GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Boot disc"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/01/03 at 22:50
Regular
Hi,

I downloaded a boot disc for PS2 today but have no Idea how it's supposed to work or even if it works.....any Ideas anyone?

Thanx
Hayl
Fri 31/01/03 at 14:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I didn't. Downloading it won't actually do you any good unless you have a DVD burner. There's 2 discs required, one for CD games and one for DVD games.

I got the set from www.psxservices.co.uk for £20.

It's not as simple as a Dreamcast boot disc either, you need to swap the discs without pressing eject. You can do that with a flip-top case, a plug-and-play chip (if your PS2 is new enough) or like I did it - I won't say how in case some kid reads it wrong and goes home and breaks their PS2 :-)
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Darwock, I was looking on ps2case.com, seem cheap enough etc but shame the case and discs come from the States.
Can you email me and let me know what you did to play imports.
[email protected]

ta
Wed 26/02/03 at 17:13
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Darwock, don't worry about the email, found a UK supplier

http://www.console-direct.co.uk/combo.htm#

£40 for top cover and disc, I will do a bit of research and maybe order one tomorrow.

Have you had any problems ?

cheers
Wed 26/02/03 at 18:16
£40 for both? Oh, damn...

I just spend £18 on the disc and £35 for the flip top (bought separately); installation is simple(ish), and the lid should fit perfectly over the disc slot once complete. I can't comment on import games at the moment, as I'm still waiting for my copy of FFX International.
Wed 26/02/03 at 18:40
"period drama"
You don't ruin anything putting on the flip-top do you?
And you can replace the original case can you?

Hmmm .....
May do it.
Wed 26/02/03 at 19:45
Well, the only thing I miss is that I won't be able to press the open tray button again. Aw.
Thu 27/02/03 at 10:31
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yes you will! The eject button still works, you just have a choice now...

Fitting the case really is simple, but two potential mistakes you could make are

1: trying to pull the top case off completely instead of folding it over (it's connected by a wire)

2: putting the magnetic disc clamp in the lid upside down (exposed magnet should be at the top)

Just watch out for these and you'll have no trouble.
Thu 27/02/03 at 10:39
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
P.S. I haven't had any problems, but I would also say you should never open the flip top at any time unless you know for a fact the disc isn't spinning (i.e. PS2 is switched off or the swap disc is asking you to change discs). Cos when you do the disc is no longer clamped, so it's not secure - if it's spinning it might wobble and scratch your lens. Or fly out at high speed and decapitate you.
Thu 27/02/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
what sites do you use for buying imported games ? I have seen a few listed on the Nintendo forum (importmadness, dvdboxoffice etc) any others ?

Ta
Thu 27/02/03 at 11:16
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
On a regular basis, I use www.next-gen.co.uk - they are great. The guy Steve that works there is really helpful if you're looking for something specific.

But if you search around you sometimes can find special deals - like that guy on eBay who sells FFX:I dirt cheap in comparison to most import sites (which sell it for $80 or so!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.