GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt 2 banned in the UK"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt 2'.
Tue 19/06/07 at 16:32
Regular
Censors ban 'brutal' video game

British censors have banned a violent video game from the UK for the first time in a decade.

The video game Manhunt 2 was banned for its "unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying", the British Board of Film Classification said.

It means the Manhunt sequel cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK.

The parents of a Leicester schoolboy who blamed the original game for the murder of their 14-year-old son said they were "absolutely elated".

...continued
----

I've not played the first, but I think my brother did. Anything that gets a ban by the BBFC (is this a film or a game? BBF&GC :S) is a game I have to play!
Thu 21/06/07 at 23:23
Regular
Oh and a cat being microwaved. I don't want to play this game anymore ='(
Thu 21/06/07 at 23:18
Regular
The BBFC still has an 18R rating (R for restricted content): the old 'ask me & I'll get it from the back room that you don't really know about, , ' status. I'm surprised it didn't get that... but from what I understand, 18R is the AO equivalent.
Thu 21/06/07 at 20:52
Regular
"8==="
Hmmm Nintendo are definitely focusing less on Japan now then. If they were still on a 'we need to get our home crowd back' trip then with those events Manhunt 2 would be a shoe-in. :D

Anyone for a bath of sand?
Thu 21/06/07 at 19:50
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
> EDIT: Oh dear, apparently you can rape a woman and witness acts
> of nercrophilia.

I expected there would have to be something to make it worse than the original.
Thu 21/06/07 at 17:51
Regular
"8==="
AO is higher than an 18/17+ rating I believe. It more like the old 'x' ratings they had in england I think.
Thu 21/06/07 at 17:45
Regular
I think we're all old enough now to decide whether we should pay this game or not.

*sips kool-aid*

I really don't understand that from Nintendo. When the BBFC rated the Resis on Gamecube as 18 Nintendo still allowed it. Or are 18 and adults only not on the same level? I think I'm mature =\

EDIT: Oh dear, apparently you can rape a woman and witness acts of nercrophilia.
Thu 21/06/07 at 16:24
Regular
"8==="
"When Take-Two Interactive yesterday confirmed that the Entertainment Software Rating Board handed down a rating of AO for Adults Only for Rockstar Games' Manhunt 2 on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Nintendo Wii, the publisher said it was exploring its options.

GameSpot has confirmed with Nintendo and Sony that one of those options, which would be to accept the ESRB's judgment and release the game with the AO rating, isn't an option at all. Both companies forbid licensed third-party publishers from releasing games rated AO for Adults Only on their various hardware platforms. Though Manhunt 2 isn't slated for any of Microsoft's systems, the company has also confirmed that it does not allow AO-rated titles on the Xbox or Xbox 360.

The sole exception to this rule was in 2005 when the already released Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was retroactively rated AO, at which point retailers pulled it from shelves and Take-Two suspended production of the game.

"It's currently our policy not to allow the playback of AO-rated content on our systems," a Sony spokesperson told GameSpot.

Nintendo's official line was much the same. "Games made for Nintendo systems enjoy a broad variety of styles, genres, and ratings," a representative told GameSpot. "These are some of the reasons our Wii and Nintendo DS systems appeal to such a broad range of people. But as with books, television, and movies, different content is meant for different audiences. That's why the ESRB provides ratings to help consumers understand the content of a game before they purchase it. As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

Take-Two's most readily available alternatives are to appeal the ESRB's AO rating or to modify the game. As of press time, a Rockstar Games representative had not responded to GameSpot's inquiry about how either move would impact the game's scheduled July 10 release date. "
Thu 21/06/07 at 13:36
Regular
ahaha, disturbing my ass. The first one got boring after a while anyway.
Thu 21/06/07 at 00:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think the double-standard annoys a lot of people. A similar film would be exempt on the grounds of having some social validation or as an artform (obviously a load of crap) but games are still seen as a childrens toy, especially by retarded lazy parents who dont take the 18 certificate seriously.
Thu 21/06/07 at 00:39
Regular
I can understand why they'd ban the game, until there's a law against idiots having children I'm afraid this kind of censorship will continue.

I'm not saying everything should be passed by the BBFC, but I really think most people over 18 are quite capable of choosing whether they play the violent game or don't for themselves.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.