio plays the majr part in a film, if the film has no sound it has no effect whatsoever on you.
i have also bought films due to the audio being unsurpassed!

Alastair, where you say you rented panic room and werent impressed, was it he superbit collection version? i wasnt aware it was released in this country as a superbit title.
its not so much the souhnd at all times, its the atmosphere it creates.
there could be a dead silent part of the film, and just a tiny dripping water noise.
ok, on its own may sound poop, but if its in proper dts or dolby digtial then it will sound amazing!

as alastair stated, fight club when theh aeroplanes collide this sounds amazing!
also, the opening titles, if you were to play it on audio track 2 (dolby digital 2.0) for a second, then put it to audio track 1 (dolby digital 5.1/DTS) you will be amazed at the difference!

now, for WS and those who dont appreciate this, tough, you have your things you like we have ours.

like the panasonic Q, why did you choose it over a normal cube?
it does the same, except it has a below average DVD player built in.

as you are aware i got my cube from japan the day before general release, and i have never even considered buying a Q, or even watching a DVD on my xbox, or PS2.
they are games consoles, therefore play games!
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:25
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Thanks for the list, I would have to agree with you on the majority!
> Fast and the Furious is a rubbish film but the audio has scored very
> highly in reviews that I have read so I might pick it up

THAT is what I am getting it.

Not reasonable films, CRAP films. You jsut said it was a crap film, but you will buy it because it has nice, clear audio.

And I am merely saying that surely that is a completely ridiculous thing to do?

I never said buying an average film with nice sound was stupid, I said a crap film, a film you don't actually want to watch.

That would be like me buying every series of Bob the Builder on DVD because, despite being a rubbish programme for 3 year olds, it uses surround sound and I'm, an 'audio enthusiast'.

Even train spotters don't bother to spot the really cack trains.
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:07
Regular
You don't understand but you also can't see anyone elses point of view or respect anyone elses opinion can you? I have films like GoodFellas, LA Confidential, Toy Story 2, Training Day, Black Hawk Down, The Rock etc but then a film like Resident Evil comes along which has nice Audio and is a reasonable film so I get it mainly for the Home Cinema sound. I am entitled to do this and just because you can't see my point of view doesn't mean that I am wrong. I enjoy collecting different styles of DVD and I like strong Audio mixes in films for my 5.1 system.

I wouldn't turn around to you and say what a waste of money a Q-Cube was just to play Animal Crossing and a few games before they are released here when my GameCube (an ordinary GC) works just fine and it is hooked up to my AMP with an RGB Gold Plated Scart. Let people live with what they want and reailse that everyone isn't exactly like you!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.