GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Ghosts""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/10 at 12:56
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Do you believe in ghosts?

I believe in ghosts but I'm not convinced that 'ghosts' are neccessarily the spirits of the dead.

Consider the possibility of alternate dimensions/parallel universes, or whatever you want to call them and that time is the fourth dimension, then isn't it possible for time to sometimes 'cross over' into other dimensions and that people are in fact seeing echoes in time whenever we hear about these 'ghost stories'?

Since we're on the subject, does anyone have any ghost stories of their own?
Thu 14/10/10 at 19:46
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
Call me crazy if you want but as a psychic myself I can categorically say that I believe in "ghosts" and the paranormal but I do find the excuses some of the so called critics and skeptics use are absolutely absurd and some of them can frankly be down right rude.

As has been said in this thread the simple fact of the matter is that science is as yet to prove or disprove whether or not ghosts exist and although many tests on psychics and mediums have proven inconclusive or unsuccessful it doesn't for a minute prove that there aren't any genuine ones out there. It doesnt even prove that the ones they tested aren't actually psychics or mediums it just means that for whatever reason, they failed the tests most likely due to nerves, even if they're not feeling nervous just knowing its a test could have a factor.

What may prove more productive is testing a psychic or a medium when they are at their most comfortable, without them knowing, that would help rule out the possibility of nerves or subconscious signals having any effect on the test. The problem with these scientific tests is that whether the person wants to admit it or not it puts them under a great deal of pressure to perform well, because only naturally they will want to succeed but the fear of being wrong can often be very distracting to a psychic.

The bottom line is perhaps they could test as many psychics and mediums as they want to and even if they all fail, ultimately it wont disprove that ghosts, the paranormal and psychic abilities and so forth don't exist, quite simply they cant and its highly doubtful they ever will, so when someone says to you I can can categorically tell you there's no such thing as ghosts, psychics or the paranormal (as many will) they have no right to claim that .

True you could question why nobody has ever caught a ghost on camera or film or been proven scientifically to be psychic or able to communicate with the dead but perhaps "they" just don't want to the whole world to know yet, or perhaps it has just been purely circumstantial coincidence which has prevented anything substantial from being caught on film or camera, we may never know, but there will always be those who will even deny it if someone caught a real ghost on film and proved it was no hoax, because sadly many people would deny the obvious that was right infront of their noses simply because it would change everything they believe in and that would probably terrify most people.

Perhaps the paranormal will always remain a mystery but it's a mystery with millions upon millions of believers and followers some even with their own experiences and that alone has got to say something, regardless of what any critic or skeptic may say. Nobody will be able to change my belief but nevertheless everyone is entitled to their own opinion it would just be nice if they weren't so damn cold and inconsiderate about it but hey it's human nature, there will always be two sides to a story and which side you choose to believe is up to you.
Tue 12/10/10 at 13:35
Regular
"sunner"
i believe in ghosts because i have seen one it was 2 years ago and i was sat in my living on my own and i saw i man walk through my door along the room and disappear i did not go home for a week
Mon 30/08/10 at 18:53
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
With all the talk of Sleep Paralysis over the last couple of weeks, I've been expecting to wake up some night to find me looking at some sort of freaky shadows, figures or what have you. Last night I woke suddenly and saw a shape right in front of my face and jumped a mile.

Don't get exited though, it wasn't anything paranormal, it was my little 2 year old daughter who decided to come through to the room and stand right by me, so when I woke she was right by my face, so when I jumped she bolted straight out the room too because I gave her such a fright. It was a shame, but funny looking back on it now.

:)
Fri 27/08/10 at 18:47
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Bob_the_Moose wrote:
> On the other hand, if the evidence has to be defended from
> falsification attempts by meta-arguments, e.g. calling its
> criticisers 'closed', then it's just not very convincing.

But at the same time most criticisers call us mad and stupid for even attempting to look for anything that is searching for explanations for the events witnessed. Constant "you faked it", "it was a wiring fault" or "you imagined it" is a rubbish argument to take against it.

True matrixing happens. True programs such as Most Haunted fabricate events (entertainment show...money money money...) and lots of people make huge amounts of money providing the fear factor for people. It can be a big money-making business!

But to those that have experienced things that are beyond comprehension (hearing and feeling people walk around you in the dark, even though you can physically see and know nobody is there), having things move on their own accord (no real reasons behind it) and also having physical marks on your body from events where you have been "attacked" by something that isn't there. I want to find the science behind it, not just say it was ghost that did it.

Things that cannot be easily explained DO happen. I will argue that fact until I die. But you have to be open to the idea that you won't get an answer and science at the current level will not be able to explain all of them. It could be entities of unknown origin. It could be glitches in the matrix-like universe or it could be something science hasn't discovered yet.

EDIT: Drawing further on pb's post, the Kraken was a mythical creature and a big topic in the cryptozoology field. People were though to be crazy in believing in it and the people that saw it even more so. Science has since made the discovery of the Giant Squid - which the description has matched the Kraken almost exactly. So there is a given example of something that has featured in the paranormal field and has since had science prove it being there. If science had just said they were all idiots and postponed their studies into trying to find it, this creature never may have been found.

I think I'm going to leave this conversation now as everything that needs to be said has been said. The argument will always be there, even if science proves or disproves the events that I have witnessed. There will be NO piece of evidence that fully proves or disproves all aspects of the paranormal and I'm sure there will be arguments in each field on both sides of the fence.

