GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tony, Ali, Loki, Bob, please read"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
Today we found out that what seems like 3/4's of all topics on Fog Prime have been deleted. This includes the stories, part of the legacy of these forums. It doesn't include the World's Longest Thread.

I've always been secretly dismayed at the seemingly small amount of attention laid on the stories by Special Reserve. I understand that this was indeed an accident, but it doesn't just stop there. While the World's Longest Thread is recognised as a part of Fog History, with a small section written about it on the front page, the stories have always gone with what seems like little support or attention from yourselves. While people are told they can spam freely in the Longest Thread, there is no warning, after so much obvious trouble we have with it, that people should not disturb the stories.

I don't feel I'm going over the top here. If you needed space, why not delete half of Fog Chat? Topics envolving what someone did last night, or how irritating it is to walk into a door. It's... beyond me, how you can put these topics above those that have been written through mind and heart, that the writers on these forums have real emotions towards. Yes, not just the stories, you've gone and deleted a few years of our gaming and writing history.

And personally, the stories mean a lot to me, considering that's what was keeping me alive at one point. The thought of you simply deleting our hard work is disgusting, in the least. I've just spent nearly a year animating the first one. This also has had little attention put on it, which I felt perhaps you would have been interested in also.

I plead to you, surely there are backups of what has been deleted? Is it at all possible that these lost topics can be restored?

If anyone feels they need to add to what I've written, please do so. I'm angry. Sorry.
Fri 25/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
Today we found out that what seems like 3/4's of all topics on Fog Prime have been deleted. This includes the stories, part of the legacy of these forums. It doesn't include the World's Longest Thread.

I've always been secretly dismayed at the seemingly small amount of attention laid on the stories by Special Reserve. I understand that this was indeed an accident, but it doesn't just stop there. While the World's Longest Thread is recognised as a part of Fog History, with a small section written about it on the front page, the stories have always gone with what seems like little support or attention from yourselves. While people are told they can spam freely in the Longest Thread, there is no warning, after so much obvious trouble we have with it, that people should not disturb the stories.

I don't feel I'm going over the top here. If you needed space, why not delete half of Fog Chat? Topics envolving what someone did last night, or how irritating it is to walk into a door. It's... beyond me, how you can put these topics above those that have been written through mind and heart, that the writers on these forums have real emotions towards. Yes, not just the stories, you've gone and deleted a few years of our gaming and writing history.

And personally, the stories mean a lot to me, considering that's what was keeping me alive at one point. The thought of you simply deleting our hard work is disgusting, in the least. I've just spent nearly a year animating the first one. This also has had little attention put on it, which I felt perhaps you would have been interested in also.

I plead to you, surely there are backups of what has been deleted? Is it at all possible that these lost topics can be restored?

If anyone feels they need to add to what I've written, please do so. I'm angry. Sorry.
Fri 25/01/02 at 22:23
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I do think it's a bit unfair that so much of the history of the forum was deleted, without any warning to the rest of us. The stories in particular, recieved hours and hours of attention from quite a few of the posters here.

For me at least, a large part of the appeal of these forums has been the history here. The ability to see what topics we discussed back in the day, or what jokes we made. To be able to see how the forums evolved, and revisit some of the older topics. There was even quite some fuss last summer about the forums 'not being what they used to be'.

It seems now that you've deleted all traces of what the forums used to be.
Fri 25/01/02 at 22:28
"possibly impossible"
I agree completely with Grix. I wasn't even involved in the first story, and yet I feel that these works, whether you consider them to be art or something less desirable, have had a lot of hard work and feeling put into them. They've been commented on by many who have read them and I'm sure many people here who haven't had a chance would be glad to start reading them.

The strong feelings that Grix has for these works are justified and I feel that any effort to find a backup of the topics would also be justified and in the spirit of the forums. Perhaps they could be moved to the stories forum as this would generate the right audience.

The reaction to this accidental act is not an over-reaction by the stories creators, but a feeling that many, including those who were only spectators, share.

So I too ask you to try and find the stories and restore them.
Fri 25/01/02 at 23:43
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I too agree with you fully. Even though I havnt been posting on here as much as some of you I know how it must feel to lose so many posts that possibly were anot just posts, but also special memories for many of you. Since there is no better place to post long, thoughtful posts than here, I feel that it is a bit unfair how those posts have been deleted. I agree with Grix when he said that topics about people everyday sex life should be deleted.

This is the place that kinda created a reputation for the forums and is a perfect example to show people that this place is not a home to some spammers who use mobile text language and the like.

