GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why NOM sucks......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 16:43
Regular
A) No Zelda review, jsuit a rubbishy 'preplay'.

and B) The star letter simply stated how good 4way multiplayer is.

Well done.

*claps slowly*

At least I'd have a chance of winning summat though......
Sun 02/02/03 at 00:31
Regular
Edge is a mixed bag, they take a unique perspective of the industry... some of their writers aren't that interesting either.

Gee I can talk.
Sat 01/02/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Sophisticated, different, grown-up, ahead of everyone. It's not. They
> should take a leaf out of the glorious book of GamesTM.

Horses for courses.

I've always found Edge's articles insightful and interesting. A particular favourite of mine being the Dance Games article that they ran a couple months ago. Their reviews can sometimes be a mixed bag for me, but they serve as a guide more than anything for me.
Sat 01/02/03 at 19:48
Regular
Sophisticated, different, grown-up, ahead of everyone. It's not. They should take a leaf out of the glorious book of GamesTM.
Sat 01/02/03 at 10:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Edge tries to be something its not?

Like what, may I ask.
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:19
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> MAverick listen here... NOM do overrate their games, NOM's news
> section is actually rather good, NOM's reviews are short, misses the
> imporatant information and tells the basics. NOM's previews are just
> endless streams of pictures.

I agree, though you should give them more credit for their previews. The reviews need to be worked on (detail, writing and scores) but they're definately not biased. That's what I want to stress.

> GAMES TM is a damn good magazine so I adivise you pick it up... Edge
> looks rather good and is more frequent than GAMES. GAMES TM is my
> replacement for CUBE as i've chucked that mag in.

Have to agree with you here - I own both issues of GamesTM and it's the best magazine I've ever read. Edge is boring and just tries to be something it's not. It's rubbish.
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:11
Regular
That was supposed to say 9.1 for Virtua Striker.
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:11
Regular
NOM to me don't make much sense. They criticise game but still give them high marks.

For example the latest issues Bounty hunter review criticises the shooting elements for being very samey and repetetive....now slap me if I'm wrong but that's the main part of game and they say it's samey and boring. But the game still comes out with a high mark.

Insane.

I buy NOM for something else to read when I'm done with NGC, Cube is terrible, there's so little text and some of their review scores are so bloody high it's just not worth the money.

9/1 for Virtua Striker? someone should get fired over that.
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:06
Regular
MAverick listen here... NOM do overrate their games, NOM's news section is actually rather good, NOM's reviews are short, misses the imporatant information and tells the basics. NOM's previews are just endless streams of pictures.

I don't HATE nom in the vein of I hate G-force but I like CUBE better and I've quickly gone off them.

NGC is far far better, their reviews are indepth and explain important segments with run throughs, they use extreme previews, they concentrate on being both funny, stresses clever points of view and can be both pesemistic and optimistic too. They look at the industry as a whole and NOM are always optimistic... they don't look at any problems. If you want to live in the mushroom filled orgy of Nintendo's home then by all means stick with NOM as everything is great and all games are great and everything nintendo do are great... me I'll stick with reality.

GAMES TM is a damn good magazine so I adivise you pick it up... Edge looks rather good and is more frequent than GAMES. GAMES TM is my replacement for CUBE as i've chucked that mag in.
Fri 31/01/03 at 22:39
Regular
Sacrosanct wrote:
> 1. heavy bias for what its official of(in NOM's case nintendo
> gamecube)

Heavy bias? Yeah right. Their average may be slightly high, but they're not biased. They have very few collaborations with Nintendo, aside from a lisence and besides, have you ever read NOM?

> 2. They're only writing it because theyve been liscenced to.
> Unofficial ones do it for the money but also because of understanding
> of said console

I think the Official Magazine has just as much understanding, thankyouverymuch. NOM's news section's always packed, and it's on the whole a very fun and easy to read magazine.
Fri 31/01/03 at 22:25
Maverick42 wrote:
> Most people don't even have compelling arguments over Nintendo
> Official Magazine

Maybe, but I do.

Dont get official magazines unless they give demo discs

Reason:

1. heavy bias for what its official of(in NOM's case nintendo gamecube)

2. They're only writing it because theyve been liscenced to. Unofficial ones do it for the money but also because of understanding of said console

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.