I can safely say for those that do not like my hobby of trying to get my head around the strange events I have witnessed by providing arguments for and against the event being of paranormal reason do not have to read my website. I also don't want to be labelled as a believer or non-believer. I want the truth and I only share my team's findings because most people have at least a passing interest in the paranormal field.
Fri 27/08/10 at 13:44
"possibly impossible"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> But this idea of 'equality', that all outcomes are equiprobable,
> worthy of equal consideration, 'open mindedness', etc, is without
> basis, and promotes bad science right from the start. The class
> of scientific investigation under which the paranormal would fall
> has of key importance the idea of falsifiability. An idea
> (hypothesis) becomes a bit more than an idea only after a serious
> attempt to show it's without any real merit. If it and its
> evidence stands up to criticism then there might be something in
> it. On the other hand, if the evidence has to be defended from
> falsification attempts by meta-arguments, e.g. calling its
> criticisers 'closed', then it's just not very convincing.
>
> Sorry if you don't like it, but that's how science works and
> nobody's found a better way of advancing human knowledge. The
> burden of proof and Occam's razor makes the sceptic's position
> perfectly justifiable.

I fully agree with what you're trying to say, but it means that a sceptic must be sceptical about everything and anything without reasonable proof. As it stands, if there is a scientific explanation for something (ie: something explained by our current understanding of science) then it will be proved, but if no evidence can be found for the event then we have to assume that something else causes it, which doesn't have to mean something Paranormal in the way some people think of the phrase, but certainly something 'outside-of-the-norm' in that it may be proved later to be something normal once we have understanding and scientific proof of it.

The way of thinking I am arguing against is that something outside of our current scientific knowledge cannot possibly exist. I know that's not where you were going and obviously science would not progress unless new experiments were done in 'unknown' or fringe science, and of course the inclusion of the happy accident that science has relied on for all these years to produce new theory and fact.
Fri 27/08/10 at 13:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Can't say I understood that :P

I'm skeptical about the existence of the paranormal, but my view is each to their own. If people want to believe in it all, that's fine, I can't disprove the existence. If people choose to be skeptical like myself, that's fine because nobody can fully prove the existence of the paranormal (so far). Maybe there are ghosts that I've been ignoring all these years, but it doesn't change my view of things.
Fri 27/08/10 at 13:15
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
But this idea of 'equality', that all outcomes are equiprobable, worthy of equal consideration, 'open mindedness', etc, is without basis, and promotes bad science right from the start. The class of scientific investigation under which the paranormal would fall has of key importance the idea of falsifiability. An idea (hypothesis) becomes a bit more than an idea only after a serious attempt to show it's without any real merit. If it and its evidence stands up to criticism then there might be something in it. On the other hand, if the evidence has to be defended from falsification attempts by meta-arguments, e.g. calling its criticisers 'closed', then it's just not very convincing.

Sorry if you don't like it, but that's how science works and nobody's found a better way of advancing human knowledge. The burden of proof and Occam's razor makes the sceptic's position perfectly justifiable.
Wed 25/08/10 at 18:33
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> If you go in assuming it IS something paranormal then this is
> just as closed minded as if you go in assuming it's something
> currently explainable.

This is an important point to make. I have worked with people that assume every little thing is a spirit or a ghost, when it is obvious that it isn't. They are as tricky as the other extreme.

I've never seen a Bugatti Veyron (other than on TV). As I have never seen it with my eyes, heard it with my ears or touched it with my hands, how can I be certain to its existence other than to be open to the talk about it among my friends and the images I have seen of it on TV being real.

You may think I'm daft comparing these events to an object that (well I assume) exists. But if you think about it, ghosts are snapped on camera, talked about in books and magazines and have a lot of people that have experienced things along those lines. I'm open to the Veyron existing based on the media I am presented with.

And I'm sure events of paranormal phenomena are more common than the Veyron...

*note, I am not being paid to sponsor any product here...I just picked something rare that I could use as an example.

EDIT: Derryn and the like dismiss evidence on face value and do not aim to see if it could be collected in a different way or a way to help prove the evidence's credibility. That's why he just says "it's nothing" and walks away. Honestly, if he was more open, he'd look for evidence himself.
Wed 25/08/10 at 16:13
Regular
"How Ironic"
Despite not believing in the paranormal myself, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What Jason was trying to point out is that wether you're skeptical or wether you believe in it, it's irrelevant, the point is to see what happens, and investigate what you can about it. You can't just say "Well there's obviously a rational explanation" in the same way that you can't just say "Oh, it's definitely that ghost we've been told about". An open mind doesn't mean a mind that believes in anything, an open mind is willing to analyze what they see, come to a conclusion, and move on. What have your own beliefs got to do with it?
Wed 25/08/10 at 15:51
"possibly impossible"
It's open minded to believe that there may be an explanation beyond our current scientific understanding that will one day become science. I'd say phrases like para-psychology and paranormal actually get in the way of this idea.

If you go in assuming it IS something paranormal then this is just as closed minded as if you go in assuming it's something currently explainable.

However, if you then go in and use current scientific understanding and instrumentation to try and get readings or evidence to support any physical connection this isn't being closed minded as long as you support the theory that there may be something beyond current understanding.

If tomorrow 'spirits' were found to exist because they were echoes of another dimension we would have measurements and this would form part of our scientific understanding of the world, but you can't get to this stage unless you entertain the idea that there are alternatives to established science as it stands today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.