GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Patches of (un)happiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2354

Oh dear!

If this is what online console gaming means, stop it now!

Okay, you could argue that it's a good thing... but then, one of the main attractions of console games has always been that you don't need to worry about this sort of thing.

Future of gaming, or a backward step for consoles?
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:20
"High polygon count"
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2354

Oh dear!

If this is what online console gaming means, stop it now!

Okay, you could argue that it's a good thing... but then, one of the main attractions of console games has always been that you don't need to worry about this sort of thing.

Future of gaming, or a backward step for consoles?
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:50
"slightlyshortertagl"
I really don't mind as long as the patch automatically downloads by itself. Then there wouldn't be any sort of problems with the hassle of downloading a patch then having to install it and all.
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
If Xbox Live involved 56k connections then I'd say this is a problem, as it is, broadband can easily handle downloading these quickly, and if it improves games for free then it can't be all that bad. I honestly do not think you will see tons of these kinds of patches because Unreal is the only one of the XBL games to have major issues. Mech Assault add ons are new games styles and mechs - hardly a pain in the neck !

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 14/01/03 at 21:55
"Lemon eyewash"

"So is it a portable PC in a box, or isn't it? The incredible specs and numerous PC ports would seem to suggest maybe it is, but Microsoft are adamant the Xbox is a games console, pure and simple. However, developers Digital Extremes have recently revealed on numerous Unreal forums that they are to release a patch for Unreal Championship, the first Xbox game to go under the knife after release. Sounds like a PC in a box to us."

well this is from the story but i ask, what so bad if it is a PC in a box, after all the PC is probably the best games machine eh.
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:46
Regular
Then why do you lot own an X-Box?

Such misguided fools..
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:00
Regular
To play the great games without installation worries and usual PC slow down in games. The PC is the best platform but I don't like it because of all the errors that occur when trying to do the most simple of gaming tasks. Games like Project Gotham Racing, Amped, Dead or Alive 3, Fable, Panzer Dragoon Orta etc won't be appearing on the PC so those games along with Halo 1+2 and new Rare titles and sequels to the great launch titles is enough to make it a great console and one that a lot of people are yet to realise how good it actually is! Halo on the Xbox will be better than the PC version and the amount of problems that will come with that game will be huge! Not only that but it is about time and releases, Halo for the Xbox was released in March 2002 and the PC July 2003 or possibly later. As a keen gamer myself Halo is one of my all time favourite games and I wouldn't want to wait over a year for a game that I can get now on a more reliable platform.

By the time Halo is out on the PC Halo 2 will be only months away from release and then you might have to wait 2 years if it ever is released for the PC. I aren't patient, I don't have a powerful enough PC, I like to customise sound tracks in games, I want the best Multi-Platform version of a game, I use it as a DVD player, I have a Home Cinema system hooked up to it which increases the amount of times I play a game and most of all my favourite genres are Racing/FPS and 3rd person action adventure and the Xbox has all the best of these (I got a GameCube for platform, Resident Evil and generally different style of games) even if they are ports from PC. Does this make any sense?
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:14
Regular
*yawn*

you are so boring garbe, you post the same dull statement in every topic

And you never know when things are serious or not, the slightest negative word about the XBox cause you to write a 2000 word essay on why you bought an XBox, almost as if you are trying to convince yourself you made the right choice

And extra content isn't a problem, patches are different as you're changing the original game files, not just adding new ones. The thing to be concerned about is if a lot of games start doing patches, there is a greatly increased chance of hard-drive files corrupting and getting hard-drive errors. As there is no large operating system or other applications it might not ever happen, but the more things you install on that hard-drive the more risk there is.
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:21
Regular
Unless you've left the forums for today, I bet you're sitting there typing up a huge monotonous post to explain why....
Wed 15/01/03 at 08:25
Regular
Basically, this is a good thing for many several reasons.

It shows that the PC industry is going to try it's own methods in the console market. Epic have openly stood up and said this game has some major flaws, like slowdown when your on a level with just one other bad guy, and we're going to fix it.

It would be much easier to release the game in the strict constraints set by budgets and by publisher release dates. It would be much easier then to say, well, the games out on time and in budget, so we're not going to give you any support at later dates, but they haven't. What they've said is, no one is perfect, and the fact that we can install patches on your xbox without you having to worry about directories, where to put it, whether the new patch will work with your week out of date video card driver etc.etc.

You go into the game, and one day it will automatically come up saying that it's downloading a patch, one minute later, all those annoying things about UC will be gone.

Think about it, you either buy a hyped, late, expensive game which dissappoints and never get any post-release support, or you get a platform which accepts that people make mistakes due to their working constraints, but they're going to fix them.

If you go down the road of no patches on a simple system, this game would suck forever more. Xbox Live patches itself, it needs to. What happens if someone hacks their servers tomorrow and you can't get a patch, your credit card details are there for anyone with a PC and an internet connection to obtain.

Downloadable content will also be available as patches. New levels, new characters/skins for multiplayer games/ new game types (i.e. CTF on MechAssault).

It keeps things fresh, it keeps things up to date and at the end of the day it makes decent games better.
Wed 15/01/03 at 08:43
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Then why do you lot own an X-Box?
>
> Such misguided fools..

Calm down fanboy....

Incidentally the Gamecube contains many parts simialr to a PC's, such as the IBM microprocessor, but unfortunately no hard drive.

Really, any console is just a set of computer components all brought together to make a machine for one purpose - console games. The PC is a modular kind of machine, with users able to chop and change components and have a greater choice, with all the positive and negative effects that has.

Even so, over Christmas, Xbox outsold the GC so obviously most buyers were more concerned about games, than arguing about construction, strangely enough.

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.