GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Patches of (un)happiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2354

Oh dear!

If this is what online console gaming means, stop it now!

Okay, you could argue that it's a good thing... but then, one of the main attractions of console games has always been that you don't need to worry about this sort of thing.

Future of gaming, or a backward step for consoles?
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:59
Regular
Grow up The Master.

In the meantime, the Xbox soundtrack feature is a great feature in my opinion, not all games support it mind, so theres a mix of what you can do.
Thu 16/01/03 at 01:49
"Lemon eyewash"
you didn't like sega GT coz it had a sega logo (and your a ninty fan boy so that wet your pants) and then you saw it looked better than all the driving games on GC. so after messing yourself you took the disc out and cried to your mum.

it was kinda nice without whitestripes for a while eh
Wed 15/01/03 at 22:38
Regular
Yes, but it's a very obvious trend that anything with Nintendo on it automatically is rubbish for you. As for Sega GT, that had me reaching for the power button and disk eject quicker than a very quick thing. And as you so conviently block out any writing you don't want to see, we have already discussed that it is possibly (just about, if your lucky..) to play your own music without needing to install it on a hard-drive in a console.

And yes, I have a few wall mounted speakers for my CD player, and then the surround sound on the desk and on stands, so you're sitting in the middle of it, obviously. Obviously, whatever the original subject was is boring :)
Wed 15/01/03 at 22:12
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Whitestripes wrote:
> For adventures games like Zelda I prefer to listen to the original
> sounds of the game anyway, especcially in Nintendo's case they are
> flawlessly designed to match what's happening in the game at the
> time.

*Sound of sirens going off* Fanboy Alert !

Flawless eh ? I assume this excludes Super Mario Sunshine, whose tropical sounds had me reaching for the mute sound on the TV faster than fast... Generally sounds in games are okay, but in driving ones, like Sega GT2002, I like being able to have my own music playing.

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 15/01/03 at 22:05
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Well I don't think playing music CDs through surround sound makes any
> difference, so I don't care about that.

Yeah. I know listening in surround sound doesn't make any difference, but I put everything through the amp to save having several sets of speakers. My amp speakers are also very powerful. Fair enough if you have different speakers for your CD player, but I was just saying the method was ideal for me.

> And if you want to listen to something different you would ahve to
> pause it and go through the jukebox thingy anyway, doesn't take 10
> seconds to change a CD over.

On most games with the soundtrack feature, you can select several different albums and tell it to skip randomly between them all. You don't have to manually change it. The only annoying thing about copying albums onto the HDD is it can take a while to transfer them across from CD.

Anyway, I think we've gone a bit off topic here :-)
Wed 15/01/03 at 22:00
Regular
Well I don't think playing music CDs through surround sound makes any difference, so I don't care about that.

Also, the only games that use that feature are the sort of driving/Tony Hawks style games that use songs as their soundtrack, in which case I prefer to turn the sound off completely and just listen to music. I can live without hearing the..err..engine.

For adventures games like Zelda I prefer to listen to the original sounds of the game anyway, especcially in Nintendo's case they are flawlessly designed to match what's happening in the game at the time.

And if you want to listen to something different you would ahve to pause it and go through the jukebox thingy anyway, doesn't take 10 seconds to change a CD over.
Wed 15/01/03 at 21:49
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
As for game patches. In my opinion, it's ok if the developers genuinely did a lot of testing and missed the bug through no fault of their own. These things can get through even with a large amount of testing.

However, what I don't want with the Xbox is the amount of games released half complete like we see with the PC. That's just not acceptable. Developers might see Xbox Live as a lazy solution to turn the entire gaming population into beta testers that are paying to play. This I don't want.

The idea of adding extra game features is a good one, however. As someone said before, this is not correcting mistakes, but rather adding to the lasting appeal of the game. I see no problem with that.

I suspect Xbox Live updates will also be available on OXM demo disks at some point, too. If it was a major upgrade like Unreal, I don't see why someone without Xbox Live (who has still paid for Unreal, and should expect it to work flawlessly) shouldn't have access to the patch.
Wed 15/01/03 at 21:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Indeedily doodily.

And your CDs don't got to waste.

Er......yes!

:)
Wed 15/01/03 at 21:43
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
But surely it's much easier to have many different albums all loaded into your game without the need to switch on your CD player, or even change the disk.

And seeing as I use my dolby digital amp to power my CD player, it's impossible for me to use both the Xbox and CD player at the same time. This means, for me, the Xbox HDD is an ideal solution.
Wed 15/01/03 at 21:40
Regular
And you can continue listening without interuptions, when your on the menu screen or the next bit is loading or whatever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.