GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube not doing too well...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Taken from C&VG.com:

Ready for this? Sure, we've thrown more numbers at you in the last few days than a conference of mathematicians discussing the latest quantum giga-flux theory, but we've got another batch for you - perhaps the most visually shocking of the lot.
Australia is the setting - sun-kissed home of natural beauty and natural home of sun-kissed beauties - and the Christmas sales figures for the big three consoles are in.

No surprise at the top, with PS2 securing around 84,477 sales during the last three weeks of December. Microsoft came second, with the Xbox finding its way into a decent 45,939 tinsel-draped homes.

And then there's Nintendo. Ah, Nintendo! We love you, we really do. A fine machine with some of the most creative and downright playable games on the planet. Home of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox and, of course, Mario. How did the GameCube sell during the Christmas period in the land they call Oz?

5,846. Five thousand, eight hundred and forty six. Xbox sold over forty-five thousand. GameCube failed to break six. Barely 3% of the overall market share. Hum.

Reasons? Well, if we're to believe EA's Bob Katz, Nintendo's "disappointing reluctance to compete" was behind the shortfall. Katz's comment may also explain why EA started to reduce the price of its games towards the end of last year - simply not enough numbers to do good business.

Will 2003 prove any different? Regional analysts seem to think not, but we can only wait and see.
- - - - - - - - -

Oh dear...
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:36
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Top score wrote:
> You are not lying you are just a bit dense.

About as dense as saying if you've played on N64 game, you've played them all?
Cretin.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:34
Regular
Totoro wrote:
> That's really starnge, as the dvd playing capabilities on my PS2
> aren't as good as my middle of the range Samsung dvd player.
> So one of us is lying, and I have the sneaking suspicion that it's
> you.

No its you because you must have a rubbish TV, unless you are one of these saddos who look at the picture with a magnifying glass to see any differences, anyone that knows anything about dvd knows that the differences between top of the range models and bottom of the range are very slight and more to do with the features they offer. You are not lying you are just a bit dense.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Top score wrote:

> It is funny how the N64 seemed to the same graphics engine for the
> majority of there games, Zelda , Mario, and Donkey kong it was like
> once you have played one of them you have palyed all of them see I
> would call that boring, not to mention the cr@ppy blurred graphics.
> My brother sold his PS1 and got a N64 why was it then he still spent
> most of the time playing on my PS1 and sold his N64 3months after
> buying it, reason all the games were kiddie and brainless a bit like
> Nintendo fanboys.

It's "their games" NOT "there games" you plonker. Once you've played one, you've played them all? Idiot! So Goldeneye and Mario Kart were identical games, right? Or Zelda was the same as Mario 64? If you could back up your arguments with something logical, I'd understand. But you can't. I'm not going to insult Sony fans because there's no pint. But I'll insult you, Top Score, you prepubescent boil living under the scum of humanity.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:32
Regular
Totoro wrote:
> Top score wrote:
> My father has a top of the range pioneer dvd player and the dvd
> quality is the same on both.
>
> So you're saying that the PS2's dvd playing capabilities are as good
> as that of a top of the range Pioneer player??
> That's really starnge, as the dvd playing capabilities on my PS2
> aren't as good as my middle of the range Samsung dvd player.
> So one of us is lying, and I have the sneaking suspicion that it's
> you.

I have a top of the line Sony DVD/SACD drive connected to my tv - and PS2 DVD looks only slightly less sharp. Colours are a fraction better on the DVD/SACD drive - but that's it. If you have problems with playing DVD's on your PS2, take it back to the shop as there must be some thing wrong with it.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:28
Regular
more xBox rip off....

Custom USB ports - by design, not accident. Invent some thing that people don't need - USB was already out b4 XBox came along, so why not use that?

Simple, if XBox had used standard USB - people would be able to move devices from PC onto XBox - to save money. Make XBox have custom USB, and any "devices" like a mouse will have to designed just for XBox. So if there were to be a big add on market for XBox, you would have to buy all of it again - even if you already had the same thing on your "standard" pc.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:28
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:
anything from the N64 format disaster.
N64 had some revolutionary games on it
Goldeneye. Mario 64, Super Mario Kart

It is funny how the N64 seemed to the same graphics engine for the majority of there games, Zelda , Mario, and Donkey kong it was like once you have played one of them you have palyed all of them see I would call that boring, not to mention the cr@ppy blurred graphics. My brother sold his PS1 and got a N64 why was it then he still spent most of the time playing on my PS1 and sold his N64 3months after buying it, reason all the games were kiddie and brainless a bit like Nintendo fanboys.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Top score wrote:

> quality is the same on both, buy the way don't forget to buy the extra
> dvd remote for your Xbox otherwise you won't be able to play dvd's
> (another Bill Gates rip-off) .

Don't forget to buy a mulitplayer adaptor to play four player games. (Another Sony rip-off)
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Top score wrote:
> quality is the same on both.

So you're saying that the PS2's dvd playing capabilities are as good as that of a top of the range Pioneer player??
That's really starnge, as the dvd playing capabilities on my PS2 aren't as good as my middle of the range Samsung dvd player.
So one of us is lying, and I have the sneaking suspicion that it's you.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:19
Regular
Your Honour wrote:

> I then sold it because GT3 was crap, and the DVD player wasn't much better either.

HA HA HA Sorry I just had to laugh at the comment about GT3 being cr@p. Don't make me laugh the shat handling and average graphics on Project Gotham (MSR in drag) is no match for GT3 its not even on the same lap.

My father has a top of the range pioneer dvd player and the dvd quality is the same on both, buy the way don't forget to buy the extra dvd remote for your Xbox otherwise you won't be able to play dvd's (another Bill Gates rip-off) .
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:18
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Hairy mu*f.

Erm, I mean fair enough!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.