GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games-Are they a waste of our cash$$$"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
While in a games shop recently I realised the price of games was quite high, now Im not saying it’s the first time ive noticed but it’s the first time ive really thought about it. I remember games costing a max of 20 pound. Now you get games averaging out at around 40 maybe 5o pounds. But 40 quid for a game! Isn’t that UN reasonable! A hair dresser will have to cut 8 peoples hair to get that amount of money. A standard employer will have to work a full day for it! and the worst thing is most of it is the retailers add on`s. I mean they probably buy a 30 quid game for 5 pound. (Not sure about that).

But is it fair to say that they are all taking our money away. 40 quid for the game. 150 for the console or 100 for the graphics card (pc) then you get your extras like joystick etc.

Another annoying thing is that a month later the same game is half price in a sale then its clearance for £9.99!

I believe it’s fair to say they do steal our money but is it worth it?

Games costing 40 quid can give us hours of fun and pleasure; I mean ive wasted a good 20 hours on some games. And I do think my self that fun is one of the great enjoyments of life. But they are other ways of doing this.

For those that spend hours playing there play station 2 can you honestly say you don’t regret paying X amount for a game.

It really annoys me the price of games these days. When not even half is for the people that make it. Its all deleviry, profit add ons, vat.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you disagree with what I say then I will take no offence to what you say, after all its opinion.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:31
Regular
why aint i. ive posted quite a few long topics.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:33
Regular
not in ukforums by the way.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, lets say Sony sold GTA: Vice City for £30, and 10,000 people bought it. That would be £300,000 in sales, correct???

If they sold it for £20, for them to make the same amount of money they would need to sell 15,000 copies. 5000 more than if the price was £10.

Do you think a £10 price cut would encourage an extra 5000 to buy it though??? I think it's possible, but wouldn't want to bet money on it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:36
Regular
i do, not offending you or anything CJH, but i just think a price reduction would encourage more people to buy it.

If you say GTA 3 for £20 in one shop,and £30 in another shop,ud buy it for 20 am i corect. and thats how it goes. someone walks in to shop and wants a new game, he looks around. and see`s gta 3 for 20,he`d be more likly to buy it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:42
Regular
"smile, it's free"
cjh wrote:
> Well, lets say Sony sold GTA: Vice City for £30, and 10,000
> people bought it. That would be £300,000 in sales, correct???
>
> If they sold it for £20, for them to make the same amount of
> money they would need to sell 15,000 copies. 5000 more than if the
> price was £10.
>
> Do you think a £10 price cut would encourage an extra 5000 to
> buy it though??? I think it's possible, but wouldn't want to bet money
> on it.

Who do you want to cut the price?

The retailer? The distributor? The publisher? Sony?

Sony make £10 on licence fees on a £40 game (if I remember correctly), therefore if they make a £10 price cut, they'll make squat.

Alternatively, suppose they cut the price by £5. Will a game dropping from £40 to £35 double in sales? Not a chance. It won't even be close.

Less than £5 then? You'll find no discernable difference in sales at all. This is a proven fact.

So there's no point Sony cutting the price. In fact, the only people who could feasably cut the prices without losing money are the retailers. Nobody else has a big enough cut to be able to control the demand.

Even they can't cut prices *that* much...
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:42
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
True, but I thought we were talking about the developers and console manufactures prices, not from indevidual stores???
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:45
Regular
Some companies do it a couple of quid cheaper

But it aint really about cutting prices.

This could be true or not but the more people buying games the cheaper the games are. am i right?

Therefore do not enought people buy games.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:50
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Its all about the benjamins
no wait, I'm on the wrong continent for that phrase...

Its all about the Supply and Demand chain thing.

Whilst a drop in price may get extra sales, they would be taking a risk assuming that a certain number of extra sales would be achieved to make money on the game.
they would prefer to be safe in the knowlege that they have achieved their targets and then reduce the prices.

Dropping the price once the money has been made can possibly generate more interest in a game, possibly enough to generate enough interest for any sequels.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:53
Regular
They have to think about how popular it will be aswel dont they.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, yeah, but I think generally people know if they will or won't by a game because of it's quality, not it's price.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.