GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Death"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 19:58
Regular
Although, when thinking of death images of the Grim Reaper, Satan or possibly other disturbing images come to mind, what we have to come to terms with is the real meaning behind it all.

Yesterday, someone from my school died. Someone only 14 years old. With their whole lives in front of them. Even after such events as September 11th, only does the dark reality of it all set in once something becomes more personal.

Not knowing the person, never even spoken to her, but somehow, the experience is somewhat more realistic. It's hard to imagine the result of what her friends are feeling right now, or the people like myself, who never made the attempt to get to know her.

We see the image of death, we gather the information of death from a young age and learn to fear it. We see it in films and might havea chuckle about it, but the reality is something that none of us can prepare ourselves for. There are those in these times, who give their support to the "victims" of this tradegy, there are those just stand by and watch from distance. Then there are those who find it humerous to make sick jokes about the events.

None of us are perfect, most of us are far from it, but we can change. Just trying to imagine, you are never going to see this person, you love, ever again becomes more of a distant dream, blurred up by our perspective in which everything is perfect. Think, how her friends felt, never knowing that this time, will be the last time, in which they say goodbye. Can you think of anything worse? What if you could take the change to know your death, what if you could prevent yourself from this, would you take it?

I think really, this has given me the chance to see what really is important in life. Thinking, when I die, what will there be left to say about me? What achievements will I have achieved in this life? What will I leave behind? What can people learn from me?
Wed 23/01/02 at 19:58
Regular
"Wasting away"
Although, when thinking of death images of the Grim Reaper, Satan or possibly other disturbing images come to mind, what we have to come to terms with is the real meaning behind it all.

Yesterday, someone from my school died. Someone only 14 years old. With their whole lives in front of them. Even after such events as September 11th, only does the dark reality of it all set in once something becomes more personal.

Not knowing the person, never even spoken to her, but somehow, the experience is somewhat more realistic. It's hard to imagine the result of what her friends are feeling right now, or the people like myself, who never made the attempt to get to know her.

We see the image of death, we gather the information of death from a young age and learn to fear it. We see it in films and might havea chuckle about it, but the reality is something that none of us can prepare ourselves for. There are those in these times, who give their support to the "victims" of this tradegy, there are those just stand by and watch from distance. Then there are those who find it humerous to make sick jokes about the events.

None of us are perfect, most of us are far from it, but we can change. Just trying to imagine, you are never going to see this person, you love, ever again becomes more of a distant dream, blurred up by our perspective in which everything is perfect. Think, how her friends felt, never knowing that this time, will be the last time, in which they say goodbye. Can you think of anything worse? What if you could take the change to know your death, what if you could prevent yourself from this, would you take it?

I think really, this has given me the chance to see what really is important in life. Thinking, when I die, what will there be left to say about me? What achievements will I have achieved in this life? What will I leave behind? What can people learn from me?
Wed 23/01/02 at 20:05
Regular
""It's me u want""
Ah thats so sad :-( sorry to here.
But no offense or anything but its probably better that you never made an attempt to know her. Because if you had got really friendly then it would of been even worse for you.
Wed 23/01/02 at 20:29
Regular
"smile, it's free"
A year or two ago, lying awake at night, I allowed my mind to wander. It was probably the first time I'd ever thought seriously about death. Prior to that, I'd simply tried not to think of it.

To cut a long story short, I scared myself senseless. I don't really believe in any afterlife, and couldn't handle the idea of not existing.

If death is the end, what is the point in being remembered? What's the point in achieving anything? What's the point in life at all, if the end result is your not existing?

Those were the thoughts running through my head.

And now, I try not to let myself think to deeply about death any more.
Wed 23/01/02 at 21:28
Regular
"Wasting away"
VenomByte wrote:
A year or two ago, lying awake at night, I allowed my mind to wander. It was probably the first time I'd ever thought seriously about death. Prior to that, I'd simply tried not to think of it.

I think, sometimes it's best that we don't. Living for a lost cause. Do we really have a purpose. It's when you begin to look around, and see beyond the skin and begin to treat people based on who they are and not what they are.

To cut a long story short, I scared myself senseless. I don't really believe in any afterlife, and couldn't handle the idea of not existing.

You can't think of death. Like being in a sleep, yet you are unable to think, or have any motion. Can you imagine darkness? Is this why people believe in God, and that he will take them to Heaven?

If death is the end, what is the point in being
remembered? What's the point in achieving anything? What's the point in life at all, if the end result is your not existing?

So many questions, such little time to answer them. We try to achieve things in order to progess, but if we're not around then why bother achieving them? That thought might seem a little selfish, but it is indeed true.
Wed 23/01/02 at 21:36
some1 in 3rd year at my school died,his funeral was on monday.I never knew him but is still freaks me out a bit
Wed 23/01/02 at 22:08
Regular
"Wasting away"
I can't help, stop thinking about what would have happened if that was someone more close. The thought, somewhat hard to imagine, let alone brings tears to my eyes.
Wed 23/01/02 at 22:26
Regular
Yep my best friend died when i was young... that hurt.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:55
Regular
Yeah, my only true friend died when I was young too. I've made a lot more since then, thankfully.

Death, while it shouldn't be celebrated, should at least be acknowledged. I work myself harder everyday at the things I need to do, because I now know that in order to actually get somewhere in life, you can't just think about it, you've got to do something.

I pay little attention to my school work now, and spend more time practising my 3D design skills, and stuff like that. I cannot see how my school work is furthering me, only hindering me from becoming a better 3D artist.

The choice then was laid out before me in my mind. Either I dedicate myself to school, give myself an open choice, so I can go do... basically anything. Or I set my route now, I spend less time with my school work, and start to work harder and longer on the things I enjoy and want to do for the rest of my life.

So I've basically married game design. While I still attend school, to at least put my parents minds at rest, I do little school work, such as maths and so on, and spend more time designing, usually away from others. Not saying I'm antisocial, just I prefer to design with only my thoughts as company.

I certainly do not believe life is about death. It's a large part of it, definitely, and our lives do have to mould around it, but to ignore it completely would ruin our lives altogether.

And if you have no idea what to do with your life... don't worry, it'll turn up one day. It might help if you go looking, though.
Thu 24/01/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
I was introduced to death at a young age, as I've always been into watching the news on TV (yes, I sat there watching it when I was 5) and death was always on there, so I was always reminded of it. I used to have sleepless nights about death, but I don't anymore.

I've never had to deal with death in my family, as none of my relatives have died in my lifetime, but there will come a time in the next five years or so where I WILL have to come to terms with it, and I don't think I'm ready for it, frankly.

On another note, someone in Year 11 died last year of a disease that he and his sister both "had", but she is three years younger. I think she only has three or four years left to live unfortunately, but she's getting married in three. Wierd!

MOW
Thu 24/01/02 at 21:15
I just remeberd my gran died a year or 2 ago because or her smokeing or somethin.I was tough bu i got over it and im ok now.Scince then ive had a better apreceation of life and more understanding of death.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.