Just a few days ago I was flciking through all the posts that have been submitted on here and the other forums in the past year, and it was a great feeling to discover loads of them little "gems" that made the dark grey evenings passable...

I like every other person like a good story and I think something should be done if it is possible...Surely the stories and some major posts are stored in the database somewhere and could be retriebed somehow?
Sat 26/01/02 at 00:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
Surely not? The pages of this very forum gone. This forum I have respected for the last twelve months, come onto everyday reading and replying with full heart... and you delete them because of 'lack of space and slowdown'.

Its not right.

In every topic I read there was a meaning, a point to it. Although some were very rather 'meaningless', others had had so much effort put into them, its a terribly disgusting thing for you without warning to remove them.

Yes. I used to go back and read my topic, because some even made me cry, I remembered what I was feeling when I wrote them, and what situation I was in. I didn't write a topic about gaming being my way out for the novelty of people reading it. I wrote it because I knew I could reach out to people that weren't in my daily life, some could even understand...

If you had told us, with heavy bolded words at the top of the forum in red, that you would be deleting these topic. I would have taken hours and hours going to salvage my favorite/s. I can remember there being some from people like Grix and Ant that just were incredible reads that brought my mind to a complete halt.

Tony, Ali, Like, Bob and even Joe. You just took away the words I read that once became my heaven.

We made these topics for each other. You just took them from us. How does it feel, because I feel 'gutted'.
Sat 26/01/02 at 00:18
Regular
"everyone says it"
You have deleted what made us who 'we' are now.
All of it.
Sat 26/01/02 at 08:35
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
This is a sad, sad event.

Now, I know I haven't been on much lately, and hell, even my stats reflect me not being here to long, but this is not my first username. Those with good memories may rememeber me back when Gameaday began. I won't say any of MY topics will be greatly missed, but I can say that I feel some of me has been lost.

I have been on these forums for years, forging relationships, getting to know people, creating my own online persona - and you simply press a button and remove it all. I'm sure many of us would have spared a few gigabytes of our own personal space to keep the memories alive. But no, you take it away, with no warning, no chance for us to keep our heritage alive.

I am saddened by these events, as I know many others are. I don't want to go into the 'good old days' mood, but they were. When these forums were created, Everyone on here knew what they were talking about. Almost all topics were about gaming, and replies were interesting and fruitful. People knew each other nearly as well as their 'real' friends. Everyone liked, or at least tolerated everybody else.

Then along came loads of new people. They began to spam, to deprive us of our harmony, our online haven. A hierachy of Newbies, regulars and Notables caused seperation on the forums. I'm not saying that old friendships were lost, but new ones were harder to forge. The forums became overwhelmed. I will say that FoG chat was a good idea, it removed the spam from our 'prime' topics.

But then, you go and delete these topics? Not the newer ones that are wither spam, or topics that people read and enjoyed, but will never want to reflect on. Nooo, you delete our history. They are older so they have to go.

I can see it from SR financial point of view - out of all the newbies coming to the site, a lot will make purchases, it a marketing scheme. But some of us have been here years, this has been a place where we can express our views and make friends. Surely you have some sympathy to this, its not all about money and server space.

I think you should be ashamed.
Sat 26/01/02 at 09:10
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Maybe we should switch allegiance to Software First?

Maybe Not!

Hopefully someone will have back-ups of these stories...

You could try FM, but chances are he won't.

Weren't they all put on someones website... like er-no.com?

I'm sure we'll sort it out....

but if not...

Well.... it's a shame.

Game
Sat 26/01/02 at 09:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Now, while I don't support what SR did, you have to see it from their point of view.

They've deleted the topics that were replied to the least over the past however long.

EVERYONE could say that EVERY topic meant a lot to them, but SR have to cut the line somewhere - granted, I would probably have saved the stories, but they might not think like that... and any new person to the e-team might not know of the heritage that the stories make up.

I understand what they've done. And I know why... they have a valid reason.

Are they in the Stories topic?
Sat 26/01/02 at 09:39
Regular
"I like cheese"
The Game wrote:
Are they in the
> Stories topic?

From what I know, most of them are.

And I agree with Game's last post, they had to delete some posts. Maybe not the ones from FOG Prime, but I know why they did it, and didn't Bob or someone say that they didn't actually check the posts they deleted??

In fact, I don't know. I don't know whether to feel angry at SR, whether I shouldn't because we've all got the stories in other places anywhere, or maybe even sorry for them for the amount of stick they're gonna get for 1 mistake.

I'm sorry to everyone who's written pages about this, but I can't think of anything to say at this current time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.