GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why NOM sucks......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 16:43
Regular
A) No Zelda review, jsuit a rubbishy 'preplay'.

and B) The star letter simply stated how good 4way multiplayer is.

Well done.

*claps slowly*

At least I'd have a chance of winning summat though......
Fri 31/01/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Dark Mark™ wrote:
> Because they have to promote Nintendo's games in an attempt to keep
> sales higher. It's the same with official magazines for anything...
> which is why I tend to avoid them.

Agreed - have never really believed these magazines have any other reason for their average score across the board philosophy... I mean the last Nom I read (had zelda on the cover with the preplay) had an average score for all the games of 7/10. One game got slammed - but surprise surprise, it wasn't a first or even a second party game....They have a Budget and where does that come from.....?

>
> NOM aren't biased - just leniant. For example, they don't just give
> Nintendo games high scores - anything can get a freak score. Usually
> though, they actually tend to agree with NGC's scores.

Umm well - herein is the reason we all feel like there is a bad taste left in the mouth after reading an official magazine. Come on chaps - when we are forking out upwards of £40 for a title after waiting 6 months for it freakin leniancy on the score IS NOT what we want...

>
> Also, if they were biased - would they have quotes in their magazine
> saying things such as 'Maybe it's time to buy an X-Box', or would they
> have Doshin The Giant in their games bin?

An exception to the rule - and probably an effort to remove their percieved bias. I remeber a review in PC Gamer, about 1996, when Magic Carpet's (fantastic - oh the memories - fly my carpet, fly!!!) ahem, sequel, Magic Carpet 2 recieved an astonishingly bad review. Against the grain of every magazine on the shelf. It was laid out well, identified the shortcomings and even made the legendary Bullfrog sit up and pay attention -heck their PR Managwer wrote to PCG asking what the hell was going on and PCG published the letter! But they stuck to their guns - credit to them. Magazines are about identifying with the writers and editors, being comfortable with their opinions. In this case I identified with PCG becuase I realised they had that all important spice - an OPINION that was not industry influenced. This was finely balanced with objectivity but hey, who the f$%£ approaches a game objectively in todays media saturated environment?

And guess what - I had a go at Magic Carpet 2 and it wasn't too bad. But I still respect the reviewer who had the guts to say why HE didn't like the game, clearly and concisely.
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:09
Regular
dont know if anyone has discussed this or not.

but arnt the NOM the only magazine likely to get demos cds?

cause i heard that once before and i know they are trying to get them.
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> It told me more about
> the Capcom 5, and actually said what the games would be like.

How could it say things that only Capcom knows?
It's just conjecture and guesswork.
No one knows how PN03 or Killer 7 will play, because so one has seen any in game footage or played the game at all.
CUBE makes guesses sound like fact, in their previews, and reviews, especially for Zelda, and that's not what you want from a magazine.
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Marmighty man"
NGC rules. Very very funny, imports sections, previews, reviews, mail bag, great tips and they dont waste half the magazine saying how bad other consoles r. Plus(!) u get a cool dvd with game footage on it every so often.
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You realise every issue of G-Force comes with a free DVD.
Even though it is absolute rubbish.
Still, a DVD.
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Give me some money"
NOM is good but not as good as NGC
Fri 31/01/03 at 20:56
Regular
Delorentis wrote:
> Agreed - have never really believed these magazines have any other
> reason for their average score across the board philosophy... I mean
> the last Nom I read (had zelda on the cover with the preplay) had an
> average score for all the games of 7/10.

What? Their average is 6/10!

> Come on chaps -
> when we are forking out upwards of £40 for a title after waiting
> 6 months for it freakin leniancy on the score IS NOT what we want...

Well, as long as they're consistantly leniant, it's not a problem.
Fri 31/01/03 at 21:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yes it is.

Edge's 10/10 scheme is far better, as any game that actualy gets 10/10 really is superb (except the ever over-rated Halo) and their 9/10s are nowhere as liberal as NOMs. Even 8/10 is a fantastic Edge score, whereas 7/10 and 8/10 is the score for any game that might have some decent bits in it in NOM.

I agree with the other point. Leniency just means that games are over-rated. They should really say WHAT THEY THINK. And ignore facts like 'its from Nintendo' or 'its part of the iullustrious series of....'

And the most stupid thing.

Something about Dead To Rights or some such game.

'Whats the storyline then?'
'Well, if the US version is anything to go by...' - THEY'RE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THE STORY FOR PAL RELEASE ARE THEY?!

:D
Fri 31/01/03 at 21:17
Regular
"Remember me?"
Cyclone wrote:
> And the most stupid thing.
>
> Something about Dead To Rights or some such game.
>
> 'Whats the storyline then?'
> 'Well, if the US version is anything to go by...' - THEY'RE NOT GOING
> TO CHANGE THE STORY FOR PAL RELEASE ARE THEY?!

Localisation? It's nearly always in the credits for games, nowadays.
Fri 31/01/03 at 21:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Localisation?!

So they change the whole story?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.