GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tony, Ali, Loki, Bob, please read"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
Today we found out that what seems like 3/4's of all topics on Fog Prime have been deleted. This includes the stories, part of the legacy of these forums. It doesn't include the World's Longest Thread.

I've always been secretly dismayed at the seemingly small amount of attention laid on the stories by Special Reserve. I understand that this was indeed an accident, but it doesn't just stop there. While the World's Longest Thread is recognised as a part of Fog History, with a small section written about it on the front page, the stories have always gone with what seems like little support or attention from yourselves. While people are told they can spam freely in the Longest Thread, there is no warning, after so much obvious trouble we have with it, that people should not disturb the stories.

I don't feel I'm going over the top here. If you needed space, why not delete half of Fog Chat? Topics envolving what someone did last night, or how irritating it is to walk into a door. It's... beyond me, how you can put these topics above those that have been written through mind and heart, that the writers on these forums have real emotions towards. Yes, not just the stories, you've gone and deleted a few years of our gaming and writing history.

And personally, the stories mean a lot to me, considering that's what was keeping me alive at one point. The thought of you simply deleting our hard work is disgusting, in the least. I've just spent nearly a year animating the first one. This also has had little attention put on it, which I felt perhaps you would have been interested in also.

I plead to you, surely there are backups of what has been deleted? Is it at all possible that these lost topics can be restored?

If anyone feels they need to add to what I've written, please do so. I'm angry. Sorry.
Sat 26/01/02 at 17:19
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ali@specialreserve wrote:

But, the task was carried out by a heartless deletion
> program who felt no compassion for 'stories', it just did what it was told. To
> that extent, maybe we should have saved the stories but we figured if you
> weren't replying to topics after a month or so you weren't bothered about
> them.

I, alike many, always went back through the pages to read, or catch up on old topics, I didn't ever reply and 'pop' them as it would have annoyed the members (as it did when that happened a few months back). They were still in use. As Grix says, you know I love you, but please let me save some of the old topics.
Sat 26/01/02 at 17:19
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ali@specialreserve wrote:

But, the task was carried out by a heartless deletion
> program who felt no compassion for 'stories', it just did what it was told. To
> that extent, maybe we should have saved the stories but we figured if you
> weren't replying to topics after a month or so you weren't bothered about
> them.

I, alike many, always went back through the pages to read, or catch up on old topics, I didn't ever reply and 'pop' them as it would have annoyed the members (as it did when that happened a few months back). They were still in use. As Grix says, you know I love you, but please let me save some of the old topics.
Sat 26/01/02 at 17:09
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm trying to understand why you lot are taking it so seriously... like somebody has died. Get a real problem.
Sat 26/01/02 at 17:02
The topics weren't deleted because of the content (some of you were saying 'why didn't you just delete the crappy ones?), the ones that were deleted were topics that hadn't been replied to over a certain amount of days (I forget how many but it's a fair amount). By this logic, it's fair to say that these topics aren't being used anymore.

But, the task was carried out by a heartless deletion program who felt no compassion for 'stories', it just did what it was told. To that extent, maybe we should have saved the stories but we figured if you weren't replying to topics after a month or so you weren't bothered about them.

Still, they should be on back-up. Not sure though, don't take that as gospel.
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:49
Regular
Thanks guys, sorry if I sounded like a beatch back then. Knew you would help. I also knew this was an accident, and I respect that completely.

Ok, I'll just give the two sides how I see it, just so you know.

1) Us, the stories writers, the Foggers. We wrote a load of stuff that we enjoyed writing, some of it was very emotional and quite important to what we are. It was deleted, and we were only told basically "for space". No offense to any of you guys, you know I love you, but it was just so kinda insignificant. It's like saying my dogs died and replying "Oh, has it?".

