GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Bedroom will be none existent Sunday night!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
The Reason: Well, once I get paid on Sunday I'm off to the shop to buy me a 6.1 surround sound system which will be connected to my GC, PC, DVD, TV and CD player.

The Outcome: Wall's crumbling, windows smashing and me turning 100% deaf!
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
The Reason: Well, once I get paid on Sunday I'm off to the shop to buy me a 6.1 surround sound system which will be connected to my GC, PC, DVD, TV and CD player.

The Outcome: Wall's crumbling, windows smashing and me turning 100% deaf!
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:41
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Sounds great :D
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:42
Regular
Nice one!

However your GameCube, TV, CD Player and PC don't support 6.1 and only a few DVD's (Blade 2 and Seven in my collection) actually support it. I have a 5.1 system that supports 6.1 or DTS EX as it is sometimes reffered to and to be honest I would get a system that supports it rather than paying more for a 6.1 system just for a few DVD's. All 6.1 does is use the central speaker as 2 seperate channels for different sounds and I have watched Blade 2 in 5.1 and DTS EX 6.1 and bar a slight difference in some of the fight scenes I couldn't tell the difference, in fact I would say that the 5.1 mix suited the film much better.

Definitley get a 5.1 system that supports Pro Logic/Pro Logic 2 for your GameCube but I wouldn't focus on 6.1 because it isn't much better (if any better) than Dolby Digital 5.1 I even use 4 channel Surround for Resident Evil because it doesn't support Pro Logic and it actually is very good and I have jumped numerous times as windows have smashed.

This is of course my opinion but you could save yourself money without losing quality :)
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:45
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Nice one!
>
TV, CD Player and PC don't support 6.1
> smashed.

Says you, god of all knowledge.

It depends wha tou have, I built my PC from scratch and oh yes it does support 6.1. And if you're willing to buy an expensive TV/CD player then those will support it too.
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:55
Regular
Yeah thanks but it's already soughted. My TV's new, my DVD players new therefore they both support it. To use 6.1 on my GC the system needs a decoder installed into it. This system does for £100. To use it with a PC you need a sound card that supports 6.1. That costs £30.
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:12
Regular
But its not the fact that the systems support it, it is the games, CD's developed for it. GameCube games are developed using Dolby Digital technology and the majority of music CD's don't support 5.1 never mind 6.1. Its Okay saying that you can buy a decoder for the GameCube but that is also a waste of money because GameCube games aren't decoded with Dolby Digital and developers only use Pro Logic/Pro Logic 2 editing tools.

All good DVD players should have a 6.1 decoder built into them but once again I am not talking about the systems I am talking about the software released for them. Hardly any DVD's as of yet support 6.1 but for those that do mine does support it. Its like buying a 2.4GHZ PC with 512MB ram and a new Ge Force graphics card and then purchasing Command and Conqer 1 to run on it. Yes the system supports what is needed but the software doesn't require or doesn't support what the hardware demands/requires.

WS you said you built your PC with a 6.1 Dolby chip but there was no point as PC games are developed in 4.1 and apart from a few DVD's it is pointless having it. The same applies to the TV, unless the software supports it you can't run it in 6.1! I can't run my GameCube in 5.1/DTS because it only supports Pro Logic/Pro Logic 2 and until developers use Dolby Digital technology for the GameCube then I will have to keep running it at 4 channel or 5 channel surround/Pro Logi/Pro Logic 2.
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
2k3 wrote:
> Yeah thanks but it's already soughted. My TV's new, my DVD players new
> therefore they both support it. To use 6.1 on my GC the system needs a
> decoder installed into it. This system does for £100. To use it
> with a PC you need a sound card that supports 6.1. That costs
> £30.

But you will need a decoder for your DVD player and TV I would have thought as well. TVs and DVD players do have the optical in, but I dont think they have built in decoders unless there top of the range. My friend has a brand new Sony 28in flatscreen widescreen TV and he needs an amp to play 5.1 on it.
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:17
Regular
ÂLÂSÝÂÎR wrote:

>
> WS you said you built your PC with a 6.1 Dolby chip but there was no
> point as PC games are developed in 4.1

Shows what you know
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:18
Regular
Drafting in your Xbox buddies?
Tue 14/01/03 at 10:17
Regular
well, if this is about quality of system then i feel as though i can compete below:

i have a SONY 7.1 DTS ES/EX surround amp,
SONY 725 DVD player (still top of the range even now),
36inch SONY Art Couteur WEGA TV,
Set of BOSE 7.1 speaker kit (obviously as there are no 7.1 kits available i had to buy 2 extra),
i also have a set of SONY speakers, only 5.1 DTS, but this is my old amp and is setup in my other room with my older 525 SONY player.

now, i am well aware of the fact that only a handful of 7.1 DVDs exist so far.
examples being Blade 2, Cast Away, Star Wars Episode 2 and beleive it or not, Rush Hour 2.
Other titles that are of amazing sound are the ones released in the SuperBit collection, namely Air Force One and Panic Room.

as a lot of you know and others that dont, probably should, i used ot own my own DVD company at www.webdvduk.com
since then it has become impossible to compete with other mainstream companies like Play.com and DVDcrave.com

now the site is found at www.webdvduk.co.uk and is mainly for info and comments etc on new releases and the general DVD format.

the site is no way near finished and is only in testing atages.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.