GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games-Are they a waste of our cash$$$"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
While in a games shop recently I realised the price of games was quite high, now Im not saying it’s the first time ive noticed but it’s the first time ive really thought about it. I remember games costing a max of 20 pound. Now you get games averaging out at around 40 maybe 5o pounds. But 40 quid for a game! Isn’t that UN reasonable! A hair dresser will have to cut 8 peoples hair to get that amount of money. A standard employer will have to work a full day for it! and the worst thing is most of it is the retailers add on`s. I mean they probably buy a 30 quid game for 5 pound. (Not sure about that).

But is it fair to say that they are all taking our money away. 40 quid for the game. 150 for the console or 100 for the graphics card (pc) then you get your extras like joystick etc.

Another annoying thing is that a month later the same game is half price in a sale then its clearance for £9.99!

I believe it’s fair to say they do steal our money but is it worth it?

Games costing 40 quid can give us hours of fun and pleasure; I mean ive wasted a good 20 hours on some games. And I do think my self that fun is one of the great enjoyments of life. But they are other ways of doing this.

For those that spend hours playing there play station 2 can you honestly say you don’t regret paying X amount for a game.

It really annoys me the price of games these days. When not even half is for the people that make it. Its all deleviry, profit add ons, vat.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you disagree with what I say then I will take no offence to what you say, after all its opinion.
Thu 06/03/03 at 09:26
Regular
Problem is (as we saw with the N64), put a £60 price tag on a game, and not many people buy it - well not compared with the PS1 games anyway. I can't imagine paying £60 or £70 for a game now.
Wed 05/03/03 at 23:21
Regular
but they wouldnt lose as much through piracy would they.
Wed 05/03/03 at 23:00
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
The most money i've had to pay for a game was 60 pounds. That was Conkers Bad Fur Day. Most of the N64 games are too high, but they're cartridges, which are more costly.
Wed 05/03/03 at 22:41
Regular
oh good.
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:32
Regular
"Twisted Ninja"
im still here
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:27
Regular
im all alone now
Wed 05/03/03 at 18:53
Regular
TN??? thats what amd man used to do
Hmm! i just think that cost of games is getting to high at the moment.
Wed 05/03/03 at 18:20
Regular
"Twisted Ninja"
Games cos alot to make in the first place though, due to Programmers and artist wanting to get more money with the increasing difficulty and complexity of the prgramming, every new game is striving to achieve a new level of graphics or gameplay. even a game like warcraft 2 (from ages ago) cost $750k dollars to make even though it only needed about 3 artists to make the models! it all depends on how well planned it is (as hours of work get thrown away if they do not go as planned with the game, so i suppose it is only fair that prices go up... however this does not mean that i am any less F**ked off about rising game prises!

TN
Wed 05/03/03 at 18:08
Regular
True
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, yeah, but I think generally people know if they will or won't by a game because of it's quality, not it's price.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.