GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games-Are they a waste of our cash$$$"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
While in a games shop recently I realised the price of games was quite high, now Im not saying it’s the first time ive noticed but it’s the first time ive really thought about it. I remember games costing a max of 20 pound. Now you get games averaging out at around 40 maybe 5o pounds. But 40 quid for a game! Isn’t that UN reasonable! A hair dresser will have to cut 8 peoples hair to get that amount of money. A standard employer will have to work a full day for it! and the worst thing is most of it is the retailers add on`s. I mean they probably buy a 30 quid game for 5 pound. (Not sure about that).

But is it fair to say that they are all taking our money away. 40 quid for the game. 150 for the console or 100 for the graphics card (pc) then you get your extras like joystick etc.

Another annoying thing is that a month later the same game is half price in a sale then its clearance for £9.99!

I believe it’s fair to say they do steal our money but is it worth it?

Games costing 40 quid can give us hours of fun and pleasure; I mean ive wasted a good 20 hours on some games. And I do think my self that fun is one of the great enjoyments of life. But they are other ways of doing this.

For those that spend hours playing there play station 2 can you honestly say you don’t regret paying X amount for a game.

It really annoys me the price of games these days. When not even half is for the people that make it. Its all deleviry, profit add ons, vat.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you disagree with what I say then I will take no offence to what you say, after all its opinion.
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
While in a games shop recently I realised the price of games was quite high, now Im not saying it’s the first time ive noticed but it’s the first time ive really thought about it. I remember games costing a max of 20 pound. Now you get games averaging out at around 40 maybe 5o pounds. But 40 quid for a game! Isn’t that UN reasonable! A hair dresser will have to cut 8 peoples hair to get that amount of money. A standard employer will have to work a full day for it! and the worst thing is most of it is the retailers add on`s. I mean they probably buy a 30 quid game for 5 pound. (Not sure about that).

But is it fair to say that they are all taking our money away. 40 quid for the game. 150 for the console or 100 for the graphics card (pc) then you get your extras like joystick etc.

Another annoying thing is that a month later the same game is half price in a sale then its clearance for £9.99!

I believe it’s fair to say they do steal our money but is it worth it?

Games costing 40 quid can give us hours of fun and pleasure; I mean ive wasted a good 20 hours on some games. And I do think my self that fun is one of the great enjoyments of life. But they are other ways of doing this.

For those that spend hours playing there play station 2 can you honestly say you don’t regret paying X amount for a game.

It really annoys me the price of games these days. When not even half is for the people that make it. Its all deleviry, profit add ons, vat.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you disagree with what I say then I will take no offence to what you say, after all its opinion.
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:52
"For the horde!!!!"
there are many games that are cheaper nowadays.
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:55
Regular
but when a new game comes out most teenagers are nagging there mothers to buy them it, because all the kids at school have it.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:37
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I think I had a breakdown in what % of money from the sales of games goes where... I probably left it in pile of magazines back home.
Someone did a post on it somewhere.
from what I vaguely remember
17.5% goes on top of the game to the government
about 7 or 8 pounds goes to the console manufacturer
something like 15 quid to the retailer
and the rest to the publisher and developer.

(by now someones probably posted the right figures)
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:40
Regular
lol

Yeh,something like i wasnt sure the exact amount, but 15 quid to the retailer! thats too much! i mean they can easily run a shop of selling games for 5 profit cant they.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:42
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I don't think they get £15 of it, I think it's more like £6 or £7.

But, baring in mind that retail shops in town have higher overheads to pay than say a Mail Order firm who operates in a warehouse on a Trading Estate.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:48
Regular
yeh good point, i think sr are just nice people who dont like to charge that much for games, therefore they lower their own profit for there good customers.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:49
Regular
unlike pc world where its something like 20 pound for the game, PLUS retail profit of 100% =40 quid.lol
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:53
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
ahh, probably not 15 quid then.

games usually reduce in price once they sell enough to make the economies of scale so that they can reduce they cost of it.
-usually when the game has sold more than enough copies to make a profit, and then that passes a benefit onto the consumer.
hence the platinum and players choice ranges.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:57
Regular
"I ush!"
I have a friend who reckons that for value for money you should spend one hour playing a game for every pound (or what it two pounds) that you pay. It's an interesting idea to evaluate games.

I know that games are becoming more and more expensive to make, requiring more and more staff and more and more money, but if you really want someone to blame for the price of games I think that the finger really has to point at you, and me, and everyone else willing to shell out £40 for the latest and greatest releases. Demand dictates the price. If people wouldn't pay it, then they wouldn't charge it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.