GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X Box Live, How can Sony hope to compete?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
Hear that rolling sound? That because Sony dropped the ball on internet connectivity. Microsoft have picked it up, got their FPS line up sorted and seem destined to win the online battle by default. Sony have been way too slow. Microsoft are currently gearing their top titles for XBox live, for instance Halo 2 and PGR2. Also through May there's Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein. What have Sony unleashed as far as FPS's go? Tribes 2. erm..

Plus for the ps2 you actually have to buy the modem and buy the harddisk.

Am I overlooking something? aside from the blind loyalty factor?
Wed 07/05/03 at 01:00
Regular
Xbox live is no doubt a good setup, I just don't seen any games on it yet that are really that intresting.

Though Wolfenstein might change that.
Wed 07/05/03 at 11:28
Regular
"8==="
I think that downloadable content is a big plus for xbox live, also the annual fee hopefully means that Microsoft's inhouse titles, aswell as others, will be free to play (unlike PSO which has got me reconsidering buying it already). Hopefully some games will be optimised so you can have your own music in the game whilst online, which's is cool offline. Also the rumour that unreal is 4 player online through one xbox sounds cool, i have no proof of this however. I do have proof that mechassault is 2 player online through one xbox, which is cool. Also Xbox have Rare and therfore Perfect Dark, and when that hits the stores I won't care about any other game in existence. How good is Perfect Dark going to be? Can't wait!
Wed 07/05/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
SOCOM still looks dated though, and no magazine I've seen rates it over the fabulous Ghost Recon, which despite problems is still what I'd say as being the best Live game there is right now.

Eventually it's going to come down to the games and broadband access. Doesn't matter what Sony or Microsoft do, if you haven't got broadband then that's abig stumbling block, and given that the Playstation 2 user base is probably so large because so many kids (probably) bought it for the GTA series then the size of that user base is no guarantee of success.

FM, think you're being a bit optimistic about Sony ironing out all the flaws before release ! MS thought they'd done the same but once it went into public use tons more came up, and MS have had far more experience in this field than Sony have.
Wed 07/05/03 at 12:07
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
Also Xbox have Rare and therfore Perfect Dark, and when
> that hits the stores I won't care about any other game in existence.
> How good is Perfect Dark going to be? Can't wait!

Hopefully very good, the release of Perfect Dark and a Banjo Kazooie game might be enough to convince me to get a Xbox.

Though a lot of the Goldeneye team have left Rare and joined Free Radical and Zoonami and judging by Starfox Adventures, Rare are really a shadow of their former company.

Things don't look good.
Wed 07/05/03 at 12:11
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Plus the video footage of Kameo didn't look that interesting either.
Wed 07/05/03 at 12:24
Regular
"8==="
thing is RARE aren't that original. They're mainly combiners. they combine elements of different games rather than creating a fully original game. Banjo k and DK sprang from mario, Star fox adventures from Zelda and DK.
good games but not original. Jet force gemini and goldeneye seemed like games created from scratch and shine through. They are the exceptions but RARE can't help but make good games even if its mainly by improving upon other companys ideas.

oh and don't forget Conker.

Time splitters 2 was good but no peefect dark. too cartoony, too fast and the computer players have a nasty habit of lineing up against the player even though its a free for all game.

Timesplitters lacks perfect darks balance between quake/unreal playability and say something like delta forces accuracy.

To be honest the nearest i've seen anybody come to perfect dark has been James Bond Nightfire, and that was still way off because you could only have 2 teams, but its certainly on the right lines.
Wed 07/05/03 at 16:37
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Hedfix wrote:
> I was still talking about FPS games mainly, I'm still unconvinced by
> the games you've suggested. Its sad that the harddisk is being delayed
> 'downloadable content' is bound to be lacking for a while on PS2.

Sony have never boasted about extra downloadable content for games out at the moment, unlike Microsoft. It's never been a big priority which is why, a year after it came out in Japan, the HDD isn't even out in America yet.

> I asked 'do they [Sony] think that people are mugs?' and you
> suggesting they'd still buy the PS2 if it had no ports and was 500
> quid suggests you do think sony believe people are mugs.

