GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube not doing too well...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Taken from C&VG.com:

Ready for this? Sure, we've thrown more numbers at you in the last few days than a conference of mathematicians discussing the latest quantum giga-flux theory, but we've got another batch for you - perhaps the most visually shocking of the lot.
Australia is the setting - sun-kissed home of natural beauty and natural home of sun-kissed beauties - and the Christmas sales figures for the big three consoles are in.

No surprise at the top, with PS2 securing around 84,477 sales during the last three weeks of December. Microsoft came second, with the Xbox finding its way into a decent 45,939 tinsel-draped homes.

And then there's Nintendo. Ah, Nintendo! We love you, we really do. A fine machine with some of the most creative and downright playable games on the planet. Home of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox and, of course, Mario. How did the GameCube sell during the Christmas period in the land they call Oz?

5,846. Five thousand, eight hundred and forty six. Xbox sold over forty-five thousand. GameCube failed to break six. Barely 3% of the overall market share. Hum.

Reasons? Well, if we're to believe EA's Bob Katz, Nintendo's "disappointing reluctance to compete" was behind the shortfall. Katz's comment may also explain why EA started to reduce the price of its games towards the end of last year - simply not enough numbers to do good business.

Will 2003 prove any different? Regional analysts seem to think not, but we can only wait and see.
- - - - - - - - -

Oh dear...
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:51
Regular
Let face it after Mario 64 every 3rd person game Nintendo made was a rip-off of that, now if that is not unoriginal that what is. Mario Sunshine is also a poor, average sequel to Mario 64.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:50
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Top score wrote:
> as for the prizes what was it for Nerd of the day.

No, I wouldn't be able to get that trophy out of your grubby little hands.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:48
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Top score wrote:
> Such passion does the truth hurt, when I mentioned the N64 games using
> the same game engine, I did not say that there first person games use
> it I was on about games like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario and Conkers bad
> fur day I challenge you to prove they didn't use the same game engine
> because they certainly play like they did.

IT'S "THEIR" NOT "THERE". Did you learn English, fool?

Of course they didn't use the same engine. Different companies made them. GTA, Vice City, The Getaway, Driven - they all use the same engine because they play the same, right? WRONG.

TOP SCORE IS A BIASED IDIOT WITH NO COHERENT THOUGHT OR EVEN TWO BRAIN CELLS TO RUB TOGETHER.

It's a wonder you're alive - maybe you should donate your body to medical science so doctors can find out how someone who clearly has no brain can still be alive.
Regular
Totoro wrote:
> Whilst, I have been here 436 days and won 23 prizes with many
> intelligent/witty topics that are actually interesting and not just
> fanboy spiel.

Intelligent/witty topics

Artificial Intelligent/ Wiffy topics more like., as for the prizes what was it for Nerd of the day.
Regular
Totoro wrote:

> What's wrong with those games using the same game engine? Perhaps they
> did but what has that got to do with anything??

They didn't anyway. Donkey Kong used an updated Banjo Kazooie engine. Mario and Zelda where made with entirely new engines and Conker was made using an updated Jet Force Gemini engine.

Not sure why this matters anyway.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Top score wrote:
> Such passion does the truth hurt, when I mentioned the N64 games using
> the same game engine, I did not say that there first person games use
> it I was on about games like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario and Conkers bad
> fur day I challenge you to prove they didn't use the same game engine
> because they certainly play like they did.

What's wrong with those games using the same game engine? Perhaps they did but what has that got to do with anything??
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:42
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Top score wrote:
> You are not lying you are just a bit dense.

Let's take a look at that more closley shall we.
Your biased little fanboy butt has been here 114 days and have so far won nothing due to you mainly posting anti-Nintendo drivel.
Whilst, I have been here 436 days and won 23 prizes with many intelligent/witty topics that are actually interesting and not just fanboy spiel.

So, who is the dense one now may I ask?
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:40
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:
> Mario 64? If you could back up your arguments with something logical,
> I'd understand. But you can't. I'm not going to insult Sony fans
> because there's no pint. But I'll insult you, Top Score, you
> prepubescent boil living under the scum of humanity.

Such passion does the truth hurt, when I mentioned the N64 games using the same game engine, I did not say that there first person games use it I was on about games like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario and Conkers bad fur day I challenge you to prove they didn't use the same game engine because they certainly play like they did.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:38
Regular
Oh yay Top Score and his leper girlfriend Update2.01 are back.
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:38
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:
> Top score wrote:
>
> My father has a top of the range pioneer dvd player and the dvd
> quality is the same on both, buy the way don't forget to buy the
> extra
> dvd remote for your Xbox otherwise you won't be able to play dvd's
> (another Bill Gates rip-off) .
>
> Don't forget to buy a mulitplayer adaptor to play four player games.
> (Another Sony rip-off)

True, but you can upgrade to 8 players by plugging in 2 PS2 multi-taps. Can't do that on GC or XBox!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.