GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Patches of (un)happiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2354

Oh dear!

If this is what online console gaming means, stop it now!

Okay, you could argue that it's a good thing... but then, one of the main attractions of console games has always been that you don't need to worry about this sort of thing.

Future of gaming, or a backward step for consoles?
Sat 18/01/03 at 19:26
Regular
Well Microsoft won't be the ones paying for it will they? Only for their games, the publishers or developers for each game would make the discs.
Sat 18/01/03 at 19:07
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
AOL manages to produce millions of their accursed CDs every year, doesn't it ? For starters people have to claim the CD, and many will just download it. It's hardly going to dent MS's bank balance.

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 18/01/03 at 12:56
"slightlyshortertagl"
about the downloads.... I don't think thats patches will become a viable option for MS, how will they be able to afford sending out hundreds of thousands of CDs (for offline people) every time a patch is released
Sat 18/01/03 at 12:21
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Who the hell can afford an X-Box and not a CD player?

I have a 3 CD auto changer (cost £180 2 years ago). However, I still use my Xbox as the CD player as I find the quality to be far superior through my amp and optical cable.

Of course, I could hook up the optical out on my cd player to the amp, but I don't need to now I have the Xbox - saving space on inputs to the amp.
Sat 18/01/03 at 11:31
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Yes, but it's a very obvious trend that anything with Nintendo on it
> automatically is rubbish for you. As for Sega GT, that had me reaching
> for the power button and disk eject quicker than a very quick thing.
> And as you so conviently block out any writing you don't want to see,
> we have already discussed that it is possibly (just about, if your
> lucky..) to play your own music without needing to install it on a
> hard-drive in a console.

Hate to say it buy Nintendo stuff just doesn't get me interested anymore, simple as that I'm afraid. Sega GT is a good game, plus a lot of people have got it for free. T

The point that many are missing is that being able to put music into Xbox games is not just about copying a whole album onto the HD then listening to it, the idea is also that you make up your own soundtracks for using in games, so that you only hear the music you want to hear ! For those who have the time this is a good feature as certain music does tend to work best in certain games, and rarely can this be said for a whole album of music from one artist.

In the end it's another feature for Xbox owners to do with as they wish, the console needed a hd anyway, so this is another use for it, simple as that. Nintendo's Gamecube's appeal is supposed to be it just does games; maybe this is why I lost interest in it. Sure, I have a stereo, a DVD player e.t.c all as seperate things, but the Xbox does them all in one box to a good standard, for a fraction of the price. Look at it like this. If I sit down on my bed and play on my xbox I can play a game, in some cases go online and play the game, and in some cases listen to my own choice of music for the game. It's about choice.

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 18/01/03 at 00:40
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Xbox is a CD player. :P

Just saying the featues is good if you dont have a CD player near your Xbox. Ok. Fine.

So... that patch for Unreal Champ. Boy its needed alright. Only a good thing as long as companies dont make a habit of it.
Sat 18/01/03 at 00:14
Regular
Who the hell can afford an X-Box and not a CD player?
Fri 17/01/03 at 23:55
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Desert Storm uses the hard drive soundtracks. :-)
Plus if you're using the disk swap method and messing around with your stereo, in the long run, its far from quicker than putting the tracks onto the console - doesn't really take that long to do it.

As for the automatic method, what if you haven't got it ? Thats extra expense on top of what you paid for the console. :-)
Fri 17/01/03 at 18:24
Regular
Jeez.

The xbox soundtrack feature is just an extra add on! Nothing essential and not all games use it. Racing games benefit from it, And I have my CD player right next to my Xbox so it does'nt bother me.

Your all acting like children.
Thu 16/01/03 at 23:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You know CD players have remote controls.

You can sit at your console playing games with the remote control, if something is not to your liking, just point and press.

Point and press.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.