GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube not doing too well...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Taken from C&VG.com:

Ready for this? Sure, we've thrown more numbers at you in the last few days than a conference of mathematicians discussing the latest quantum giga-flux theory, but we've got another batch for you - perhaps the most visually shocking of the lot.
Australia is the setting - sun-kissed home of natural beauty and natural home of sun-kissed beauties - and the Christmas sales figures for the big three consoles are in.

No surprise at the top, with PS2 securing around 84,477 sales during the last three weeks of December. Microsoft came second, with the Xbox finding its way into a decent 45,939 tinsel-draped homes.

And then there's Nintendo. Ah, Nintendo! We love you, we really do. A fine machine with some of the most creative and downright playable games on the planet. Home of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox and, of course, Mario. How did the GameCube sell during the Christmas period in the land they call Oz?

5,846. Five thousand, eight hundred and forty six. Xbox sold over forty-five thousand. GameCube failed to break six. Barely 3% of the overall market share. Hum.

Reasons? Well, if we're to believe EA's Bob Katz, Nintendo's "disappointing reluctance to compete" was behind the shortfall. Katz's comment may also explain why EA started to reduce the price of its games towards the end of last year - simply not enough numbers to do good business.

Will 2003 prove any different? Regional analysts seem to think not, but we can only wait and see.
- - - - - - - - -

Oh dear...
Wed 15/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Taken from C&VG.com:

Ready for this? Sure, we've thrown more numbers at you in the last few days than a conference of mathematicians discussing the latest quantum giga-flux theory, but we've got another batch for you - perhaps the most visually shocking of the lot.
Australia is the setting - sun-kissed home of natural beauty and natural home of sun-kissed beauties - and the Christmas sales figures for the big three consoles are in.

No surprise at the top, with PS2 securing around 84,477 sales during the last three weeks of December. Microsoft came second, with the Xbox finding its way into a decent 45,939 tinsel-draped homes.

And then there's Nintendo. Ah, Nintendo! We love you, we really do. A fine machine with some of the most creative and downright playable games on the planet. Home of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox and, of course, Mario. How did the GameCube sell during the Christmas period in the land they call Oz?

5,846. Five thousand, eight hundred and forty six. Xbox sold over forty-five thousand. GameCube failed to break six. Barely 3% of the overall market share. Hum.

Reasons? Well, if we're to believe EA's Bob Katz, Nintendo's "disappointing reluctance to compete" was behind the shortfall. Katz's comment may also explain why EA started to reduce the price of its games towards the end of last year - simply not enough numbers to do good business.

Will 2003 prove any different? Regional analysts seem to think not, but we can only wait and see.
- - - - - - - - -

Oh dear...
Wed 15/01/03 at 11:57
Regular
about an hour ago i was listening to a group of boys and they were saying for christmas they all got a PS2, they said they wantted a GC or a XBOX, but there parents got them PS2s cause it was advertised more :S

they all said in a few months they will sell it and get another console.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:03
Regular
""
The coming of Metroid Prime will change that and plus nintendo need more adverts! I'll always be tickled Ninty anyway. So there's one person on their side. Why is europe the only area that doesn't love the quality of Gamecube games instead of the graphics of X-box games?
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well Australia is a nation of criminals.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:06
Regular
""
Gamecube will pull through!
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:07
Regular
""
ninty has always ruled the handheld world though... I mean the neo-geo and the wonder swan didn't do much to their sales!

CYA'LL later!

WW
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:23
Regular
Who cares?

UK sales are really no big whoop. In a country where 'The Cheeky Girls' can enter the charts at number 2, you don't expect the buying public to have any intrest in Nintendo games. I don't think innovative and original are part of their vocabulary.

Check out the Yapanease sales figures and American sales figures and you will see why the UK figures matter no one iota.

Oh and Gamecube still sold more in 2002 overall than the Xbox did.

Please note I have no problem with the Xbox doing well, I think it's a good little console and Microsoft have surpasses expectations with their 2003 line-up.

PS2 still selling so well though is a mystery too me.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Weird wonder wrote:
> The coming of Metroid Prime will change that

How much difference do you honestly believe one game will make?

> and plus nintendo need more adverts!

Nintendo have to take their heads out of the sand. You cannot sell simply on games alone. You need support, you need marketing, you need good customer service, reliable release dates and so much more. Nintendo ignores this, focusing only on the games. This is why Nintendo should not be producing games consoles. I wouldn't mind betting that the next generation will see no new console from Nintendo.

> I'll always be tickled Ninty anyway. So there's one
> person on their side.

A lot of people think like that, or used to think like that. Nintendo though, is slowly but surely losing it's fan-base to Microsoft and Sony. Blind loyalty will only carry you so far.

> Why is europe the only area that doesn't love
> the quality of Gamecube games instead of the graphics of X-box games?

As well as Australia, you mean? :)

A little ignorant to try to argue that Gamcube = gameply and XBox = graphics, too. The GC games are of an equal graphical standard in most cases, and there are plenty of XBoz games which have depth of appeal.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:25
Regular
Just realised these are the Australian figures. Aussies gave us Neighbours and Jason Donavon...I really don't care what they think.
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:42
Regular
Dare I say it,- maybe the games on GC are not very good. Afterall, many people say it's the games that make or break a console - not the format. I still think the lack of DVD is a MAJOR factor.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.