GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube not doing too well...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Taken from C&VG.com:

Ready for this? Sure, we've thrown more numbers at you in the last few days than a conference of mathematicians discussing the latest quantum giga-flux theory, but we've got another batch for you - perhaps the most visually shocking of the lot.
Australia is the setting - sun-kissed home of natural beauty and natural home of sun-kissed beauties - and the Christmas sales figures for the big three consoles are in.

No surprise at the top, with PS2 securing around 84,477 sales during the last three weeks of December. Microsoft came second, with the Xbox finding its way into a decent 45,939 tinsel-draped homes.

And then there's Nintendo. Ah, Nintendo! We love you, we really do. A fine machine with some of the most creative and downright playable games on the planet. Home of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox and, of course, Mario. How did the GameCube sell during the Christmas period in the land they call Oz?

5,846. Five thousand, eight hundred and forty six. Xbox sold over forty-five thousand. GameCube failed to break six. Barely 3% of the overall market share. Hum.

Reasons? Well, if we're to believe EA's Bob Katz, Nintendo's "disappointing reluctance to compete" was behind the shortfall. Katz's comment may also explain why EA started to reduce the price of its games towards the end of last year - simply not enough numbers to do good business.

Will 2003 prove any different? Regional analysts seem to think not, but we can only wait and see.
- - - - - - - - -

Oh dear...
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:44
Regular
bah
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:43
Regular
I just read through this entire topic, and too see how much crap you all posted!

Look, here's the deal:

PS2: Large User Base, huge game library, small percentage of good games, worst hardware. Suits the needs of all, but the games aren't that great.

Xbox :Best hardware, mediocre percentage of good games, low userbase, mediocre library. Best only for adults, games are far more adultish, and are difficult to play by children.

Gamecube: No DVD player, extremely good hardware, tiny game library, huge percentage of good games. Critiscised often for "kiddiness", but what does that mean? It can't mean the skill level, as My 11 year old brother can't get by the first level of Mario Sunshine. Makes the best games in the world.

Happy?
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:43
Regular
I just read through this entire topic, and too see how much crap you all posted!

Look, here's the deal:

PS2: Large User Base, huge game library, small percentage of good games, worst hardware. Suits the needs of all, but the games aren't that great.

Xbox :Best hardware, mediocre percentage of good games, low userbase, mediocre library. Best only for adults, games are far more adultish, and are difficult to play by children.

Gamecube: No DVD player, extremely good hardware, tiny game library, huge percentage of good games. Critiscised often for "kiddiness", but what does that mean? It can't mean the skill level, as My 11 year old brother can't get by the first level of Mario Sunshine. Makes the best games in the world.

Happy?
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:04
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Nag, nag, nag.

Blah, blah, blah.

My console's better than yours! Honest!
Thu 16/01/03 at 17:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Splinter Cell due for GBA this year - that will be interesting then
> (side, cough, scroller, i bet).

My fears about you being an idiot are confirmed.
Again.
Thu 16/01/03 at 16:03
Regular
Update2.01 wrote:
The slight improvement in some ports of ps2
> games to GC/XBox does not justify the wait and switching console (or
> just buying another).

The fact is though that this argument is practically null and void nowadays. Some game have taken longer because of the Cube and Xbox being released a lot later than PS2, so versions have been started on later.

Games like Burnout 2 have taken longer because Sony bought the rights to have them exclusively on PS2 for 6 months.

The majority of Multi format games nowadays come out in around the same 2 week time space. Some games even come out on Xbox and Cube before PS2, Tony Hawks 4 being a member of this group.

Anyway even if the earlier statement was true, Gamecube and Xbox owners have some amazing exclusive titles to fill the gaps where as PS2 mainly relys on 3rd party games.
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:58
Regular
i love matthew Kelly and pete townsend don't ignore me Ba*tards
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:54
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Update2.01 wrote:

> The slight improvement in some ports of ps2 games to GC/XBox does not justify the wait and switching console (or just buying another).

Of course it does. That's a stupid thing to say. I'd rather wait for a better version of a game on a format I have rather than buying it on another format that is inferior if I own more than one next gen console. An example is Timesplitters 2. Better on the GC than PS2. My brother has a PS2 but he decided to wait for it on my GC rather than buying it on PS2 because:

1)It's better on the GC (I've compared both versions)
2) Four player matches are more easily enabled on the GC due to having 4 joypad ports.
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:44
Regular
My version of the game is better than yours. My version has 1 extra level or My version has updated lighting effects - look real close and you can see the upgrade. The slight improvement in some ports of ps2 games to GC/XBox does not justify the wait and switching console (or just buying another).

Splinter Cell due for GBA this year - that will be interesting then (side, cough, scroller, i bet).
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:41
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Top score wrote:

> Because the public don't seem to think there much cope.

ENGLISH LESSON FOR THE FETID, INEFFABLE, QUERULOUS, REBARBATIVE, TORPID CRETIN KNOWN AS TOP SCORE:

There are three different types of word like this, each meaning something different:

THERE - used when referring to something somewhere. E.g. "It is over there"

THEIR - used when referring to something belonging to people. E.g. "It is their Gamecube"

THEY'RE - Used as a shortened form of "they are". This should have been used in the sentence above. E.g. "Because the public don't seem to think THEY'RE much COP" (not cope)

It's easy to teach you the correct context to use words. But it's infinitely harder to teach you some sense and logic, you moron.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.