2) You lot, Special Reserve. The forums are getting to such a state that they're slowing down and crashing a hell of a lot, and this is obviously because of the huge amount of topics on the database. So, in order to help people on the forums, it's a good idea to delete some of the older posts and topics to free up space and speed. I'm fine with that, don't worry. I don't think anyone would even dare say you have to go out and purchase new servers, especially after the amount of stuff you do for us every single damn day.

I am SO relieved you've got them on backup. Don't really worry about getting them up as soon as possible, like you said. As long as they're still alive somewhere, I think we're all happy.

But, once again, you know I love you, there WERE some mistakes made here. The choice of what should be deleted was a bit odd, I still do feel.

The Future Of Gaming Chat Forum has 6488 topics, and 138514 posts. You delete three quarters of these, and not only would nobody notice, but nobody would care either. Ask anyone on that forum if they mind that you delete their topics about the best way to hit people with sticks, I'm sure they wouldn't mind too much. And if they do, sod 'em. :0)

The Future of Gaming Prime, from the front page, has 6951 topics and 72482 posts. I'm not sure if this is still counting the deleted ones. If it is, then surely it would made just as much sense to remove the chat ones?

I'm really trying not to get at you here... Christ, it was just a real bad lack of communication. I can see why, from today's view, that you would think that the Prime forum is basically dead, and nobody really uses it. But trust me, we do. FOG Prime is our lifethread, the whole reason why we came, and still come here. Maybe it's not so important to the legions of newbies now, but to a whole lot of us, it is.

And remember, you're the ones that created all of this. We love and always will love what you've done here. But because what you've done for us matters so much to us, it really does hurt when you go and change things.
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ali, for me, and many others, it wasn't just the stories that meant a lot. It was also the topics and original works that came from the heart.

I can definetely see it from your point of view, however, it would have been nice for you guys to let us know that they were being deleted. I would have gone and saved a few to disk. Maybe thats the answer. Restore all the topics for about seven hours, people can then go and save the ones they want.... I have my links and topic numbers infront of me, I just need them to be available.

*gets on knees*

'Please?'
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:32
As far as I'm aware, the stories were not deleted on purpose. It's more likely they were accidentally removed due to space constraints. While we understand you enjoy writing stories and the like on the forums, space has become a major issue recently and measures have been made to make the site load faster and not be so clogged up - this included removing posts that weren't replied to for a certain amount of time (we figured this was a sensible way to do things). It was for your benefit that the old posts were removed, the site was getting slower and slower and s l o w e r.

However, I'm sure the stories are backed up (we do regular back-ups so they'll be banging around somewhere) and we'll try and restore them when we have time.

Please try and see this from a professional point of view - the SR network is massive and these chat forums are but a small part of what we do. Bandwidth and loading times are important for the whole site and the measures we took were essential for the whole site. If you have any further questions/complaints/whatever, feel free to vent your spleen on the forums and we'll mop it up.

I'll get our techy bod on the case right away, so relax. They ain't gone for good.
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:18
You posted this slightly late on a Friday night Grix, so you can't really expect an answer just yet. I'd tell you if I knew, but I don't, so sorry I can't be of help.
I will, however, send a link to this thread to someone who does know, to make sure they see it; so you'll probably get a reply Monday or sometime next week (no promises mind).
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Just explain to me what has actually been deleted...

If it's topics of stories that haven't been replied to for a few months (as I gather from this topic), then I really don't care to be honest.

How often do people go back and read such topics? I've been here since almost the beginning- but I've never been back through the topics.

It's not like they are part of our "history" in the sense that their destruction has somehow lost part our inheritance or something... all they were doing was taking up server space.

If, however, I have completely misunderstood what topics have been deleted please tell me.

Sonic
Sat 26/01/02 at 14:42
Regular
Still waiting for an answer to this.

1) Are the forums backed up? I'm pretty sure they were... it doesn't matter if not recently, because they're all old topics anyway.

2) Is there anyway that they can be restored from that? Please?

3) What do you want us to do to make you restore them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.