GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Patches of (un)happiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2354

Oh dear!

If this is what online console gaming means, stop it now!

Okay, you could argue that it's a good thing... but then, one of the main attractions of console games has always been that you don't need to worry about this sort of thing.

Future of gaming, or a backward step for consoles?
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:34
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Turning volume down, turning CD plaer up, whatever- its still a
> workaround to a feature Xbox has built in.

Yes, and a very simple, quick work-around, one that is a hell of a lot shorter than copying your CD to the hard-drive.

>And as you and Cyclone
> have demonstrated its a feature which every gamer would appricate.

no, there are pros and cons.

Pros
- Don't have to change CDs (and to be honest, you have to be damn lazy for this to apply, and there are automatic CD changers you know)
-Automatically incorporates it into the game (though you can recreate the effect quickly anyway)

Cons:
-Have to copy entire album collection to hard-drive (which for me, would take a hell of long time, not to mention a lot the 8GB up)
-Music stops when loading, menus or options screen etc, which I find incredibly irritating when in the middle of a song.
-Isn't actually used with that many games anyway.
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
No. Worse IMO.
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:24
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Turning volume down, turning CD plaer up, whatever- its still a workaround to a feature Xbox has built in. And as you and Cyclone have demonstrated its a feature which every gamer would appricate.
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:23
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Wow cam dowm.

Are you from Liverpool? :)
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Wow cam dowm. Replace your name with cyclone then- the headphone thing was for him.
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:07
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Heh, I can read between the lines of what you're saying
> Whitestripes.

err...you mean you're making stuff up?
>
> You said you've been listening to your own music through head phones,
> which suggests you would like the option of the console playing your
> own music. But, GC can't so you have to fiddle about with other CD
> players.

ermm..no, I don't even own a pair of headphones (well, there's a broken pair that came with my disused discman). I have a few wall mounted speakers for my stereo

>
> Basically, I think you would apperciate if GC had the option of using
> your own music. Because you have resorted to headphones.

I don't have headphones, if you could read, you would see that cyclone says he uses cordless headphones, I do not.

And no, I wouldn't use it. Like I've said, only games were the sound isn't important use the feature, like racing games, in which cas eI would prefer constant music, instead of it just playing through the race, and stopping at menu screens and loading the next track.

And finally, I'm far too lazy to copy all my albums onto a hard-drive, where as changing the CD merely requires me not getting up, and jsut stretching to the right to take the CD case out of my nice, neat rack and putting the CD in the player.

Oh, and then of course there are these things called; CD changers, don't know if you've ever hears of them.

Please don't assume things and just make stuff up to make your argument seem more valid. This shouldn't even be an argument, it isn't exactly a system selling feature is it?
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:00
Regular
Yes, and what Adventure or RPG games use this feature?

It's only used in racing games and TH style games, and sound isn't important, there are no cut scenes detailing important plot advances in PGR is there?

And besides, you do what I've already said, you turn the music down to zero and keep speach and sound effects at full, hence creating the same affect, but it doesn't stop when you go to a menu screen or load the next section, which is irritating when you're in the middle of song.

And spending 20 seconds to change a CD every 45 minutes isn't the greatest hardship or distraction you're going to face now is it?
Thu 16/01/03 at 22:57
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Heh, I can read between the lines of what you're saying Whitestripes.

You said you've been listening to your own music through head phones, which suggests you would like the option of the console playing your own music. But, GC can't so you have to fiddle about with other CD players.

Basically, I think you would apperciate if GC had the option of using your own music. Because you have resorted to headphones.

What you're saying is like "ohh I don't need a 32 inch widescreen, I just sit closer to the telly so it seams bigger and I save alot of money". :)
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
With the X-Box titles playing your soundtracks though, its all blended into the game so that you haven't constantly got music blurring when you're on sections of the game which you might need to pay some attention too. Plus its nice to play a game without having the distraction of having to pause it while you mess around changing CD's.

Its all nice having the music as you play through a game, but what if you reach a section like say a mission briefing or something, which you need to hear properly ? Your constantly left messing around with your CD.
With the X-Box, it plays your tracks at the right moments - when you're playing through a level/race/mission. And the bonus is that theres no distraction of having to mess around with CD's in the background.
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
I find that a bit hard to beleive given that my favourite game ever, Skies of Arcadia, is a Sega game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.