GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X Box Live, How can Sony hope to compete?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
Hear that rolling sound? That because Sony dropped the ball on internet connectivity. Microsoft have picked it up, got their FPS line up sorted and seem destined to win the online battle by default. Sony have been way too slow. Microsoft are currently gearing their top titles for XBox live, for instance Halo 2 and PGR2. Also through May there's Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein. What have Sony unleashed as far as FPS's go? Tribes 2. erm..

Plus for the ps2 you actually have to buy the modem and buy the harddisk.

Am I overlooking something? aside from the blind loyalty factor?
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:08
Regular
"8==="
I think the middle 'fact' is a little unlikely - people are not that stupid. 500 quid for the fanatics only methinks

Erm, the PSX came out when everything was pretty much 2 ports. what i was saying was that ps2 should have progressed to 4 ports when every other console did. the only good reason i can think of not to is to scam more money out of the ps2 owner/purchaser. if it wasn't then Sony's logic is a bit flawed. When competing against 3 competitors (dreamscast was still going at ps2 launch so its included) you don't adopt a "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude. That's just asking for trouble.

They'll probably do it with the PS3 and once again i probably won't buy one
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:27
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Hedfix wrote:
> I think the middle 'fact' is a little unlikely - people are not that
> stupid. 500 quid for the fanatics only methinks

The Saturn launched at £400 and sold well enough. Take a massivley popular machine like the playstation...and it could easily happen.

> Erm, the PSX came out when everything was pretty much 2 ports. what i
> was saying was that ps2 should have progressed to 4 ports when every
> other console did. the only good reason i can think of not to is to
> scam more money out of the ps2 owner/purchaser.

Well it is the only real reason. It's cheaper, and it gets them more money. Win/win for Sony, and people are willing to pay extra money for a multitap. I don't have one, but I still play multiplayer with friends.

> When competing against 3 competitors
> (dreamscast was still going at ps2 launch so its included) you don't
> adopt a "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude. That's
> just asking for trouble.

And look how much trouble Sony are in!!!

> They'll probably do it with the PS3 and once again i probably won't
> buy one

Buyintg three extra controllers will cost a fair bit for 4 player gaming, so what's another tenner on top for a multitap? If you won't buy a console, no matter how many great games you want are on it just because it only has 2 slots, then you're really very silly.
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:35
Regular
"8==="
i was taking into account Nintendo's and Microsoft's offerings and the likely hood that i'd get those again. besides, aside from GTA and (PSX) doom, sony's machines have never really offered anything to get me to buy one. so likely hood i wont. Also i like my multiplayer, so i'll get the one which is geared up to multiplayer the most. That's why i got my xbox, i can design countless levels on the harddisk for timesplitters 2 and then play them against my mates.

10 quids not too bad for a multitap and hopefully the ps3 multitap will be that price. but some of us still remember our friends hiring out the original PSX multitap because 80 quid for a multitap was just stupid. Thats why some of us think long and hard before considering sony
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
£80???

I got my PSX multi tap for £20 on release.
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:39
Regular
"8==="
sorry i mean playstation not psx
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:48
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
psx is the playstation

?
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:54
Regular
"8==="
yup. i'm getting the ps one confused with psx/playstation.

So yeah at launch it was 80 quid for a multitap (actually it was so long ago it might've been the 8 player one. was there one? i can't remember!)
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:56
Regular
El Blokey wrote:

>
> The Saturn launched at £400 and sold well enough.

Yeah...so well it led to Sega's retreat from the hardware industry.
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:00
Regular
"8==="
i couldn't be bothered to comment on the saturn 'fact'. basically because if ps3 launched at 400 quid it would be suicide. i expect microsoft and nintendo would release their consoles at a loss again and bingo: ps3 go bye bye.
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Your last comment made it all the more clear.
You dislike sony.

Dunno why, maybe because they have done so well compared to others, maybe because you don't own one. Or maybe like many others on here you just don't know why.

There are loads of biased views on here everyday.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.