GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which is better: Windows or Mac?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/05/11 at 00:18
"The Videogame King"
I want to buy a laptop hopefully by Christmas time (my main objective is to get an AKAI XR20 Drum Machine). I have an iPod Touch, which is from Apple, and it is awesome. The Mac is also from Apple, and I have a feeling that if I like the Apple iPod Touch I'm really gonna like their laptop. But I've used Windows all my life and I'm not sure if I want to switch to Mac (I'll still have my desktop computer though).

I've read articles that Mac and Windows both haves some pros and cons but Mac is way better. Mac is also more expensive, and I believe that there are a lot more applications for Windows than there are for Mac.

All I want to know is in the title of this thread. Any response appreciated, thank you.
Thu 12/05/11 at 12:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
HeadHunterz wrote:
With Macs you get free software which you would have to pay for using Windows.

Could argue that point for Ubuntu?,the actual OS is free as well.
Thu 12/05/11 at 12:20
Regular
"Reality is a limit"
If you are experienced with using a mac, you should get one.

If you like simple and easy controls i suggest you choose windows.

RAM is more effective on macs, but may vary depending on your downloads.

Windows RAM usually stays the same but might not be as fast as a mac.

With Macs you get free software which you would have to pay for using Windows.

Windows offers a good customization to your computer's settings.

Macs offer EPIC custumization to your computer's settings.

ALL IN ALL, MACS ARE BETTER, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.
Tue 10/05/11 at 19:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Alfonse wrote:
If you are a man with the brain of a manatee, Mac is definitely the logical choice, as are turtle grass, the Niger river and short oo noises followed by long oo noises.

Presumably the West African variety :¬)
Tue 10/05/11 at 18:43
Regular
If you are a man with the brain of a manatee, Mac is definitely the logical choice, as are turtle grass, the Niger river and short oo noises followed by long oo noises.
Tue 10/05/11 at 17:33
"The Videogame King"
pb wrote:
Either will do then, though if you're reliant on a PC for gaming rather than having a console, the PC will still be the best choice. If you have a games console, go with Mac.

I have a backwards compatible PlayStation 3 and an XBOX so I'm not reliant on my PC for gaming

Personally, I prefer the Mac for media, but I've edited plenty of videos on PC as well. With PC you have the advantage of a wider choice of software (though less of an issue now with the Mac App Store - think iPod App Store for Mac).

I know that many programs for Windows (like ones you can buy in stores or download online) will also work on Mac and/or Linux.

Also, iTunes runs far better on Mac.

I would think that would be true because Mac and iTunes are from the same company. But it does run pretty good on windows, too (or at least the computers I've used it on).
Tue 10/05/11 at 17:10
Regular
"Twenty quid."
pb wrote:
[...] Also, iTunes runs far better on Mac.

I'd consider that a disadvantage.
Tue 10/05/11 at 16:49
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:

Can't disagree with that,iTunes wont even install on my Windows PC.

As for Video editing software I have recently tested a few of the latest programs for Windows and some are very good indeed (much improved from similar software that I have used in the past) and some of these programs are not expensive either.In the end I bought Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 and its superb,handles full HD clips no problem at all and produces excellent results.I do hear a lot of users comparing it to certain well known Mac applications and commenting that there really isn't all that much to choose between them.

My mate bought a MacBook Pro late last year and I have used it.It's pretty good to be fair but I do think it was extremely expensive for what it is.
Tue 10/05/11 at 15:40
"possibly impossible"
Either will do then, though if you're reliant on a PC for gaming rather than having a console, the PC will still be the best choice. If you have a games console, go with Mac.

Personally, I prefer the Mac for media, but I've edited plenty of videos on PC as well. With PC you have the advantage of a wider choice of software (though less of an issue now with the Mac App Store - think iPod App Store for Mac).

Tue 10/05/11 at 14:18
"The Videogame King"
pb wrote:
1) Use/Interface - depending on what you will use it for, the interface (windows or Mac OS front end) will work better for some things and not for others. Gaming is still better supported on Windows while DTP, art and Movie creation is better on Mac in general. However, this is slowly changing and both are getting better at everything in general.

I am a multimedia person. I enjoy creating videos, movies and cartoons. I create electronic music on my computer, and love playing videogames, especially racing games.
Tue 10/05/11 at 11:06
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The default 'error' sound on my Mac is a quack.

Your argument is invalid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.