Sony don't think people are mugs. They KNOW it. The majority of games players buy a Playstation, and play Fifa. But they also recognise the importance of more streetwise gamers, which is why they have this online strategy planned with loads of games.

I appreciate your attempts to get some discussions rolling on the board, but come on. First of all you 'forget' to say that this whole post is just about one specific genre which the Xbox clearly has in a deathgrip (Halo 2, Perfect Dark 0, Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, Half-Life 2...), and then when I give more examples of Playstation 2 online games you just say 'I'm not convinced'.

Sony aren't competing with Microsoft, they're slaughtering them. The online war will be no different.
Wed 07/05/03 at 17:22
Regular
"8==="
this was my first discussion post so i neglected to fully define the FPS element. Anyway i think the general perception at the moment is 'if you want to go online now you get an xbox or a gamecube'. If they get those wanting to go online NOW i'll be glad. because as a couple of people have said now sony think people are mugs, so why bother support a system which treats its users in such a way? I have seen everquest and the final fantasy games, and yes i'm not convinced. Now if baldurs gate went online for ps2.....

GTA online would be excellent and i would probably get a ps2

but as it stands Xbox is outdoing Sony as far as online capability.

I just hope the 'downloadable content' turns into a 'new level every two weeks' for some of the later games. or perhaps even a sharing of designed levels downloadable to, you've guessed it, the good old harddisk.

I had an n64, quality games poorly marketed, the ps one was pitiful in comparison, now its an xbox and a gamecube, and no ps2. why? Because the majority of quality games i want to play are on cube and xbox, with the exception being GTA, and sony treat people like mugs.

So those of you who want to continue purchasing sony in the full knowledge that they think your mugs go right ahead. leave the quality games and gameplay to those with an Xbox and/or a Cube
Wed 07/05/03 at 17:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I fail to see where all you folk are getting sony treating folk as mugs?

Sony have the biggest selling console. They still shift units in their thousands every week. Not bad for a console that has been out for quite some time.

In terms of sales and profit making the XBox up until the heavy price drops did very poor.

If you are comming to the conclusion that Sony treat PS2 owners badly because of the cost then thats stupid. Sony sell the console at a price people will pay that also sees them do well out of it.
The others make a loss on the sales of their consoles.

Put yourself in their shoes. If you were selling something would you start to lower the price even though people are happy to pay it just because it would be nice for others?

Sony's on-line network hasn't even got off the ground in a mayor way yet. So trying to compare any of the consoles and their on-line extras in that way is just not possible. In a few months time maybe but now right now.
Wed 07/05/03 at 17:41
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Hedfix wrote:
> Anyway i think the general perception at the moment is
> 'if you want to go online now you get an xbox or a gamecube'.

Because PS2 Online IS NOT RELEASED YET. And actually, the PC is still the home of online gaming.

> but as it stands Xbox is outdoing Sony as far as online capability.

They probably have a better set up, but 'how can Sony compete' is a stupid way to look at it.

> I just hope the 'downloadable content' turns into a 'new level every
> two weeks' for some of the later games. or perhaps even a sharing of
> designed levels downloadable to, you've guessed it, the good old
> harddisk.

You are talking about wishful thinking, not the FACTS. So far, all Xbox Live has been used for to download is patches.

> I had an n64, quality games poorly marketed, the ps one was pitiful in
> comparison

The N64 sold fabulously. But the PSX sold AMAZINGLY. And it wasn't pitiful in comparison. ISS Pro Evolution, Metal Gear Solid, Dance Dance Revolution, Tony Hawk, Spyro, Final Fantasy...shall I go on?

> now its an xbox and a gamecube, and no ps2. why? Because
> the majority of quality games i want to play are on cube and xbox,
> with the exception being GTA

The PS2 has the most (generally accepted) classic games, FACT. And sequels aside (despite some being amazing, like PES2) you have Rez, Ico, Ratchet and Clank et al.

I agree with Aliboy - why do you keep saying Sony think people are mugs? It's true they have a huge powerful brand, but they back it up with games like GTA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.