GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SLOW SLOW Broadband - Edinburgh Node"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/10 at 11:21
Regular
I have had very slow broadband speed <100Kbps now for 4 weeks. I am not seeking help through the forums but rather want ed to get some feedback as to whether anyone else out there in Freeolaland was in the same situ.

Freeola have infromed me that their wholesalers and BTW are on the case and a fix is imminent, but then that was a week ago.

Am I alone?
Wed 08/09/10 at 11:37
"Are you sure?"
Hi Match,
You mention Stornoway. BT have a MSO (Major Service Outage) for the Machrie area which (I think?!) is in your part of the world.
surprised you've got electricity up there! ;¬)

They say it should be cleared within "2 Hours"...
the MSO was opened on Monday - it's probably being saying "2 hours" since then! :¬P

Perhaps it's not the same issue though as you mention having problems for a few weeks.

It would be good if this is related though.
If not feel free to post your connection stats -
Sync/Attenuation/SNR/IP Profile in case that gives any clues.

EDIT: Digi you don't appear to have the same issue as Match.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 08/09/10 at 10:30
Regular
Match wrote:
>

digi has had this experiance as well
> To be honest I was a little sceptical as simliar problems I have
> had in the past have always seem to be resolved by the flick of a
> switch at the local exchange in Stornoway (check the BBC weather
> map if you're wondering where that is!)
>
Digi wrote... Oh how I so agree with this see my post on slow slow internet

> Probably the most annoying thing at the beginning is the fact
> that BT, backed by ISP's do not accept the problem is their
> responsibility until the customer swaps out their bits and
> pieces. I would much rather pay £160 call out charge if I
> was proved wrong and get the problem identified and sorted
> quickly than be 4 weeks down the line with the problem
> unresolved.
>
> BT and ISP's need to revise their procedures to be more customer
> focussed. Every time I get an invitation to "Come back to
> us" from BT I curse profusely and swear that I will never do
> so - and these experiences reinforce that.
>
> VENT over!
Wed 08/09/10 at 09:59
Regular
Hi guys
for wht its worth my inernet is very slow today compared with normal and trying to FTP into the freeola servers is painfully slow toaday! I am 50 miles south of Edinburgh in the Scottish Borders, I ran a speed test here are my results.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4081 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

I will phone Freeola but based on my last fault fully expect them to say that there is no fault, I can add to this that others in the village are having the sme problem though.

Digi

phoned it in and can confirm I am on the Edinburgh node, but they dont think my problem is conected but they will update BTW about this. I know my speeds are still a lot faster than yours but nothing like what they should be for me.
Wed 08/09/10 at 09:26
Regular
Thanks Hmmm!

I am on Edinburgh IPSC. I reported my speed issues 4 weeks back and having done the usual buy a new router and filters to rule out any problems with my own equipment (as BT usually ask ISP's to check even though we know 100% the problem is outside the property), Freeola came back with BT were on the case and that they had a problem at the Edinburgh node.

To be honest I was a little sceptical as simliar problems I have had in the past have always seem to be resolved by the flick of a switch at the local exchange in Stornoway (check the BBC weather map if you're wondering where that is!)

I was informed yesterday that BT were stating that they had resolved the issue. Ran more speed tests (BT Test 1) 8Kbps!!
Test 2 and 3 cannot be run as bt_test_user doesn't connect. Informed Freeola support that the issue was not resolved and awaiting reply. I was also informed the issue had affected a 'handful' of freeola customers hence the post.

I am not that well up on connections etc.. but after this am trying to learn a bit more about what/where/how these things happen.

There is no doubt my patience has long worn thin. I am happy to receive advice/assistance here but don't want to confuse any discussions with freeola support.

Probably the most annoying thing at the beginning is the fact that BT, backed by ISP's do not accept the problem is their responsibility until the customer swaps out their bits and pieces. I would much rather pay £160 call out charge if I was proved wrong and get the problem identified and sorted quickly than be 4 weeks down the line with the problem unresolved.

BT and ISP's need to revise their procedures to be more customer focussed. Every time I get an invitation to "Come back to us" from BT I curse profusely and swear that I will never do so - and these experiences reinforce that.

VENT over!
Tue 07/09/10 at 18:57
"Are you sure?"
Hi Match,
Sounds a bit strange, but as you aren't seeking help I won't bore you! :¬)

Re "Am I alone?" -
All running fine here on my Faraday IPSC node.

You don't say if you are on an IPSC or WBC connection.

I've checked the Freeola nodes both IPSC(20CN) and WBC(21CN) a few times throughout the day and the Edinburgh nodes have been pretty lightly utilised so things should be running fine.

As you don't appear to wish to dig deeper it's hard to say more other than you must have a local line issue or similar.

I'm not sure if this helps or not?!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 07/09/10 at 11:21
Regular
I have had very slow broadband speed <100Kbps now for 4 weeks. I am not seeking help through the forums but rather want ed to get some feedback as to whether anyone else out there in Freeolaland was in the same situ.

Freeola have infromed me that their wholesalers and BTW are on the case and a fix is imminent, but then that was a week ago.

Am I alone?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.