GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I bought Metroid Prime the other day..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Wed 02/04/03 at 23:45
Regular
Hmm...

As a first-time Nintendo owner, maybe someone can explain the history of this title to me; why is it seen as such a major title, and why are people dashing out to buy Gamecube's to play it?

Don't get me wrong! It *is* a very good game, and I am enjoying playing it, but while it's fun, for me there's certainly nothing particularly outstanding about it.

By that I mean it is definitely a game worth owning, but - and remember, this is just my opinion - it's not a game worth specifically buying a 'cube to play.

For me, there are already better games on Gamecube that people *didn't* rush out and buy the machine to play.
Sun 27/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Lou Role wrote:
> Madden, well Madden is going back to the shop next week, the memory I
> need to save everything is ridiculus. It takes up 2 and a half cards.

Well actually I'm just gonna keep the GC version, after I get another memo card it'll still be cheaper than the X-Box version. And this game is well good, at first I didn't have a clue what to do since I don't know much about American Football, but once things start to fall into place it really is a crackin game.
Sun 27/04/03 at 16:53
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Have you got the Plasma beam yet?

I hadn't. Have now though, didn't see those spinny things on the platforms first time round. And backtracked for ages because of it.

Just working on the last two artifacts now. One in the mines, doubt it'll be a problem, when I can be bothered to go back for it.

The one in the life grove is a little lamer though.
I assume I need to scan one of those symbols, matching the one below the water. But where is it? I've looked everywhere, but can't find the fricking thing. Any ideas?
Sun 27/04/03 at 01:04
Regular
Lou Role wrote:

> Madden, well Madden is going back to the shop next week, the memory I
> need to save everything is ridiculus. It takes up 2 and a half it should have stated that when I bought it because I bought a new
> card especially for the game (it says on the box that it takes 59
> blocks) but it doesn't say plus another 69 on top of that. I'll just
> exchange it for the X-Box version because it is a very good game but
> the memory is unbelievable.

Thats funning stupid, someone should give EA a good slapping.
Sun 27/04/03 at 00:44
Regular
There is no other game like it.

The fact that it can blend FPS, Platforming and Adventuring so perfectly makes it revolutionary.
Sun 27/04/03 at 00:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I completely agree with the original topic.

Metroid is certainly an excellent game - taking the FPS and adventure genres and creating a well crafted game in a flooded market. However, this is where the problem lies..

With all the major classic Nintendo titles, the thing that makes them classic is that they are extremely original, technically perfect and revolutionise some area of the industry.

This game, although good, is none of these. It's based on plenty of existing ideas and can hardly be seen to make huge leaps in the style of Mario64 or Zelda...

I've certainly enjoyed playing the game, but it hasn't really changed my perception of gaming at all.

SonicRav
Sat 26/04/03 at 22:28
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well I've just played this and to be honest, it's alright but nothing to shout about, not the most amazing game I've played.

But I also got Super Mario Suinshine and Madden 2003.

SMS is very good, I don't normally play platformers but this one is pretty decent.

Madden, well Madden is going back to the shop next week, the memory I need to save everything is ridiculus. It takes up 2 and a half cards, it should have stated that when I bought it because I bought a new card especially for the game (it says on the box that it takes 59 blocks) but it doesn't say plus another 69 on top of that. I'll just exchange it for the X-Box version because it is a very good game but the memory is unbelievable.
Sat 26/04/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I said I wasn't going to get this because to me it looked boring. But glancing through the second hand bin, up pops Metroid Prime for 20 quid.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'll see if my opinion has changed just shortly.

:)
Sat 26/04/03 at 16:34
Regular
"  "
I got it today. Just beat that boss sorta mechanical thing where those nasty red wasps keep flying around you :P
Sat 26/04/03 at 16:12
"High polygon count"
Sibs wrote:
> One minor inconsistency I found was that the Plasma beam can kill a
> Sheegoth just by blasting the Sheegoth anywhere... but when you fight
> Baby Sheegoths you still have to get round the back of them to kill
> them even with the Plasma beam

True.

I stopped playing at about 90% done because I bought Primal. Have finished that now, but haven't yet built up the desire to go back to MP.

Listing some stuff on eBay at the moment, then I'll probably go on to some PC demos I downloaded.
Fri 25/04/03 at 23:11
Regular
Dr Duck wrote:

> K, done that, but the next room had a red door, so it didn't seem to
> lead to much...
>
> Got the x-ray visor, for a reminder of where I'm up to. Help?
>
> (Don't want hints on, as I'm looking for the bare minimum info to end
> the fricking backtracking...)

Have you got the Plasma beam yet?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.