GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games-Are they a waste of our cash$$$"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
While in a games shop recently I realised the price of games was quite high, now Im not saying it’s the first time ive noticed but it’s the first time ive really thought about it. I remember games costing a max of 20 pound. Now you get games averaging out at around 40 maybe 5o pounds. But 40 quid for a game! Isn’t that UN reasonable! A hair dresser will have to cut 8 peoples hair to get that amount of money. A standard employer will have to work a full day for it! and the worst thing is most of it is the retailers add on`s. I mean they probably buy a 30 quid game for 5 pound. (Not sure about that).

But is it fair to say that they are all taking our money away. 40 quid for the game. 150 for the console or 100 for the graphics card (pc) then you get your extras like joystick etc.

Another annoying thing is that a month later the same game is half price in a sale then its clearance for £9.99!

I believe it’s fair to say they do steal our money but is it worth it?

Games costing 40 quid can give us hours of fun and pleasure; I mean ive wasted a good 20 hours on some games. And I do think my self that fun is one of the great enjoyments of life. But they are other ways of doing this.

For those that spend hours playing there play station 2 can you honestly say you don’t regret paying X amount for a game.

It really annoys me the price of games these days. When not even half is for the people that make it. Its all deleviry, profit add ons, vat.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you disagree with what I say then I will take no offence to what you say, after all its opinion.
Wed 05/03/03 at 07:35
Regular
thats a good point,selling them at high prices gives them its customers, if someone wants the game badly they will pay 40 for it. but its like an addiction aint it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:14
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Simon Says wrote:
> I have a friend who reckons that for value for money you should spend
> one hour playing a game for every pound (or what it two pounds) that
> you pay. It's an interesting idea to evaluate games.

I've thought of it as the price of the game should last at least the same amount of time that it takes for me to earn that amount of money, so if you're on £5 an hour at your job and buy a game for £40, if it lasts more than 8 hours, you've got a fair price.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:24
Regular
Rip off Britain again. It's just like the inflated prices of DVD's and CD's. We are paying more than we should for all this stuff. Is it any surprise that piracy is so common place.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:49
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
The thing is...game prices are CHEAPER than they used to be.

One thing I hate though are the price of GBA games - £30! I could get Prime for that much if I shopped around wisely.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:56
Regular
Game's used to be even more expensive. We are talking £60-£70 per game. Thanks to disc based games, prices have come down a lot since then. But even so, £40-£45 a game is more than it should be.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:59
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I would happily pay that much for a game as long as I knew I was getting enjoyment out of it.

On another note, I went into GAME the other day and saw their 2 for £30 offer for the GC. I thought to myself, "that's a pretty good deal" and I picked out Minority Report and Ace Golf. A day later I took Minority Report back. It was absolute tosh. I got Top Gun instead which is not too bad.
Wed 05/03/03 at 11:28
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Unbeliever wrote:
> One thing I hate though are the price of GBA games - £30! I
> could get Prime for that much if I shopped around wisely.

That's the price of carts. Manufacture costs of them are higher, and we pay it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 11:41
Regular
DISC, DISC, DISC ! (exclamation point)
Wed 05/03/03 at 11:49
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
One thing I hate though are the price of GBA games - £30! I
could get Prime for that much if I shopped around wisely.

That's the price of carts. Manufacture costs of them are higher, and
we pay it.

I have been trying to explain this to you Ninty Fanboys for months, but you carry on getting ripped off I mean lets face it you can buy Lord of the Rings Two Towers for the GBA for £29.99 or the PS2 version, there is no way a sensible gamer is gonna choose the GBA version the games just aren't worth the money.
Wed 05/03/03 at 16:08
Regular
uve got a good point there, GBA games cost as much as pc or ps2 games cost but they hardly have the same effect do they.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.