GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tony, Ali, Loki, Bob, please read"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
Today we found out that what seems like 3/4's of all topics on Fog Prime have been deleted. This includes the stories, part of the legacy of these forums. It doesn't include the World's Longest Thread.

I've always been secretly dismayed at the seemingly small amount of attention laid on the stories by Special Reserve. I understand that this was indeed an accident, but it doesn't just stop there. While the World's Longest Thread is recognised as a part of Fog History, with a small section written about it on the front page, the stories have always gone with what seems like little support or attention from yourselves. While people are told they can spam freely in the Longest Thread, there is no warning, after so much obvious trouble we have with it, that people should not disturb the stories.

I don't feel I'm going over the top here. If you needed space, why not delete half of Fog Chat? Topics envolving what someone did last night, or how irritating it is to walk into a door. It's... beyond me, how you can put these topics above those that have been written through mind and heart, that the writers on these forums have real emotions towards. Yes, not just the stories, you've gone and deleted a few years of our gaming and writing history.

And personally, the stories mean a lot to me, considering that's what was keeping me alive at one point. The thought of you simply deleting our hard work is disgusting, in the least. I've just spent nearly a year animating the first one. This also has had little attention put on it, which I felt perhaps you would have been interested in also.

I plead to you, surely there are backups of what has been deleted? Is it at all possible that these lost topics can be restored?

If anyone feels they need to add to what I've written, please do so. I'm angry. Sorry.
Sat 26/01/02 at 22:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Wow... I seem to have missed lots of stuff that's gone on in these
> forums...

Maybe it was while I was away on my trek to find gaming
> Nirvana?

Sonic

Wow ive never noticed youve been here so long.
Sat 26/01/02 at 22:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Wow... I seem to have missed lots of stuff that's gone on in these forums...

Maybe it was while I was away on my trek to find gaming Nirvana?

Sonic
Sat 26/01/02 at 21:37
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ali@specialreserve wrote:
Not sure though, don't take that as
> gospel.

Most people don't believe the gospel anyway.

Still, it's good that you think you have back up, because a lot of emotion went into some of our posts. Remember when myself, Grix, and er-no all posted sad stories on Prime?? I've never told anyone else about that event, so I'm kind of hoping you have that on back up somewhere.

Although, as long as you've got the stories, that's all that matters.
Sat 26/01/02 at 20:38
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Right.

Here's what I think we should do.

Make a new Story.

I know it sounds heartless, but we could write a tragedy story about the 7 Chronicles (Stories) That were burnt (deleted) and how everything went sour.

Imagine how many sub-plots we could have... imagnine how many times Sniper can die!

I know it won't replace the other stories, but nothing can bring them back.

Like the Death of others - you can't stop it, only be made stonger by it.

The only way to get over it, is to move on.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
I loved the fact that I could go back in the forums to well before the tme I was here, to see what it was like back then.

I Loved the fact that I could go back to when I was here, and read what I had written, and often laugh at myself for being so naïve in my predictions and such.

I loved the fact that everything here seemed to be preserved.

I loved the fact that we are a community, sort of an online village.

And I simply love the fact that I can get away from troubles, from school and basically away from myself, log on as RastaBillySkank and just talk about things that I love. Music, games, films on occassion... It was amazing to find these forums and the fact that some of it's history has been wiped was very... annoying and frustrating.

We have our little village, our community here just like we do in "real life" from the social places (FOG Chat, the MSN side of things) to our village idiots. These forums are a great place and the best site I've ever come across on the Net, so to see parts of it's history deleted, especially the stories (even though I didn't take part in them , I knew how much they meant to other members and always enjoyed reading them) was a big blow.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
What a complete, insensitive, gimp. Get out.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:43
"You love us!"
Hello,

nothing to say on this topic - not bothered.

Just wanted to say, Ali, if you're reading this msg, thanks for the complement on the review - it was cool.

Should have msg'd you back sooner i guess.

Nice one mate
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:40
Regular
And I didn't know about that either, er-no. I'm sorry, thats all I can say.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:39
Regular
Grix, I didn't know about that. Goddamn, that's harsh. Well done on getting through it.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
SonicRav, here is my note form for it:

1) I lose three members of direct family.

2) Break down into a depression.

3) Try to find a way out.

4) Write about what has happened, saying that the man I respect most in the world is not perfect, and who is?

5) My health gets worse, but my battling progresses as I lose another family member. I then throw myself from a cliff, only to live.

6) Slowly recover. Write topics that make me cry when writting, knowing that they are safe on these forums. Also with the intelligence that clever people (eg Grix) will deconstruct them for their true meaning.

7) It gets deleted.

Most of the topics I wrote and read had meaning, they shouldn't have been deleted without chance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.