GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SLOW SLOW Broadband - Edinburgh Node"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/10 at 11:21
Regular
I have had very slow broadband speed <100Kbps now for 4 weeks. I am not seeking help through the forums but rather want ed to get some feedback as to whether anyone else out there in Freeolaland was in the same situ.

Freeola have infromed me that their wholesalers and BTW are on the case and a fix is imminent, but then that was a week ago.

Am I alone?
Sat 11/09/10 at 17:59
Regular
Thanks Hmmm..

I have been looking at that forum and haven't seen anything either, but I was thinking more along the lines of a speed test site which collated info and could perhaps point to problematic areas/regions/nodes.

Much akin to what I would have hoped BT would have - the capability to analyse the speed test data submitted to their servers which when coupled to the phone number that you enter would, one would have hoped, highlight to them that they have a problem and then at least they could stop denying it!!!
Sat 11/09/10 at 11:37
"Are you sure?"
Match wrote:
> What would be really useful would be a website where users could
> log their problems independent of ISP where a picture of any
> major faults could be highlighted publicly - maybe BT could host
> it!!!

Hi Match,
There is such a forum!
No one else is currently reporting issues like yours though - else I would have mentioned it :¬)

I think Freeola are happy with this forum as they've mentioned it themselves in the past - but they are welcome to delete it if it causes a problem!
ThinkBroadband/Entanet there are plenty of other useful sections on TBB.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 11/09/10 at 11:18
Regular
Hi Hmmm..

Thanks for the moral support!!

No I don't have any neighbours with same problem. Freeola support stated to me that a number (maybe 8 or so) other Freeola customers on the Edinburgh Node had same speed problems as me, and they all started around the same time.
They also mentioned other ISP's who had customers in the same boat.

I had a quick (by that I mean frustratingly slow) look at some other forums and there seems to be a couple of Tiscali customers in discussion on TalkTalk forum regarding download speeds <100Kbps, but can't find much more. No mention on those forums of locations or Edinburgh node though.

What would be really useful would be a website where users could log their problems independent of ISP where a picture of any major faults could be highlighted publicly - maybe BT could host it!!!
Sat 11/09/10 at 09:39
"Are you sure?"
Hi Match,
Sorry to see things are still slower than dialup for you!
Hopefully people are on the case to resolve things - but it seems to be taking a while :¬(

I think you mentioned some neighbours also have similar issues - are they being told the same as you from their ISPs?

With your current speeds it looks like you would be better off using the Free dialup facility Freeola supply when there are ADSL problems - it's got me out of trouble a few times in the past.

Since you were last here I'm helping my elderly (85) father who has lost sync completely. He's nearly a 400 mile round trip away from me so getting the 'Test Socket' tests and router swaps completed has been quite tricky(!) but we got them done yesterday. So like you he's now also in the hands of Freeola.

At least with Freeola you can contact them and understand them unlike some other ISPs.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 11/09/10 at 09:13
Regular
Doesn't seem to me that anything about BT is very robust!

I have not been able to run the Test 2 and 3 as my router won't connect witht the bt_test_user login setup, so Test 1 is as far as I ever get. Although at the speed I am running at it would probably take a day to run their other tests.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 21 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7840 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Oh I got a nice email from Freeola saying "Thankyou for your payment" - bless them.
Thu 09/09/10 at 11:24
"Are you sure?"
Unfortunately the BT Performance Tester isn't too robust so often returns those sorts of messages.

Don't you just love broadband troubles :¬(
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 09/09/10 at 10:04
Regular
Another day another speed test, well maybe not:

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Hopefully this means someone somewhere has unplugged something and is working on it. I live in hope.
Wed 08/09/10 at 18:01
"Are you sure?"
Wow - 8128 connection where you are *green*!

I'm 20 miles from London and can only manage 5xxx on my long(ish) line - 51db.

There's obviously something seriously wrong with your line/connection. Hopefully the right people will get to grips with it soon!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 08/09/10 at 17:46
Regular
Hi Hmmm..

Machrie - wrong Island!

The word on the street/Freeola is that BT denying problem but there are a number of users and I believe ISPs with the same issue as I and starting on the same date 4 weeks back and the only common denom is the Edin Node - so there is something not working the way it should there.

I can't post v. often as you can imagine it's taking about 2 miniutes to load the forum page.

My BT speed test this AM was:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Will have look at your suggestions Hmmm when I have time and hope to post.
Wed 08/09/10 at 11:52
Regular
Hi Hmm

yeah I know its not the same issue, my problem started today the only connection between me and Match is that we are on the same node. And for what its worth I think my problem will have been caused by the severe weather we had yesterday here in the Borders, thunder, lightning, heavy heavy rain and wait for it! HAILSTONES the size of footballs! I kid you not, so am guessing that there may be parts of the "pipes" in several feet of water this morning, and am sure that wont help. I have been running speed checks since this morning at various intervals and the line is up and down like a Yo Yo, 6.7 download then a 1.3 download even the uploads are variable the stable thing is the ping sitting at around 50

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.