GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSW reviews"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 10:58
Regular
I have to say that PSW reveiws are not good and some how biased, I'm sure most of you have read the Metal Gear Solid 2 review and they gave it 9 out of 10 and the guess what they give the PAL code of Devil May Cry, a 10 out of 10.

I think Metal Gear Solid 2 deserved a 10 out of 10 because for one it has no black borders like the PAL Devil May Cry and its a far better game, so if Metal Gear Solid 2 got a 9 out of 10 then Devil May Cry should have got far less becaue of a srap conversion.

Or did PSW get freebies from Capcom and none from Konami
Fri 21/12/01 at 01:01
Go Votts!

Yeah.
Thu 20/12/01 at 22:58
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> I think that if PSW can give games like Tony Hawks 3, Grant Turismo 3 and Devil
> May Cry 10 out of 10 then I reckon that Metal Gear Solid 2 should also get 10
> out of 10, thats my opinion.

I rest my case........

WHAT CASE!?!?!?!?

I'd like to know whether you have played TH3 or GT3 as well.

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that PSW gave those games better scores than MGS2 because they think they're better.

If you don't wanna hear their opinions then what on earth is the point in reading the mag.

Why even buy a mag? You've obviously decided on what the game SHOULD get so just make up your own review.

"I REST MY CASE........"
Thu 20/12/01 at 19:51
Regular
The_King wrote:
>Post the response friday afternoon!

That would be really helpful even though it might not change the score.
Thu 20/12/01 at 19:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Nice bit of info The_King.

I know that even though PSW is a independent magazine it still needs to be giving some games high scores. GT3 deserved 10/10 anyway, but as you said even if it only deserved 1/10 it would of probably got 9/10.

I read in the latest issue that one game, superstreet car challenge or something like that, that PSW never got a review copy. So they had to buy it and they of cousre said it was bad.

I think its wrong to maybe, be forced into giving a game a higher mark that it deserves as this can put the buyer wasting money on a game. This is why I normally go to another website aswell as this one and read user reviews. This gives me a broader view on what the game is like.
Thu 20/12/01 at 18:38
"You love us!"
Hmmm, I just had to post on this topic.

I used to work for PSW magazine as editorial manager (and PC Gameplay for that matter, both are produced by Computec Media) and I’d say that 7 times out of 10 the reviews are spot on. However, they only have two guys writing the reviews (mikey F and Steven williams with gary Cutlack doing the odd review now and then) and the problem is that Steve and Mikey tend to give games in the genre they LIKE better scores. For example someone said that GT3 got 10/10 - this was because Steve is a car nut and the editorial director (Richard L) loves the game big time - I believe he actually wrote the review. plus they got some kick backs from Sony. This game would have got 10/10 even if it was a complete turkey!

The problem with MGS 2 is that neither Mikey or Steve really like the game - they didn't like the original and I know for a fact that they weren't on tender hooks to play the sequel - unlike the rest of us!

Anyway, the difference between a 10/10 and a 9/10 is basically how the editor of the mag feels like on the day. I can imagine the conversation when something like this...(over a fag no doubt!) (that means you Steve Pearce, if you happen to be reading this)

Steven pearce (Ed): so MGS 2, 10 or 9?

Reviewer: hmmm, very good but I just didn't like the first one and this is the same game with better graphics!

Steven pearce: sod it, Sony didn't give us pre-release code and forced us to review the US version, so well give it 9 then!

And just to correct the person who said PSW are unofficial and there for don't need to worry about annoying publishers and developers - this is SO NOT THE CASE!
They may not be directly told what scores to give a game (like OPM2) but they certainly give marks based on the opinions and comments of the games publisher. You gotta' remember that if you give a Sony game (for an example) a bad reviews, how willing do you think Sony are going to be to send you their next big game early for review - NOT VERY. this is very probabley why MGS 2 only got 9/10 - Sony didn't give PSW access to the pre-release UK version so to show their displeasure they gave it 9!

The magazine business is ALL about politics – period!

However, I’m going down to Harrow-on-the-hill (Computec are based there) tonight to have a few xmas beers with the PSW guys, so to settle the debate once and for all I’ll ask the reviewer why it got 9/10 and not 10/10.

Post the response friday afternoon!
Thu 20/12/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Tony Hawks 3 didnt get 10/10 it got 9/10. DMC is an new type of game based on a old genre. Its fun, looks good so PSW gave it 10/10. MGS2 they said had cut scenes that were too long. As the game is played in 2 parts(Wont spoil it for anyone who doesnt know, and those who do know will know what I mean) The actual game feels like 2 parts. As the 2nd part gets you training like the first part. But to get to the second part you have to do the first part, so why do you need to train.

They say the Bosses are very dumb. The A.I normally is brillant but the bosses follow a pattern and they never change. They reviewed it honestly, saying that bits were wrong with it. Its an independent magazine so they give fair reviews. Everyone will still buy this game. Even if it got 5/10 alot of people will still buy the game. MGS2 is a good game, that only a few games ever manage to be as good, but its been hyped up too much. Same as PS2 was last year, its great now but this time last year I was playing on my DC as the PS2 had become boring.

The game spot website also didnt give MGS2 a perfect 10, it got 9.6. Halo got 9.8 and Tony Hawks 3 got a perfect 10.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:59
Regular
Jonman wrote:
> So let me get this straight. You're complaining about reviews in a magazine for
> 2 games, one of which you haven't played, and the other that you've played a
> demo of.

I'm with The Tarrant, you're a gimp.

I aint no gimp.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:53
Regular
I think that if PSW can give games like Tony Hawks 3, Grant Turismo 3 and Devil May Cry 10 out of 10 then I reckon that Metal Gear Solid 2 should also get 10 out of 10, thats my opinion.

I rest my case........
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:37
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
So let me get this straight. You're complaining about reviews in a magazine for 2 games, one of which you haven't played, and the other that you've played a demo of.

I'm with The Tarrant, you're a gimp.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:31
Regular
ßër§ëkër wrote:
> I fully agree with them I have had the chance to own both Devil May Cry and
> Metal Gear Solid 2: SOL and although the graphics in MGS were better DMC turned
> out to be just a little bit better of a game.

Now I'm not tring to down
> grade MGS2 because it is a great game but DMC just had so many things going for
> it.

When you get the game you will see what I am trying say because it is
> hard to put into words without giving details on MGS2.

So what score out of 10 would you give each game?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.